some interesting observations on an early jrx-2

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aconsola
Approved Member

some interesting observations on an early jrx-2

Post by aconsola »

interesting to me at least :D
I picked up this car off the bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330252158077
My main motivation was the box as I didn't have one and I am trying to get one of each. the pricelist included with it is september 1988(scans pending)
It has a lot of the early parts on it, 2-hole links, no-logo motor plate, big lettered/non-reinforced steering arms, and more.
The most interesting part is the chassis and shock towers, and bearing spacers.
I have not been able to get ahold of the "no-hole" rear shock tower until this point. The 2 shock towers are made of a different appearing material from the regular towers, it is thicker and has a sparkly finish to it. Someone had mentioned in the past that these may be trinity, but I don't know if they are aftermarket or original. The car came with a lot of paperwork, includding header cards for the foam tires and gear charts, but nothing about shock towers.
jrx2early4.jpg
jrx2early4.jpg (118.56 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
jrx2early4.jpg
jrx2early4.jpg (118.56 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
The chassis is different than the other 3 plates I currently have. It is signifigantly thicker(just like the shock tower) it also looks to have been sanded up front at the kickup. it is much too uniform and even to be wear from use especially since there are very few scratches elsewhere on the chassis.
jrx2early6.jpg
jrx2early6.jpg (74.25 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
jrx2early6.jpg
jrx2early6.jpg (74.25 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
This blurry pic shows a standard plate on top to show the difference in thickness. (My macro function is not doing so well tonight)
jrx2early8.jpg
jrx2early8.jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
jrx2early8.jpg
jrx2early8.jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
The sanded/machined are at the apex of the kick-up gives it a more gradual transition on the underside.
jrx2early14.jpg
jrx2early14.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
jrx2early14.jpg
jrx2early14.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
the last interesting bit is the aluminum outdrive spacers/bearing shields. I have never seen these before, anybody else have a pair of them?
jrx2early1.jpg
jrx2early1.jpg (57.79 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
jrx2early1.jpg
jrx2early1.jpg (57.79 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
as an aside, does anyone know what the 2 holes in the rear shock tower are for? Now that I can look closely at the boxart, it almost looks like the wing tubes are zip-tied to the tower,

bearrickster
Approved Member

Re: some interesting observations on an early jrx-2

Post by bearrickster »

Ive never seen the holes in the shock towers but I do have a set of the outdrive spacers. they came on my Early Jrx2
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I have a couple of them with the alloy spacers. I have never noticed the other differences. I have an unusual rear shock tower myself that I have no idea where it came from. I will have to post some pics.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

my early jrx2 has the same rear tower, except my body mount either broke, or had been cut off. :( it's definately a different material than the front tower. in looks and thickness, as you had mentioned.
IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2433.JPG (173.5 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2433.JPG (173.5 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
i think it was david (asso_man) who said he thought his "no hole" tower was a trinity. i think the two upper mounting holes were countersunk on his. but that could've been done by the previous owner to mount an esc on the tower.

mine also has the aluminum outdrive spacers, and i think my original junior-t (1991) had them also. but my later, new built version has the black plastic ones.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

yes i also have the alloy spacers and the sparkley rear tower.. my chassis is the most interesting part it has a very shinny textured bottom finish...ive added a few optioned parts super sliders, alloy screws,ball raced steering pro centre diff gear and factory painted body with orange rims...one my my fav buggies for sure,worth as much as any rc10 to me..can i say that? :mrgreen:
Attachments
153_5390.JPG
153_5390.JPG (210.92 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
153_5390.JPG
153_5390.JPG (210.92 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
153_5389.JPG
153_5389.JPG (170.46 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
153_5389.JPG
153_5389.JPG (170.46 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
153_5392.JPG
153_5392.JPG (213.58 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
153_5392.JPG
153_5392.JPG (213.58 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
153_5391.JPG
153_5391.JPG (194.39 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
153_5391.JPG
153_5391.JPG (194.39 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
153_5388.JPG
153_5388.JPG (148.03 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
153_5388.JPG
153_5388.JPG (148.03 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

I was aware of everything but those alloy spacers, they do look great, I'll have to find a pair for my early Jrx-2. I thought the towers were Trinity because a member here told me so in the very first days I was a member, but now I'm pretty sure those are the earlier shock towers (plural because on mine, the front shock tower is of the same material as the rear one, anybody else?). The chassis is also different than any other I've been in contact with: it has a mirror finish, a few pics for those who never went there (the shock towers were on my hopped-up Jrx-2 when I took the pictures as I was still unsure they were original, now they sit on this one):

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Those look so sweet I might have to cut my new body and put mine back together!
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Hello guys from an original owner of just about every early Losi. I believe the first rear tower shown, aconsola’s, is correct. This is how I have always spotted an early car from a later car. Note that the tower dips down a little next to the body mount clip. Same pattern of little spots. No countersinking, standard socket head bolts. Suspect mauri’s might be modded for mounting the speedo, I’ve seen guys do that. No idea on the extra holes.

My calipers are junk, but the front and rear towers are about 0.100”, the fronts may be slightly thicker, less than 0.005” I’d say, based on an early X2 and spares. The chassis are both about 0.125”. Hard for me to comment on finish, they all seem shiny and slightly different to me, and I change my opinion depending on the angle and light and such. Perhaps production variation. But none of the chassis seem to have the spot pattern. The sanding or whatever at the kick up sure is weird, why would anyone need to do that? That’s where they break by the way. Or so I’ve heard!

My early car has the metal outdrive spacers, my early truck and extra tranny appear to be plastic.

My first attachment shows my early car and later towers. Then some scans from the manual. Figures 4, 15, 16, 19, 26, and 43 show it correctly. But figure 6, page 4, and figure 37 seem to take care of the extra hole!

Cheers guys, love the site. Oh, I will be adding to the parts/price list thread for those interested.
Attachments
JR-X2 Rear Towers.jpg
JR-X2 Rear Towers.jpg (58.01 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
JR-X2 Rear Towers.jpg
JR-X2 Rear Towers.jpg (58.01 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
JR-X2 Figure 4.jpg
JR-X2 Figure 4.jpg (34 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
JR-X2 Figure 4.jpg
JR-X2 Figure 4.jpg (34 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
JR-X2 Figure 6.jpg
JR-X2 Figure 6.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
JR-X2 Figure 6.jpg
JR-X2 Figure 6.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

what version of the manual do you have? My guess would be that you have "production release" on the front cover. I have not seen those pictures like that before.
I just reviewed the manual I got with this car, it is "revision A" , my figure 4 matches, but figure 6 in this edition has the tower looking like fig4.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

The original one, from a Limited Introductory Series Car. No pictures on the box. Bought new by me in 1988 so little question about authenticity. Well, except for those pesky memory problems. Cheers!

P.S. Check your price list scan thread, I just spammed it.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Bongo Fury wrote:The original one, from a Limited Introductory Series Car. No pictures on the box. Bought new by me in 1988 so little question about authenticity. Well, except for those pesky memory problems. Cheers!

P.S. Check your price list scan thread, I just spammed it.
Nice on all accounts.
I've got to find copy of that manual for my stash. I only have a revisionA and a revisionC currently.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I have that manual and A Rev B I never looked at them side by side. thats cool I will look at them more closely now thanks It sucks I have a early Jrx2 I sold the towers u/out holes I thought they were aftermarket :( but my Pro started life as a J2 in 1988 when they first came out the had a Proformance kit added to it then lowared for street racing, full RPM arms for Dirt and now back to New stock Jrx Pro. its been around the block a little. i would never part with it!
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

bearrickster wrote:I have that manual and A Rev B I never looked at them side by side. thats cool I will look at them more closely now thanks It sucks I have a early Jrx2 I sold the towers u/out holes I thought they were aftermarket :( but my Pro started life as a J2 in 1988 when they first came out the had a Proformance kit added to it then lowared for street racing, full RPM arms for Dirt and now back to New stock Jrx Pro. its been around the block a little. i would never part with it!
Yep, that caused me some issues when building. It's all new to me, I'm pretty anal at times(?), following along intently, turn the page, and OHHH NOOOOOOO! Turned out OK though. Man, major stumble on the shock tower, my condolances. Mine sits in a Pro kit state too, without a tranny even. And with Du Bro captured rod ends for that lousy rookie driver I had back then. No names please! I've got some work ahead of me, even then I'll never match some of the shelf queens I've drooled over on here. Hafta settle for a shelf slut I guess.

You've heard the cliche "over my dead body"? It's true for me, that's when my Son takes possession. But I will let him play with it. In a very large flat field!

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

You know Its pretty funny how we get attached to these cars. but when it comes right down to it I have raced, broke, Fixed, this car so much that I really dont think that their is an original part left on it :lol: My daugher hit a curb and broke the graphite chassis in half. then I found a used one that when I pulled the chassis protecter off it looked new so I replaced it again. so thats three since it was new. so is it the same car? and this time around on the restoration, I replaced the RMP arms I raced with on it with NOS stock ones. and the bulk heads were really worn so NOS ones their also so is it the same car or just a new Build ? I dont know but I still dont think I would have the heart to sell it!
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides