Ya know, people are strange.....

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SUPERDAD
Approved Member

Ya know, people are strange.....

Post by SUPERDAD »

Ok, its a given we all do ebay. I was watching an item that went above what it was worth to me. Ok, no problem. But somebody made 11 bids in 3 minutes, 2 bucks at a time! Still isin't the high bidder! Just make your highest bid and get out of the way. This is almost as bad to me as starting a pissing match in the feedback forum, looks very childish. :roll:
"Sometimes in life, you ain't gotta like it. You just gotta do it." Quote from my own SUPERDAD. RIP 5/10/14

RichieRich
Approved Member

Re: Ya know, people are strange.....

Post by RichieRich »

Probably an ebay noob, right?

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

well ebay has a 1 click bid tool now, i dont know if you ever used it or saw it but it just lets you keep clicking and bidding the next increment up, thats probably what it was

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

either that or he was trying to make the auction go higher without actually winning the item. Who knows.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

RC Chick wrote:either that or he was trying to make the auction go higher without actually winning the item. Who knows.
i do that sometimes too, but i always intend to win if i bid.. ill bid in small increments, first, to try and get the winning bid, and second to drive the price up in case it goes higher than i want to pay. :twisted:

Keyz
Approved Member

Post by Keyz »

I fully support the buyers ability to go up in small increments, I mean, everyone is allowed to try to save themselves money right? If that is how they go about finding the reserve and it works for them, buyer happy, seller happy (as reserve met) so I don't see a problem.

One thing I do dislike and I'm not sure how widespread it is, is getting a friend or another logon in order to ramp up the price on the sellers side artificially. I'm sure I have been the victim of this in the past, which is hard when dealing with really rare items :cry: Might have to find out about these programs everyone keeps going on about, though not sure how ethical they are either..

Another is overcharging for shipping, it's easy enough for the seller to find out how much it would really cost to send it online, so why lie!

My opinion, and interested in yours...

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

having a friend bid is called "shilling" or "shill bidding", it is "technically" illegal in california where auction rules apply for ebay.

It is almost "impossible" to catch people doing this, simply for the fact as long as they are on 2 seperate IP addresses, how does ebay prove they are your friend or arent even the same person? Ive seen a few people do that in the past with certain items of things i bid on in the past... but the guy got such a bad rep nobody bought from him

wts873
Approved Member

Post by wts873 »

It all comes down to how much your willing to pay. If you as much as you would pay, sniping wont really make a difference. I have found its better to get the price up as high as you can in the begining, because alot of would be bidders will pass on a listing that has a bunch of bids or a almost high price.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

mikedealer wrote:
RC Chick wrote:either that or he was trying to make the auction go higher without actually winning the item. Who knows.
i do that sometimes too, but i always intend to win if i bid.. ill bid in small increments, first, to try and get the winning bid, and second to drive the price up in case it goes higher than i want to pay. :twisted:
No offense, but that doesnt sound very nice. Why would you want "to drive the price up in case it goes higher than you want to pay"?

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

mikedealer wrote:...to drive the price up in case it goes higher than i want to pay. :twisted:
That's not cool. :shock: