Now dont laugh.....

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MONSTER
Approved Member

Now dont laugh.....

Post by MONSTER »

Here it is...
My first try at "fabbing" a chassis. This is as far as Ive gotten. May have to do some REdesigning, but gonna try not to stray to far from here. I want to try a small servo before I redesign anything. Anyone know if a Futaba FP-S32H (maybe 832H) will be good enough? Its just small enough, and I can even have about 1/2 inch battery adjustment. Plus, I have a couple laying around here.
There will be a LOT of material cut away after I make it a drivable vehicle. Its just what I threw together with what "crude" tools I have here. When I decide just how I want everything, I'll take a short drive to Dads (and his MACHINE SHOP, hehe)

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

That's pretty neat. How thick is your base chassis? A s32h should be narrow enough, just make sure you use a servo horn tall enough to allow the linkage to clear the servo though.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Hmm

Post by MONSTER »

I never even thought about measuring it. Its not much thicker, if at all, than tin. Dad just brought it over, and I thought, at least it will work to start with, but its the Rails (braces) that are going to be the most trouble. Next time I'll use some thicker material and change the bracing. But this was FUN....unless you're asking the Wife. :roll:

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Looks good man. 8)

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks good. Nothing wrong with keeping it simple (people at work seem to often forget that principle). I like the extended wheelbase.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Nice start there,cant wait see it finished up.DON

MONSTER
Approved Member

Huh?

Post by MONSTER »

Extended wheelbase?!?!. I was hoping I was spot-on. But DUH, that IS something I NEVER thought of checking. What is the Stock wheelbase for a DS? The only 1/10 "Street Body" I have (BMW. before this, only been on T3 and MGT, hehe) fits the wheelbase VERY nicely. Guess I should have taken a pic with it sitting on it. Sorry. Later I will.

Thanks everyone, for the encouragement. I do ALSO have most of the parts for NITRO DS.....hmmm, maybe after the RC10.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Uh

Post by MONSTER »

Why does it look like an "extended chassis"?

What is the actual wheelbase of a Stock DS?

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

wb of my nds is around 10 1/8th inches.

it does look a little longer, but thats most likely an illusion from the custom chassis.

MONSTER
Approved Member

BodyPic

Post by MONSTER »

Throwing an OLD, BEAT UP, wooden ruler beside it, looks like it may be about 10 1/4. I'll be a little more precise later when I feel better. This is NOT the body that will be used. Maybe a 196? Mustang Fastback incuded in a deal Im working on.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Re: Now dont laugh.....

Post by knucklebuster »

MONSTER wrote:Here it is...
My first try at "fabbing" a chassis. This is as far as Ive gotten. May have to do some REdesigning, but gonna try not to stray to far from here. I want to try a small servo before I redesign anything. Anyone know if a Futaba FP-S32H (maybe 832H) will be good enough? Its just small enough, and I can even have about 1/2 inch battery adjustment. Plus, I have a couple laying around here.
There will be a LOT of material cut away after I make it a drivable vehicle. Its just what I threw together with what "crude" tools I have here. When I decide just how I want everything, I'll take a short drive to Dads (and his MACHINE SHOP, hehe)
Nice job for the first time out of the gate. A perfect example of Keep It Simple Stupid engineering. Looks like the length, or at least the wheelbase, worked out.

I wouldn't post my first chassis even if I still had it! I later made some cool fiberglass 10L chassis but those are long gone too. I think I can still feel the fiberglass particles in my lungs.