Kyosho Javelin project, any help would be appreciated

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JetTech101
Approved Member

Kyosho Javelin project, any help would be appreciated

Post by JetTech101 »

I got this Javelin off of Craigslist this past week. I have to admit I do not know much about these buggies( Other then the fact that I have wanted one, but prices on ebay are pretty high). The chassis and drivetrain look just like the Optima series. I know that parts are missing from the roll cage such as side bars, the front nose piece. I do not know about the tires on this as they have no Kyosho markings. I think the wheels are original. I do not know about the shocks. If anyone can give me some info on what I got I would appreciate it. And of course if anyone has the missing parts for this and they are for sale I would like to know that as well 8)
Thanks. Ryan.

Kyosho Ultima's & Turbo Optima's, Team Ass. RC10's, Jammin CRT , RC10TC3, Tamiya F-150, OFNA 9.5

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Javelin project, any help would be appreciated

Post by Mr. ED »

Wheels shocks and tires all are non-original but look pretty good and are most likely hop-ups over the original parts.
It's exactly those parts kyosho offered option house hop-ups for, and the same parts that got upgraded in later optima versions; for good reasons.
Ufortunately I don't have an idea who made those parts, not option-house for sure.

pituk
Approved Member

Post by pituk »

I had a look at mine and it has red shocks and collars with a spiral pattern on the wheels.

JetTech101
Approved Member

Post by JetTech101 »

Ok, so it sounds like the Javelins had the same wheels as the original optimas, as looking at one of my optimas it has the spiral pattern wheels. Do you guys know of a modern wing that would fit this? I could just buy some and see what they look like.
I think Im going to try and fabricated some sort of piece for the front, it looks empty and stands out. What about the under belly black protective strip that is zip tied to protect the chassis, home built or Javelin piece? I really want to take it off :)
Ive got an original uncut Turbo Optima driver doll I want to try and put on this too.
Kyosho Ultima's & Turbo Optima's, Team Ass. RC10's, Jammin CRT , RC10TC3, Tamiya F-150, OFNA 9.5

pituk
Approved Member

Post by pituk »

Mine was also missing the wing , I used an Associated wing for it. Checked my manual and it did not show an under belly piece. There was also a metal piece in between the front shock tower and front roll bars that was zip tied on. It shoud be easy to fabricate with some lexan or small metal plate.

Bullfrog
Approved Member

Post by Bullfrog »

Hi JetTech101, looks like you have Beagle wheels and Beagle shocks on it, Beagle released a copy of the Optima in the 80', i believed it was made in Korea, I think, I have one NIB, if you look on Tamiyaclub.com, and look me up, Bullfrog, you will see one in my showroom. The bottom black skid plate is made by JG, i think, i have a new one myself but no markings on it, if you work out what parts you need I might be able to help, but i won't be able to help with any part with the rollcage, also Kamtec makes a repro rear wing.
cheers Bullfrog

JetTech101
Approved Member

Post by JetTech101 »

Wow bullfrog, thanks for all that great info! I will check out your webpage. I think I have seen those old kyosho copies being sold on ebay before( Im pretty sure someone on this site made a thread about one not too long ago). Are the shocks worth a darn as far as performance do you know? I doubt they are worth much money but they sure look decent to me. The wheels also will clean up nice. Ive talked to Kamtek guy about a month ago, I think he said they just make the Turbo Ultima wings ? I wonder if that would look decent on this as well.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Those shocks can't be much worse than the original red ones :lol:

Bullfrog
Approved Member

Post by Bullfrog »

i have to agree with Mr Ed, they can't be much worse than the Red Shocks. My one a still in the original blister pack. Cheers Bullfrog

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

Actually, the beagle shocks are pertty good when set up correctly (oil level). The collars are made of the same plastic as the arms...so they are much stronger. There's a plastic bushing inset in the bottom peice (that screws on to the shock body) which means it never touches the shock shaft. In addition, you don't have to use a special tool to remove it.

Regards,
highwayracer

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

biggest problem with the ed shocks beside of the ever breaking clamps is their lack of capacity to hold the oil in :roll:

JetTech101
Approved Member

Post by JetTech101 »

highwayracer wrote:Actually, the beagle shocks are pertty good when set up correctly (oil level). The collars are made of the same plastic as the arms...so they are much stronger. There's a plastic bushing inset in the bottom peice (that screws on to the shock body) which means it never touches the shock shaft. In addition, you don't have to use a special tool to remove it.

Regards,
highwayracer
Cool, well I might just have to oil these babies up and take her to the track, the buggie runs, even has an old Futaba two stick controller with servos installed , just plugged in a battery and off she went! The roll cage doesnt really fasten to anything in the rear, I know the front snaps over those 2 nipples(yeah baby), but what holds the rear of the roll cage down from flapping in the breeze? I think Im missing some important pieces in that respect.

JetTech101
Approved Member

Post by JetTech101 »

I took a picture of the inside of the rear shock if anyone is interested. They had a lot more parts then I expected inside. The bottom nut appears to be brass. They had no oil in them...I hope they hold some oil. Also took a pic of what pieces of the roll cage I do have if anyone could tell me what pieces are missing. And last is a picture of my new optima, I just thought it looked cool. 8)

pituk
Approved Member

Post by pituk »

There's a metal roll bar that sits in front of the rear shock tower , the roof has to dimples that clips into that.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

uses some asso green slime on the sealing parts in the bottom before you oil the shocks back up
Just to be sure