Beetle Mania (Sand Scorcher/DT-02 and Blitzer Beetle)

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Beetle Mania (Sand Scorcher/DT-02 and Blitzer Beetle)

Post by XLR8 »

... or, A Tale of Two Beetles.

My very first surface RC was the Tamiya Sand Scorcher, ordered from Tower Hobbies catalog around 1979 or 1980. It was built box stock and finished box art except that I replaced French Blue with Orange. Fitted to the headlights were micro incandescent bulbs borrowed from the model railroad hobby. It was winter in Illinois, sunset was around 5 PM and I really wanted to drive the car around the yard in the evening after work. Working headlights made it a little easier to avoid the trees. :oops: I kept the car until the mid 1980's then I reckon I sold it to buy something else. Sadly, I don't even have photos of that car. :(

Anyway, a few months back I picked up a Blitzer Beetle and while building that car, I got the idea to recreate the Scorcher from my early years. Of course, the 2010 Sand Scorcher re-release kits are available again but this time I want to build the car around a lighter and more modern chassis with A-arm suspension and a gear diff, etc. I want something that looks like a Scorcher but with better performance. After considering a few different chassis options, I landed on the DT-02 – or more specific, the Holiday Buggy version. Had I been aware of the differences, I’d chosen the Sand Viper version instead. For only 50 bucks more, the Viper comes with oil dampers, adjustable camber links, metal out-drives, axles and dogbones, a 540 motor, and full bearings. It also includes a lexan body and wing that likely will fit many different off-road buggies in the collection. However, completely ignorant of the differences, I went cheap and got the Holiday Buggy – well okay, so be it. :|

Some materials of construction:
P1010837 (2).JPG

So, the plan is to paint the Blitzer body similar to my old Scorcher (using TS-98 Pure Orange) and recreate the alternate livery shown in the back of the original SS manual using MCI’s reproduction decal sheets. The Blitzer chassis will be as standard – no mods.
P1010844.JPG

For the Scorcher, the DT-02 chassis will receive new custom arms that will make the track width and wheelbase match the original Scorcher. The goal is to minimize chassis mods and alter the track and wb with arms alone. Of course, the body will be finished as close to box-art as possible using French Blue and MCI’s reproduction decals. I have a special modern 2.2 wheel and tire package in mind for this car that will pay homage to the vintage car (well, I think it’s special anyway :mrgreen: ).
P1010843.JPG

The new DT-02 arms and rear guard assembly have been printed and the initial chassis mockup is nearly finished at this point. I’m just test fitting the printed parts, adjusting the "dampers" to get the ride height correct and sorting the body mounts. I’ll post more detailed info on that in a later update.
P1010841.JPG

We’re approaching spring and with more moderate temps and low humidity, it’s time to get those bodies prepped and painted. Both will receive some body work, two colors plus clear and polish so this will take some time. I'd better get going. :D
Doug

Toyotachris1982
Approved Member

Re: Beetle Mania (Sand Scorcher/DT-02 and Blitzer Beetle)

Post by Toyotachris1982 »

Does the TS-98 paint match the orange of the MCI decals?

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Toyotachris1982 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:11 am Does the TS-98 paint match the orange of the MCI decals?
I don't believe the MCI decals I'll be using contains any orange Chris.
Here's the livery I'm going for on the Blitzer body except I'll be replacing yellow with orange and red with white. That's how I painted my original Scorcher.
post-6936-1290545883.jpg
I won't be using the decal sheets supplied with Blitzer.
Doug

Toyotachris1982
Approved Member

Oh ok! I see

Toyotachris1982
Approved Member

The OE orange is a bit darker I noticed . I currently have a set for a blitzer and need to see what paint matches the MCI decals as they are more fluorescent orange

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Matching paint to decals can be a challenge but remember that a specific paint's actual color can vary depending on primer color and number of coats.
So, unless someone here has found a good match to MCI's orange and can tell us, you might need to perform some tests to find the right combination.
Also, have you reached out to Nathaneal Ellis at MCI? He might be able to help you.
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

So, are we to assume that the Blitzer Beetle is destined to become a Stadium Blitzer?

Because, that would be awesome.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:07 pm So, are we to assume that the Blitzer Beetle is destined to become a Stadium Blitzer?

Because, that would be awesome.
Ha. Nope sorry, no trucks here, this is “Beetle Mania”. :mrgreen:

But now that you mention it, I could easily do something like this since I have a Toyota body.
P1010864 (2).JPG

However, since the kit I have is going to wear an orange/white Beetle body, I would need to order another Blitzer kit to make a truck.
And, I probably should do that sooner rather than later while they are still available and before Tamiya discontinues them.

Then, I’ll have another Beetle body to use for a future project. :D

Wow, it just never ends, does it.
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

XLR8 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:12 pm However, since the kit I have is going to wear an orange/white Beetle body, I would need to order another Blitzer kit to make a truck.
And, I probably should do that sooner rather than later while they are still available and before Tamiya discontinues them.
I was considering ordering one so that I'd actually have a Beetle.

Although I'm a RC10 guy, I do like Blitzers. To me, they represent the fun side of things.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Toyotachris1982
Approved Member

The blitzer beetle was the very first model I had ever built as a kid. I had so much fun with it

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Toyotachris1982 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:18 am The blitzer beetle was the very first model I had ever built as a kid. I had so much fun with it
Not long after I sold my original Sand Scorcher, I happened upon a Monster Beetle - think I got it in a trade. Anyway, the MB was my first Tamiya ORV (off road vehicle) and I tried to race it and -- well, lets just say that me and that car had some disagreements so I quickly moved it along.
From what I can tell, the Blitzer Beetle/Stadium Blitzer chassis is miles ahead of the old ORV performance wise.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:21 pm
XLR8 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:12 pm However, since the kit I have is going to wear an orange/white Beetle body, I would need to order another Blitzer kit to make a truck.
I was considering ordering one so that I'd actually have a Beetle.

Although I'm a RC10 guy, I do like Blitzers. To me, they represent the fun side of things.
Yeah, I here ya. To me, the original Associated Electrics RC10 is the center of the RC universe and everything else is just light entertainment.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I've made some progress over the past week but I've been lazy about updating the build thread.

The unused mounting holes were plugged using some of the plastic sprue removed from the sun roof area...
P1010849.JPG
... and I've applied some of Tamiya's filler and sanded them flat.
P1010844.JPG
Next, the parting line flash has been removed. I find that rather than reaching for the sand paper first, it's more efficient to use an Xacto knife and draw the blade along the length of the ridge to remove most of the protruding material. Then, use sand paper to work the area flat (320, 400, 600, 800 grit). All four fenders have parting line flash and the fronts are especially suborn to remove.
P1010845.JPG
I've glued the sunroof panel in place for this body. I didn't fill the gap because I prefer the look of a separate panel.
P1010841.JPG
Next, the entire body has been wet sanded using 1500 grit, then rubbed down with a brown Scotch Brite pad to reach areas inaccessible by sand paper. Scoring the surface should give some tooth for the primer to grip. Since the body will be masked for two colors, I think it’s very important to key the surfaces so the paint won’t lift when the tape is removed.
The repaired spots will receive 3 initial prime coats to fill the sanding scratches, then the entire body will receive 5 additional coats. This should build enough thickness so the primer can be lightly wet sanded with 1500 to level the surface and provide tooth for subsequent coats of paint.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

A quick update: the Blitzer is nearly finished. Just need to fit the bumper, Rx and ESC and it's ready to go.
P1010904.JPG
P1010908.JPG
P1010912.JPG
P1010914.JPG
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Moving on to the Scorcher body, paint work is complete.
Need to do the chrome trim, install decals, wipers, mirrors, driver, tail and headlights, etc. and body is finished.
P1010920.JPG
I'm really happy with this one. It sanded and polished much easier than the Blitzer body. I reckon it's because this one sat longer after painting so the clear had more fully hardened.
Anyway, whatever the reason, it polished in less than half the time. :D
Doug