** 2022 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 23-25 **

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

** 2022 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 23-25 **

Post by scr8p »

R/C Excitement, Inc.
208 Bemis Road
Fitchburg, MA 01420
(978) 342-3374

CLASSES
**All classes are limited to cars produced 1995 and earlier. Contact us for other approvals**

Old School RC Daniel Rowland’s Memorial 2wd Buggy
All buggies are limited to cars produced 1995 or earlier.
27 turn ROAR legal stock and 17.5 brushless motors only (under current rules).
Radio gear “electronics” are open.
Tires/wheels are open
Li-Po batteries are allowed.
(Examples: RC10, RC10B2, JRX2, XX, Ultima, Triumph, ProX, TRX)

Racetech Motorsports 4wd Buggy
All buggies are limited to cars produced 1997-2004.
10.5 brushless motors only.
(Examples: XX4, XXX4, TC3″O”v2, MX4, MR4BC, BJ4, Cat 2000 SE, Lazer ZXS)

Sabula Tech 4wd Classic Buggy
All buggies are limited to cars produced 1996 or earlier.
13.5 brushless motors only.
(Examples: All Optima models, Lazer ZX/ZXR, YZ10, Avante, Cat XL/XLS, Pro Cat, Cat 2000 98)

RC10Talk Stadium Truck
All trucks are limited to cars produced 1995 or earlier.
Tires/wheels are open (including narrow front tires)
(Examples: RC10T, RC10T2, JRXT, XXT, Outlaw Ultima, Pro XRT, Eagle, SRT)

VintageRCCars.com Heavy Metal
All 1/10 Monster Trucks, 2wd or 4wd, 2ws or 4ws are limited to cars produced 1995 or earlier.
Classes are broken up into two subcategories that race together. HM1 is for larger tire trucks (Examples: Clod Buster, USA-1, etc) and HM2 is for racing monsters (Examples: Blackfoot, King Cab, etc.)

Hitec Classic
All buggies are limited to cars produced 1995 or earlier.
Limited to “non-pro” and entry level style cars. Must have plastic tub chassis.*
All 1/10 Buggies, 2wd or 4wd, 2ws or 4ws allowed
Handout Tamiya RS540 motors only
(Examples: Tamiya Hornet, Mauri Ninja, Royal Ripper)
*RULE EDIT – RC10 and JRX2 “True Vintage” cars are allowed in Classic but must meet the following criteria:
• NO TIRE TREATMENT ALLOWED.
• TRUE VINTAGE HARD COMPOUND TIRES ONLY.
• Must run no tire inserts and be covered with original RC10 Protech or JRX2 kit bodies.
• NO AFTERMARKET TRANSMISSIONS or other parts except turnbuckles allowed.
• RC10 must run in 1984/Classic version: short arm suspension, original jellybean sized wheels and hard compound vintage tires (Proline reissue tires are allowed).
• JRX2 must run in original version: 5 link suspension and hard compound vintage tires.

Tamiya Wheelie
Limited to Tamiya 1/12 2WD “Wheelie” vehicles
Rereleases and New Models allowed
No modifications allowed, vehicles must remain box stock except speed control, battery, servo and receiver. Truck must remain box stock.
Silver can Mabuchi/Johnson 540 motors.
Tires/wheels must remain stock, NO INSERTS or saucing.
(Examples: CW01 and WR02 2wd: Lunchbox, Midnight Pumpkin, Wild Willy, Mitsubishi Pajero, Honda City Turbo, Suzuki Jimny)

1911Colt
Approved Member

Re: ** 2022 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 23-25 **

Post by 1911Colt »

Excellent, thank you for the information!

JRx2 against Hornet? Gonna have to put my money on the Losi. :lol:

juicedcoupe

Re: ** 2022 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 23-25 **

Post by juicedcoupe »

1911Colt wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:32 am JRx2 against Hornet? Gonna have to put my money on the Losi. :lol:
Imagine a JRx2 on hard tires against a Falcon on modern tires. I might have to go with the Falcon.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

Yes, tires are obviously meant to be the equalizer.

I am surprised that the Losi and AE cars are allowed in a class for plastic chassis slightly-above-toy-grade cars. I am not against it; I just find it counterintuitive.

I remember BITD when monster truck classes were started so folks could race the Blackfoot, Beetle, etc. without having to compete with racing buggies. Before long, the class was taken over by race buggies with truck bodies and we were back where we started. :lol:

I have never been to Vonats. I am thinking it may be worth the drive even if I just spectate. :D

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Losi and AE cars must use kit style tires in Classic, and be pretty much built out of the box. Tamiya cars can run any hop-ups and modern tires. I race a deck out 4wd Manta Ray. I'll never race an rc10 in that class again (did it twice). :lol: :lol:

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

scr8p wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:00 pm Losi and AE cars must use kit style tires in Classic, and be pretty much built out of the box. Tamiya cars can run any hop-ups and modern tires. I race a deck out 4wd Manta Ray. I'll never race an rc10 in that class again (did it twice). :lol: :lol:
Is that the kit you won in 2018? :D
The official TX SKUNK

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

jcwrks wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:42 pm
scr8p wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:00 pm Losi and AE cars must use kit style tires in Classic, and be pretty much built out of the box. Tamiya cars can run any hop-ups and modern tires. I race a deck out 4wd Manta Ray. I'll never race an rc10 in that class again (did it twice). :lol: :lol:
Is that the kit you won in 2018? :D
That's the one.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Yeah the Tamiya 4wd platform works great in that class. The other ringer is a plastic chassis kyosho. Though guys that are good can still run the gold pan with baldeenos and still run well. I am not that guy.

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

RC10 and JRX-2 on original tires are not competitve in this class at all, in my opinion...
- I would love to run either one of those models in Classics, but on the old hard tires it is not even fun (like driving in a wet ditch with a layer of algae at the bottom).
- I vote to at least allow Jconcepts 1.7/1.9 tires/wheels on an RC10.
- Erich?... :P

With current rules I will also bring a TA-02/DF-01 (Manta Ray, Dirt Thrasher)

Thanks for the VONats info Jason!
-dldiaz

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

Edit:
I guess I double-clicked on "Submit" ?

Well since I have this second post:
- Any news on if R/C Excitement will lay us out a more "vintage-friendly" track this year?!?
-dldiaz

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

What about a Junior 2? It's a plastic chassis and was marketed as entry level? So I can run whatever tires and mods on it then just not a JRx2 with graphite chassis? OK I guess?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

RCveteran wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:07 pm What about a Junior 2? It's a plastic chassis and was marketed as entry level? So I can run whatever tires and mods on it then just not a JRx2 with graphite chassis? OK I guess?
It was actually marketed as a "competition kit", with a "composite fiber resin chassis". Those are direct from the add.

From what I recall, its basically a JRX Pro with composite parts instead of graphite.

And I believe that the composite chassis was actually better than the graphite, which is why the Pro SE and newer used the same technology.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

RCveteran wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:07 pm What about a Junior 2? It's a plastic chassis and was marketed as entry level? So I can run whatever tires and mods on it then just not a JRx2 with graphite chassis? OK I guess?
Erich said it'd have to run in 2wd. It's still a race buggy.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Got it. I was just confused as the plastic chassis being a factor.

Let's play Ultima II (plastic) vs Ultima Pro (Graphite or Aluminum)? :lol: Just kidding.

I think silver can keeps everyone closer together fairly well more than any other factor (chassis material) outside of driver skill and tires. This is a great event and glad it happens at all.

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

Yes the 2wd class is much faster - any evolution of the original short-arm RC10 or the 5-link JRX-2, would be in the 2wd class (with open tire choice, 17.5 brushless, etc.).

The plastic chassis caveat is only for "Classics" class, which has evolved mostly into 4wd entry-level (plastic chassis) models.
- But yes the silver-can does level the playing field in "Classics", and decreases broken parts I think as well?!?
- Tires are huge though, as it is a very smooth indoor surface.
- Perhaps on a loamy outdoor track those old knobby tires wouldn't be such a deficit?
- I never made it to VONats when it was outdoors.

Edit:
Sport-Tuned motor for Classics (black or newer silver can)

True "silver-can" motors are for the Wheelie class!! Yeehaw!
-dldiaz