I found my vintage Kyosho Triumph covered in dust.... What to do now?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Herbertnl

I found my vintage Kyosho Triumph covered in dust.... What to do now?

Post by Herbertnl »

Hi all,

New to this forum and looking for some advice. In my storage room I found my old RC parts from long long ago (did not touch them for 28 except moving to other storage). While visiting a friend last week, his son came to me with a Tamiya 4x4 CC-01 chassis and VW Touareg body. It did not run well and maybe I could have a look. I told him simple screw was missing from suspension and I recognised them from my old Tamiya M01 chassis. I knew I had some in my storage. Maybe it was a good idea to get the cars out as well and get them up and running again (because of Covid19 we all have some extra time to spare right?)
So, I unpacked some crates and found my old cars. Time to investigate whats missing, what's broken and what needs replacement. On my search for parts I immediately noticed that my Kyosho where I was looking parts for, was not that common at all. So initially i wanted to fix it a bit and start driving it around, but maybe it's better to put it on sale, and use the earnings to buy something modern instead. Now before I'm going to clean it and put it out on sale, I thought it might be a good idea to post my plans here. Since I know from some restorers that they prefer to have old products in the old shape so nothing can be damaged during clean up.

Whats your opinion. No cleanup, list it? Cleanup and list it, or is it worthless and should I make it run and have some fun with it.

It's equiped with all the stuff that was hot in the 90's. Graupner 40 mhz transmitter, Novak 610 Electronic speed control and a brushed Trinity Championship modified series motor.

Pictures below:

Gallery over here:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/x8G70Rt

Looking forward to your thoughts and ideas ;-)

All the best,

Herbert

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: I found my vintage Kyosho Triumph covered in dust.... What to do now?

Post by XLR8 »

Hi Herbert and welcome aboard, :D
Yes it has value although we're not allowed to discuss value here. This is not Antiques Roadshow.
I probably would sell it like it is and let the new owner clean it if he wishes.
As a new member, you won't be able to sell it here until you've attained b/s/t privileges. I'd post it on ebay if it were mine.
Good luck. By the way, what sort of modern RC vehicle do you have your eye on? Just curious. :wink:
Doug

Herbertnl

Post by Herbertnl »

Hi Doug, thanks for the reply. I understand this Forum is not about value, for that to find out, ebay would be the best option. For me personally it was purely the question of cleaning the car myself, or let someone (the buyer) do it with more restoring experience. So I was looking around and I would probably go for a simple 4x4 off road. Bit fast one with power. I did notice that currently all models are RTR ! I remember myself having most fun in putting it together. So i probably would end up buying a Traxxas or maybe try the cheap Himoto with extra spares to rebuild en upgrade and see how it lasts... But then on some websites I noticed the old zx280 and Lola's. Those were the cars that I dreamt about as 12 year old, but never was able to buy...
Anyway, I keep it on the desk for a while and will see.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

New vintage rereleases are the only option...anything else is personally unacceptable, unless your racing. Problem is with this Virus, everyone sucked up all the cars. I think Kyosho still has a few available someplaces, not many Tamiyas left right now, Schumacher has 2 good vintage kits. Everything i recommended were all kits, no rtr stuff, those are babys toys! Restoring your Triumph would be fun as hell too!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

mcdze
Approved Member

Post by mcdze »

i have two of those in a box that were given to me awhile back in similar condition .. i was considering redoing one to make a nice 'vintage runner', not restoring, and not beating on it, just to run occasionally for nastalgias sake ... yes, its worth something for the few decent parts it has to someone trying to make a nice rebuild/resto .. no, its not worth trying to make something to play with on a regular basis, parts are very scarce, you couldnt keep it going without it getting real expensive or hacking it up with mismatched bs parts .. trying to 'clean up what you got' wont make it worth more, tis obvious whats good and whats not .. the esc and motor are worth something by themselves, the radio is 'pre' 90's imo lol, doubt thats worth anything and it detracts from the over-all package .. i'd bin that or maybe try to sell it separately for somebody that may be into really old or odd radios lol ...

Herbertnl

Post by Herbertnl »

mcdze wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:52 am i have two of those in a box that were given to me awhile back in similar condition .. i was considering redoing one to make a nice 'vintage runner', not restoring, and not beating on it, just to run occasionally for nastalgias sake ... yes, its worth something for the few decent parts it has to someone trying to make a nice rebuild/resto .. no, its not worth trying to make something to play with on a regular basis, parts are very scarce, you couldnt keep it going without it getting real expensive or hacking it up with mismatched bs parts .. trying to 'clean up what you got' wont make it worth more, tis obvious whats good and whats not .. the esc and motor are worth something by themselves, the radio is 'pre' 90's imo lol, doubt thats worth anything and it detracts from the over-all package .. i'd bin that or maybe try to sell it separately for somebody that may be into really old or odd radios lol ...
Yes, it would be a shame to ruin it by racing it to bits and pieces, specially since there are enthousiastics around who want to cherish these. I listed it to Ebay (Germany) with offer to trade in for a 4WD modern Truggy with Lipo / 2.4 GHz etc. Let's wait and see what happens.

Thanks all for helping and suggesting ! It's appreciated. Time to get myself out on the streets and the rough again with a RC model ;-)