New Bodies Released

Moderator: mytimac

WriteDean
Approved Member

Re: New Bodies Released

Post by WriteDean »

I contacted them through eBay, where I bought it, and even sent pictures. No reply since I sent the pics. It seems like the body if about 1/8 - 1/14 inches short - When the front is lined up with the provided holes the rear is off, then the rear is lined up the front is of, but I can force it on.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

The usual problem with repro bodies.

To make a body fit a chassis the pattern has to be made slightly bigger to compensate for the body shrinking as the plastic cools after it has been formed. So the original body is already undersize compared to the pattern. To reproduce a body almost always a pattern is made by filling an original body. This then gives you a mould that is accurate in shape but slightly undersize compared to the original mould. Depending on what material is used to back pour a body, this can shrink again as it hardens. You can tell some of Team Bluegrooves earlier bodies as they are a lot smaller than more recent ones.
So you now have a slightly smaller mould, and you vacform a body from this, which again shrinks slightly as the plastic cools. As you can guess all these small shrinkages add up when you compare the final repro with and original.

The only way to fix this is to create a pattern from scratch that is slightly bigger than the original body. This is very difficult and very expensive to either carve by hand or model in 3d and machine it so it looks exactly like the original, especially as you have to scale everything up to compensate for the amount of shrinkage that happens when you mould from it.

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

WriteDean wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:26 pm Bought one of your JRX2 bodies off of eBay - Just got it back from the painter - cut it out/reamed out the holes as marked and it does not fit properly. VERY disappointed. I'd be happy to post pics if you have any suggestions.
Haven't been on here in ages. But I am going to guess we did answer this email at some point through ebay. (I can be really slow on answering emails I will admit, I am not good at that)
If this is the one I remember it caught me off guard because we have been making these for so many years and never hear people say they have issues with it.
So I cut a new one to test on our JRX2 chassis and it fit snug but without any real issue and sent pictures back. Fit like you would expect of a reproduction body. One thing to always keep in mind on old stuff is the chassis and parts are old and the bulkheads front and back may not be in the shape they had been back when they came out of the factory and can be bent out of the intended shape after years of storage. I have seen this first hand on a used Losi I bought with the rear bulkhead and the front arms being warped from something heavy probably being on them in storage.

Normally the emails we get on this body are because they have a JRXPRO chassis and not JRX2. I always welcome feedback if people run into issues with the reproduction bodies. I took the JRX2 JRXPRO gear cover off ebay many years ago and only sell with warning on our store after finding that it didn't really fit as well as I would like. We got a bunch of reproduction molds from MRLEXAN and I don't always have a chassis to test bodies on. In this case I did because I have too much Losi stuff. (always in the background of videos now)

Dan
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

mytimac wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:40 pm
WriteDean wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:26 pm Bought one of your JRX2 bodies off of eBay - Just got it back from the painter - cut it out/reamed out the holes as marked and it does not fit properly. VERY disappointed. I'd be happy to post pics if you have any suggestions.
Haven't been on here in ages. But I am going to guess we did answer this email at some point through ebay. (I can be really slow on answering emails I will admit, I am not good at that)
If this is the one I remember it caught me off guard because we have been making these for so many years and never hear people say they have issues with it.
So I cut a new one to test on our JRX2 chassis and it fit snug but without any real issue and sent pictures back. Fit like you would expect of a reproduction body. One thing to always keep in mind on old stuff is the chassis and parts are old and the bulkheads front and back may not be in the shape they had been back when they came out of the factory and can be bent out of the intended shape after years of storage. I have seen this first hand on a used Losi I bought with the rear bulkhead and the front arms being warped from something heavy probably being on them in storage.

Normally the emails we get on this body are because they have a JRXPRO chassis and not JRX2. I always welcome feedback if people run into issues with the reproduction bodies. I took the JRX2 JRXPRO gear cover off ebay many years ago and only sell with warning on our store after finding that it didn't really fit as well as I would like. We got a bunch of reproduction molds from MRLEXAN and I don't always have a chassis to test bodies on. In this case I did because I have too much Losi stuff. (always in the background of videos now)

Dan
The JRX Pro is a tricky chassis to begin with since it really depends if the person is running the shock tower spacer or not. IIRC I don't think the Proformanace(sic) Kit had the spacer and also had the shock mounted forward on the tower where the actual Pro did have a spacer and the shocks mounted on the rear of the tower.

On a side note. if one were to make some scaled down models for bodies mainly for the Mini JRX2/JRXT variants like the JRX Pro Pro SE and LXT would there be any interest in doing some in lexan? I'm toying with the idea of modeling those up.
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.