Scan request: RC10 set up for carpet oval circa 1991

The place to request any scanned items you may need.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Scan request: RC10 set up for carpet oval circa 1991

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

RCCA ran an article sometime around '90-91 where a guy set up an RC10 for indoor carpet oval. I cannot for the life of me remember which model he started with. Maybe a graphite of some sort. Anyway, he replaced the front shocks with tie rods and put the front shocks in the rear. He also used off-set A-arms to mimic the old Indy cars. The tranny was turned around so it was a mid-motor mount. It was not a kit, but a custom(although fairly simple)job. Anyone have this, or even remember it? Even if you just know what issue it was so I can track it down. Thanks
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

jwscab

Re: Scan request: RC10 set up for carpet oval circa 1991

Post by jwscab »

i just got all my RCCA mags from the attic at the 'rents. I'll see if I can find it.

oh yeah, as a side note, does anyone know when the first issue of RCCA was?

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Winter 1986 (RCCA was quarterly back then). Has the Bruiser and Futaba Magnum Sr. on the cover.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

cool thanks for the heads up. just quickly looking at the stack, I had a ton of them from the 89-93 era. I have to go through them and sort them out. I'll look for the carpet oval article.

do you know if the car you are talking about was on the cover?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

OK, i found a couple of articles that might be what you are talking about. I looked in 90-91 time frame, and found an article about a mid motor rc10 swap. I looked all over to try and find this lowering conversion the guy did, there was nothing in 90-91 like that, so i dug earlier, and I had to go back to March '89, where the guy swapped the front shocks onto the rear with a couple of piece of kydex, and used some rod ends on the front end.

so I wasn't able to find a full article that did both. I didn't see where they touched the front a-arms either, except the guy was using andy's wide arms up front with the lowering mods.

do these articles sound like what you are talking about?

let me know I'll scan them but it might take a day or two.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

jwscab wrote:OK, i found a couple of articles that might be what you are talking about. I looked in 90-91 time frame, and found an article about a mid motor rc10 swap. I looked all over to try and find this lowering conversion the guy did, there was nothing in 90-91 like that, so i dug earlier, and I had to go back to March '89, where the guy swapped the front shocks onto the rear with a couple of piece of kydex, and used some rod ends on the front end.

so I wasn't able to find a full article that did both. I didn't see where they touched the front a-arms either, except the guy was using andy's wide arms up front with the lowering mods.

do these articles sound like what you are talking about?

let me know I'll scan them but it might take a day or two.
Man, thanks for diggin'! :D March of '89 is probably it. I think it was a yellow cover with a light grey pinstripe. I could be wrong about that too. It was a loooong time ago. I probably killed off the brain cells with beer that were assigned to the details of it. I doubt the car was on the cover because it wasn't anything on a grand scale. Even just a quick digital photo of the car with the shell off would be appreciated if you don't want to go thru the trouble of scanning the whole thing. I'm probably the only person interested in it. If it's what I want I can order the back issue(I think) from RCCA. Thanks again!
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

the only one i remember them using the tie rods in place of the front shocks is the one jwscab mentioned. the body was a bolink buick regal done up like ricky rudd's quaker state stock car. it wasn't a mid motor setup though.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

scr8p wrote:the only one i remember them using the tie rods in place of the front shocks is the one jwscab mentioned. the body was a bolink buick regal done up like ricky rudd's quaker state stock car. it wasn't a mid motor setup though.
You guys are probably right. I may have combined the two ideas into one super car! A super car being driven by a circus chimp. :roll: Anyway, I'd still like any quick pics of both cars if it's not too much trouble. Thanks
Ken

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

no prob. I'll try and get em scanned in soon, maybe in a day or so. I have both ariticles bookmarked in the mags, I just need to dust off the scanner.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

ok,lets see if this works. If you have a hard time reading them, PM me with your email addy and I can forward you the bmp scans (6meg each)

carpet oval:
Attachments
ovalrc10-2reduced.JPG
ovalrc10-1reduced.JPG

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

the rc10 mid conversion:
Attachments
rc10mid1reduced.JPG
rc10mid2reduced.JPG

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Thanks a lot man! That's good stuff. I must be going crazy though, I swear there was at some point an article that had a mid-motor, lowered RC10 with short A-arms inside and longer ones outside. It was one of the first articles I read where they featured an article on something a reader did. Not to say it was their first by any means, but the first I remember. I'm going to send them an e-mail. Seriously though, Thanks! I know how hard it is these days to take time out to do something like this and I really appreciate it. :D
Ken

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

no problem, it was just good timing, as I was digging out my old rc stuff and had the mags right there.

incidentally, I have a complete archive of issues from Jan 89 to jan 94, so a nice 4 yr snapshot. so if you need anything else, let me know. the more info the better so I don't have to track it down would be great.

if you do find an article like that, I'd like to see it. I'm curious about the arm thing, what you mean, the description you are saying isn't clear in my mind, of course, it take me awhile sometimes.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I just sent them mail. Maybe they can pin-point an issue. It may have been a different mag or a something stupid I did...who knows?? :lol:
Ken

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Just an FYI:

For a $20 yearly membership, you can download all of RCCA's issues in pdf format from 1986 to 2004. Join here:

http://www.rccaraction.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&type=gen&mod=Core+Pages&gid=B577B97C8F6B48AAB06AAB4BEACF294E

Unfortunately, the advertisements are not included, but all the articles are there. I finally finished downloading everything the other day; it's about 5 gigs or so. I have all the issues from 1986 to 1992, but it's nice to have the digital version for quick reference and the issues since '92.

Regards,

Robert