RC10GT brushless conversion: Updated 2/6 need body ideas

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

RC10GT brushless conversion: Updated 2/6 need body ideas

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I just converted my old GT to brushless. I'm just looking for general input. I rushed the photos so the wiring still neds to be tidied up a bit. I ran out of small black zip-ties though. I'm sure people will comment on the battery placement so I'll explain: I was going to run it straight across, but it seemed a bit cramped and seemed to put more weight on the left side than this configuration. If I were going to race it I would probably move the esc lower on the chassis, but it will just be a basher so it should be fine. The motor wires look dangerously close to the spur, but when I get more ties today I will fix that. Criticism welcome. I can take it.... :P

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t59/THEYTOOKMYTHUMB/?action=view&current=BrushlessRC10GT001.jpg
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

scr8p
Administrator

Re: RC10GT brushless conversion

Post by scr8p »

that looks pretty cool.

maybe try a saddle lipo pack. you should be able to position them between the motor and servo without any issues.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Saddle pack is a great idea. I wish I'd a thought of that before I ordered a new 3s pack :cry: I have some old saddle packs too, so I have no excuse as to why that didn't occur to me. I guess it will be a good way to justify another purchase. You can never have too many batteries.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Weave
Approved Member

Post by Weave »

Looks good. I always wanted to convert the GT to a mid motor electric. It just makes sense since the tranny is already laid over. I may still do it someday, but I'm having too much fun with my Tekin conversion and can't wait to order up an X-60 to convert my T4.

FasterLouder
Approved Member

Post by FasterLouder »

Nice one!
Must handle a bit better than this...It lifts the front wheels when I feed the last bit of throttle in at 50mph+.
Attachments
MAMBA T2 %4 small.JPG
All The Way Alive

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

That looks good. I have a regular RC10 with a Sidewinder 5700 and it's pretty much outta control so I know how you feel. I remember in the late 80's early 90's running 10 cells and modified motors trying to get the speeds easily reached these days. I could maybe get a 2 minute run back then. :P
Ken

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

you could probably run a regular 48 pitch spur in 87 or 84 tooth if you wanted too since the gear ratio is the same as a T2. It would let you move the motor back a little to help with the battery placement. But I can also see wanting to run your nice Robinson steel spur gear too! Gearing it higher would help with the wheelie action but it looks pretty nice the way it is. What did you use to mount the motor?
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

markt311 wrote:you could probably run a regular 48 pitch spur in 87 or 84 tooth if you wanted too since the gear ratio is the same as a T2. It would let you move the motor back a little to help with the battery placement. But I can also see wanting to run your nice Robinson steel spur gear too! Gearing it higher would help with the wheelie action but it looks pretty nice the way it is. What did you use to mount the motor?
TC5 motor mount. I have tons of 48p stuff so I may try that down the road. I've cleaned up the wiring since then, but the battery still bugs me. When the bodies on you can't tell anyway, but I know what's lurking under there and it haunts my darkest nightmares.... :shock:
Ken

jesse8931
Approved Member

Post by jesse8931 »

i have a rc10gt and i have been wanting to do this. could you post a better picture of the motor mount?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I'll put some new pics in when I get a chance this week. It may be the weekend before I have time at home. You may shop motor mounts. I have seen some others used and they may be sturdier. No problems so far though.
Ken

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

that is cool.

have you thought about moving the esc to the back of the shocktower/bulkhead? there's nothing back there to get in the way, and you could mount it really low if you wanted.

i've bought different sized lipo packs from maxamps.com, they have pretty much any shape if you hunt around. i have a couple 4400 or something 2s packs that are really close to the size of the gt gastank. you could get one of those in 3s and it wouldnt be much bigger.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Hey thumber,
Here are some others who have done this. Maybe you can get some ideas/input from their threads.
http://www.baysidehobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3943

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee121/gjb3936/RC10GT%20Brushless%20Conv/?bulkComplete=1194638104843
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i breezed over the bayside links, i gotta say the tc5 motor mount thumbs used looks to be the easiest and most 'factory' looking setup to use.

if only he would tidy up the wiring and get a shorter lipo... :wink:

thumbs can you post some more detailed pics of the motor mount?

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

yeah...what badhoopty said :mrgreen: . Would like to see how you mounted the mount. I figure you drilled 2 new holes for the bottom of the mount but did you screw the mount to the tranny? I had started a rc10gb conversion awhile back and abandoned the idea when I ran out of ambition but still have the parts sitting there waiting for something to happen to them :mrgreen: . Was gonna do the CRracing setup but just never got around to it but this thread kinda peaked my interest again...
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Sorry I couldn't get any pics updated, but you know how the holidays are. I have changed the wiring configuration. I had to after one of the motor wires got sucked into the spur. :lol: This truck is now my favorite. It drives great and has huge power. The little bit of extra weight gives it a lot more control than any of my other cars. It's only a few ounces, but it really helps. I'll try to get a weight too because it really is almost the same as a regular truck. Of course, I say that, but a few ounces is a lot if you race. I agree about the battery. At some point I will replace it, but I didn't want to dump a lot of money until I saw how the mount handled the power. With the TC5 motor mount I just drilled 2 holes in the chassis to make use of the stock mounting holes on the motor mount. You just need to position it at the right distance from the spur for the pinion to reach properly. You have to work around the slot for the fly wheel. It's a cheap conversion since you can get the mount for about $12. So far it holds up great and I run it a little harder each time I take it out. The suspension is killer on those GTs. I may switch to the Castle 4600kv motor to bring it a little more under control. The 16t pinion is just right for the 5700kv though. I'll probably stick with it even with the 4600. If the traction is right it pulls wheelies with just a 2s. They are easily controllable wheelies though. I'll get my 3s for Christmas from my mom(I'm 34! :oops: ) I think it's been 25 straight years that my Christmas involved an r/c related gift from my mom. I'm not sure why I even want the 3s honestly. It's impractical for any 1/10 application, but that's what Christmas presents are for I guess. :lol:
Ken