Protech body

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mikeyboy
Approved Member

Protech body

Post by Mikeyboy »

Hey guys, I just got an Associated Protech body from Tower Hobbies and couldn't help but notice that it was not very clear. It almost has a foggy look to it. Is this how they come now? I have some older Protech bodies and they are much clearer. Any thoughts?
Mike

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Protech body

Post by scr8p »

it's a protective coating on the outside. just pull it off after you paint it.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mikeyboy
Approved Member

Post by Mikeyboy »

Wow! That looks a lot better! Thanks

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Mikeyboy wrote:Wow! That looks a lot better! Thanks
you didn't paint it on the outside over the protective film? :lol:

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

Don't laugh, I bought an immaculate Tamiya TC painted perfect, then decalled beautifully

onto the film :mrgreen:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

purpletimbo wrote:Don't laugh, I bought an immaculate Tamiya TC painted perfect, then decalled beautifully

onto the film :mrgreen:
quite some time ago, i had a kid ask me to paint the body for his tamiya tl-01 f-150 svt. when he brought it to my house, he had put all of the decals on the body......... over the protective film. luckily, i was able to peel off all of the decals without hurting them. i painted the body, pulled the film off, and reapplied the decals.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

scr8p wrote:luckily, i was able to peel off all of the decals without hurting them. i painted the body, pulled the film off, and reapplied the decals.
That's strange... I thought protocol was public ridicule. Isn't that how we promote our hobby? ;)
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

scr8p wrote:quite some time ago, i had a kid ask me to paint the body for his tamiya tl-01 f-150 svt. when he brought it to my house, he had put all of the decals on the body......... over the protective film. luckily, i was able to peel off all of the decals without hurting them. i painted the body, pulled the film off, and reapplied the decals.
you are a good man scr8p. i woulda told the kid he was out of luck with the decals.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

i bought a 1/8th buggy second hand of this bloke, he thought he was ripping me no doubt off because it was real dirty,and was keen to make money on me, little did he know it had a nice rb ws3 in it which had good compression indeed..he turned out to be a smart ass, thought he new it all, the engine had a pull starter which i detest, i was laughing on the inside listening to his spiel. i payed him the money then went to work on the body, pulled of the protective film right in front of him and said alright now that looks way better.ripped out my bump starter from the garage and refired her up..he didnt know what to say..the male ego cracks me up. all for 50 bucks :wink:

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

awhile back I was with another board and happened across a buggy body that was allready cut out but 'permanant markered' across the top of the buggy so they guy was just giving it away, just had to cover shipping of $5. I seen the picture and didn't really want to take too much advantage of him and paypalled him $10. He then began to ridicule me on the board since I gave him "WAY" too much money for a junk body :shock: . Once I got it I should've peeled the protective film away and put a picture up to show him his assanine ways but I guess at the time I just didn't feel like I needed to sink to his level :wink: .
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Mikeyboy
Approved Member

Post by Mikeyboy »

I used some fast color water based paint on the body and then backed it up with several layers of pactra lexan body paint. It still seems like the paint is very easily chipped from the underside of the body. Do I need to add more layers of the pactra paint?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i have no experience with faskolor paint. but being as though faskolor and pactra are two total different types of paint, you shouldn't be using them together.

what is flaking off? the faskolor from the body, or the pactra paint from the faskolor? if it's the faskolor from the body, did you clean the body throughly before you painted it? if it's not sticking to the body, no amount of pactra paint on top of it is keep it from chipping off.

or, it could be the faskolor is reacting to the pactra being sprayed on to it and making it release from the body.

a good rule of thumb. if you start painting with one type of paint system, don't finish with another. bad things can happen.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I've used the fascolor and backed it with the white Pactra cause it coats so well. Just make sure you let the fascolor dry a bit before spraying the other. Also, leave some time so that you can let your freshly painted body sit somewhere warm for a few days. Lets it cure better. I have recently been coating the underside of mine after it cures with clear fusion paint. Seems to help protect it better.

Crappy decals. You know the kind. The ones you tell yourself you wouldn't be caught dead with on one of your bodies.... They work well on the underside for scratch inhibitors. :wink:
Just look under my Losi 8ight buggy body, there's jammin s**t all over the underside. :mrgreen:

Mikeyboy
Approved Member

Post by Mikeyboy »

The guy at the hobby shop said that you can use any lacquer to cover the fastcolor. I washed the body real well, but I didn't let it sit for very long after applying the fastcolor. I only allowed the fastcolor time to fully dry. Thanks for the help. Live and learn.