Vintage Check?

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MONSTER
Approved Member

Vintage Check?

Post by MONSTER »

I recently got some odd things, and would like to know their Vintage. I tried the "Useful Links", but only got one Discontinued Date (for Rx). Would just like to know what years they were made.
The first things are:
FP-R102H Futaba Rx: Born ??, Disc 10/89
FP-S148 Futaba Servo: Born ??, Disc ??
I was hoping these (Fut Rx/Servo) would be Period Correct for my EARLY RC10 Buggy. Actually thinking of going with a MSC, since I have a BRAND NEW ONE (UNLESS someone wants it!?!?!).

The other things I would like to know about are a couple of Kyosho (so I was told) KS-91 Servos. Thinking maybe they would be Period Correct for a Friends Kyosho Rocky Resto. Whats their story?

Can anyone help with this?

markt311
Approved Member

Re: Vintage Check?

Post by markt311 »

not sure about the kyosho stuff or the rx but the s148 was around 90-94ish, just your standard servo, pretty decent servo for a buggy though
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

Anybody pinpoint the life of these pieces? Especially, the Servo.

Temple...?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

they 148 servos came out in '88, and you could still buy them into the 2000's. hell, you could probably walk into a bunch of hobby shops now and they'd STILL have some. those things are like belly buttons....... everybody got one. :mrgreen:

the biggest difference in them...... early compared to the later ones, was the futaba sticker on the case. they were a little different.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

So, what would be Proper to have in my Early 10, for the MSC AND Steering? Im trying my best to make it just like the First Ones Released.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

scr8p wrote:they 148 servos came out in '88, and you could still buy them into the 2000's.
really, really far into the 2000's
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXH318&P=ML
:mrgreen:

here is a shot of the old style sticker. I can't find a new style one to shoot side by side, but compare it to the one linked above to see the difference.
Attachments
olds148.jpg
olds148.jpg (48.65 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
olds148.jpg
olds148.jpg (48.65 KiB) Viewed 1281 times

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

hell, i thought they'd be gone from tower after the 3003's came out. :lol:

there's actually 2 different ones like you posted, anthony. the sticker looks the same, but the little logo and the futaba lettering itself isn't as bold. i'll have to get a side by side pic.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

scr8p wrote:there's actually 2 different ones like you posted, anthony.
picky picky picky :lol:
Attachments
olds1483.jpg

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

hey thanks. now i don't have to do it. :wink: :lol:

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

And if you're going Futaba on an early RC10:

G plug would be a FP-S28 for the steering and an FP-S32H for the throttle
J plug would be an early logo (Japanese not Taiwanese) S148 steering and S132H throttle.
(The smaller higher speed throttle servos fit better...)

Of course you'd need the correct receiver... AM: R2GS or R4F for G type, R102GF or GR for J type. None of the 72 or 75mhz are still legal...being wide band.

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

templeofspeed wrote:And if you're going Futaba on an early RC10:

J plug would be an early logo (Japanese not Taiwanese) S148 steering and S132H throttle.
(The smaller higher speed throttle servos fit better...)

Of course you'd need the correct receiver... AM: R2GS or R4F for G type, R102GF or GR for J type. None of the 72 or 75mhz are still legal...being wide band.

meaning what? you can't race with the 72 or 75?

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

From the FAQ on the Futaba website. http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/service-faq.html

The FCC requirements for the width of the signal output by RC radio equipment on 72 and 75 MHz was narrowed effective 3/1/91. MOST radios made before 1991 did not meet these new standards. MOST radios that did not meet the new standards could be 'narrowed' by authorized service centers from 3/1/91 to 3/1/98, thus making them legal to use. Canadian standards were changed effective 6/1/02 to comply with the same narrowband standards as the US.

How do I know if my transmitter is legal?

The easiest way to answer this is through a series of questions. If you answer YES to any of questions 1 through 6, you do not need to continue. Your radio is legal to use in the U.S. You may use a printout of this FAQ to show your club officials to avoid any confusion or concerns.

1. Is your TX on 27MHz? If so, it is legal, no matter what model or brand. ALL TXs on 27MHz are exempt from this rule. Note: Please check the actual frequency on YOUR transmitter. (For example: 72.590 is on the 72MHz band.) Many models of transmitter are produced on multiple bands, so just looking in your instructions to see what band it was produced on will probably not answer this question.

2. Is your TX either FM (PPM) or PCM or both? If so, it is legal, no matter what Futaba model it is. ALL Futaba FM and PCM transmitters met the standard.

3. If your TX is AM, does it have a label listing it as "Narrow Band", "1991" or similar? If so, it is legal because it either was legal at time of production or was upgraded to make it legal.

4. If your TX is AM, and it was manufactured on an odd numbered channel? Then it is definitely narrow band and legal. (Simply changing a crystal does not make the radio safe, narrow band, or legal.)

5. If your TX is AM, and it was manufactured on a channel below 38? Then it is definitely narrow band and legal.

6. If your radio is AM and is in the list below, it was narrow band and legal at time of production and is legal to use:
* 2NBL
* 2NCS
* 2NBR
* 2V
* 2VR
* 2CR
* 2DR
* 2PB
* 2PBKA
* 2PC
* 2PCKA
* 2PD-AM
* 4NBL

7. Is your TX on any of these frequencies: 72.080, 72.160, 72.320, 72.400, 72.960 or 75.640? If so, it is a very old 80 kHz unit and is not legal and cannot be made legal.

8. Gold sticker: If your radio is AM and is not on the list in step 4 AND does not already have a gold sticker on it (see photo), we cannot narrow band it for you. Unfortunately, under FCC regulation, we are no longer able to narrow band these old transmitters or otherwise provide any parts, information or service for these radios as of 3/1/98.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

templeofspeed wrote:And if you're going Futaba on an early RC10:

J plug would be an early logo (Japanese not Taiwanese) S148 steering and S132H throttle.(The smaller higher speed throttle servos fit better...)

If, as scr8p says, the 148 didnt come out until 88, how could it be "proper" for an "Early 10"?
And, how far "off" would the 102H Reciever be? It doesnt have "recepticles" in the Case, it has Wires with Female Plugs hangin off it.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

well, which rc10 do you have? just because it might have short front arms doesn't make it an "early" one.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

scr8p wrote:well, which rc10 do you have? just because it might have short front arms doesn't make it an "early" one.
Its sort of a work in pogress. I thought I had pics of its current condition, but I guess I'll have to take a couple (its a nice day, might as well get to it). I would like for it to have Edinger/Earliest Production Specs, eventually.