Lipo battery info request

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Lipo battery info request

Post by klavy69 »

OK, decided to actually finish one of my projects( :lol: ) but need to pick up some stuff and think I want to go lipo battery powered with it. Its a traxxas velineon bl setup on this ride(I know, I know...was a good deal at the time) and don't know a stinkin thing about Lipo batterys. LHS says do what he did if I want a good battery and go with a Checkpoint 5400(?). Anyone know anything about these? Seems to be great in his b3 and some of the others have good luck with them but for the price I was wondering if it was a good deal.

ACTUALLY, wanting to know what you guys are running and what your suggestions are. The velineon system is a temporary setup til I can get a better system but the battery needs to be able to be used on say alot heavier duty/kick ass bl setup when I get it. Thanx and any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

call-911
Approved Member

Re: Lipo battery info request

Post by call-911 »

If you ever decide to unload that VXL setup let me know. My Slash can use it. :)

I just purchased an Orion Platinum 4800 pack but I don't know anything about LiPo really. I just went with what my brother was/is using.
Keith C

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

orion or peak 3200, 3600 cells. Never had any problems. Hooked them up to a balancer once a week, and it didn't take any longer than 2 seconds for it to balance out. The indoor track we ran at had a lot of short leadins to some large jumps, so we stuck with the 3200 pack in the B4. Lighter weight really made a big difference.

It mostly comes down to how much runtime you want. it wasn't uncommon for the b4 with a Novak BL w/10.5 motor to run 12 minutes on the 3200 pack.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I've heard of a few hiccups with the Checkpoint. Something about the cells being a much lower grade than what is advertised. I know some of the first packs were opened up by racers to see what they were, and they found them to be VERY low-end Kokams. I think this was an error, but that's poor QC for a brand new product.

Can't go wrong with the Orions, IMO.

I'm also considering trying one of the new Tekin hard-cases. I've always been a fan of their products, even if the release-to-store time issue seems to plague them constantly with every product they announce.

IMO, I'd stick with the big ones' hard case products... Orion, Reedy, CORE and possibly Tekin. I don't think you can go wrong with any of their LiPo products.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I'm running Trinity Li-Pro 4500s. Trinity had some issues with faulty internal cutoffs when they first started with these, but they seem to have fixed the problem. I have 2 that I run in vintage and mod stadium truck at the local class. Decent packs.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I'll make a comment on Trinity, based on personal animosity alone. I couldn't tell you what the packs are like, as I will never use them.

Here's my issue with Trinity... for years uncle Ernie spent lots of money in magazines telling everyone how brushless motors were the bain of R/C and would ruin the hobby. EPIC and his motor-selling machine aside, he did stuff like this out of short-sighted selfishness. It didn't take long for Trinity to start selling brushless motor technology.

In the last couple of years, he's also taken out ads in every R/C magazine printed telling everyone how LiPos would burn your house down, rape your women and steal your children. Today, Ernie can't get the LiPo packs to the market fast enough to make his pocket happy.

I've had an issue with his "business practices" for 25 years, and they won't change anytime soon. IMO, he's a garden slug—though that's an insult to garden slugs. I wouldn't use Trinity batteries if you gave them to me, but that's just me. And yes, I know that he imports or manufacturers like 90% of the NiMh and brushed motors in this country. All things being the same, I'd rather not use EPIC products if I didn't have to.

That's just my personal editorial. :wink:

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Eau- This extends to your odd trend post as well: Most of us are blissfully ignorant. We buy a neat looking "Old time buggie" off eBay or craigslist for $20 simply because it's shiny and a cool toy. I also didn't realize your uncle was involved in the industry and pissed you off. ;) I just bought some batteries that work pretty darn well and was just saying....

//will go back to eating lead paint chips and making mud pies
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Well, I look at what Ernie Provetti and Trinity do to this industry like what Walmart did to small mom & pop stores across the country. If that's the kind of company you choose to support, then rock on.

Not mine, though. I don't close my eyes before I pick out R/C products, but that's just me. I was just offering my viewpoint on one company's products. Some of us take this hobby more serious than others, that's all.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Eau Rouge wrote:If that's the kind of company you choose to support, then rock on.
I actually support my local hobby shop-- not quite sure how buying 2 batteries makes me (or anyone) a bona fide supporter of any one company. :?:
I was pointing out a battery (not business practice) that worked for me. I have had lousy luck with other batteries (one that you mentioned) but I wasn't going to go that route. You actually shot down the Checkpoints and at a local track near here they praise them up and down. I was going for positive help that another member was requesting.
Eau Rouge wrote:Some of us take this hobby more serious than others, that's all.
I enjoy my hobby- but it is exactly that by definition, a part-time distraction from my daily grind. I don't have time to research all my purchases and will never take that time personally. I race at the local track, buy parts from the local shops and support them in that way. Sorry I failed your r/c litmus test.
Jeff

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I merely offered MY opinion on a company that I don't respect or trust. If you don't like it... :roll:

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Eau-
I never said I didn't like your opinion and I never disagreed with any of your facts, but your post most DEFINITELY showed that you care about my opinion-- and that you believed it to be incorrect and/or inappropriate. I should not have taken offense to that, but I'm having a bad day at work and taking it out on a forum is easy. :oops:

I was simply saying that not all of us subscribe to "R/C Industry Insider Weekly" and that's why we do some of the things you don't understand. 'nuf said. Is there a 'peace' emoticon??
Jeff

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

How's this one? Opinions are like a-holes... Let it go guys! :D

Keith C

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

X2 Keith.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i've had good experiences with maxamps batteries.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Wow, alot of good info and suggestions...and wasn't trying to start any flaming...sorry about that. I went to tower(for reference only) last night and checked prices. Seen some of the Reedy wolfpacks that seemed to be something I was liking the price of. Seen a couple more that I liked from name brand aspects but don't really know too much about them but the prices were looking good.
What kinda got some info about what milliamps to look for but what about 'cells' and volts. Should I stick with 2c or 3c(?) and should I stay around the 7.2volts or should I go to 8.4v? I know the velineon system can take up to like an 11.1v but should I stay away from that kind of thing since I believe the LHS stated the Novak system I was lookin at wasn't able to take that kind of thing...had to stick with 7.2 or something like that?
Truly a learning experience and you guys have been more than helpful and for this I thank you once again.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!