The Ferrari comparison...

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fordtransman
Approved Member

The Ferrari comparison...

Post by fordtransman »

I was beginning to believe that my taste in R/C was beginning to get expensive. Today, while on a multi-stop day trip that included the corner where where the RC10 was born, I stopped by the Newport Beach Ferrari dealership. However, they were already closed for the day. Business must be a bit slow... Brought my senses back together, I have not seen 20+ Ferrari in one place in some time.

Enjoy.
Attachments
P1000557.JPG
P1000558.JPG
P1000556.JPG

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Re: The Ferrari comparison...

Post by Bongo Fury »

Pretty cool, I’m a Ferrari drooler too. The Meadow Brook Concours d’Elegance honored the prancing horse on it’s 50th anniversary in ’98 I think it was.

Not sure of the exact details, but I believe there were 8 cars built in that first year. At least 3 of those, maybe as many as 5, were at the show. Plus an incredible number of noteworthy ones after that, first mid engine, first Dino, examples of each engine family, on and on. Most sitting in circles of 8 or so on the golf course. While walking around them I nearly bumped into Phil Hill, ’61 Formula 1 champion. Chatted briefly, he was very gracious just as advertised, and seemed as mesmerized as I. Mr. Hill just recently passed away, first US F1 champ.

During the awards ceremony the cars were driven up and presented on the 18th green. Priceless line of cars, as they started them up to pull ahead a gang of guys would scramble along the line with tape recorders to capture a piece of the magic. It was pretty amusing in a way.

The parking lot was filled with groups of Ferraris arranged loosely by model. Must of been easily 20-30 each of 3 series cars, Red Heads, Dinos, some of the somewhat more common models, with several Daytonas and such. A couple of F-50s sitting in the Mansion parking lot.

I’ll have to see if I can dig up the program or my pictures, it was quite a day for sure, something I'll never see, or hear, again.

http://www.mbhconcours.org/

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Very cool. 8) As you can imagine there aren't too many Ferrari dealerships in Evansville, IN. :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

fordtransman wrote:The Ferrari comparison...

I guess I missed something, but where's the whole "comparison"?? :shock:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I love all Italian cars. I was pretty heavy into Ferraris and Lamborghinis when I was younger. After I moved to NYC, I saw them all over the place. I still appreciate a nice one though, especially any vintage example. Shortly after I first moved out I had some of my paintings on display at Manhattan Motor Cars, that's NYC's Lamborghini/Porsche/Rolls Royce/Bentley/Lotus/Spyker and whatever else dealer. Nice guys working there. But, the more I got in to it and the more I was around people who owned these cars, the more turned off I got. A lot of the owners seem to own them for the same reasons their wives own Louis Vuitton hand bags. For fashion and to impress their peers. For instance, I went to a Ferrari Councours at West Point, I think it was in 03ish. Tons of awesome Ferraris. One guy had a Dino with a Ferrari badge on the hood, one behind each window and one on the trunk. Now, if you know anything about Ferarri, you know the name Ferrari is not to be found anywhere on a Dino. The guy got out of his car and was wearing a Ferrari shirt, Ferrari hat, Ferrari shoes, red pants and had a mini clown bike in red with Ferrari badges on it. I almost laughed. He was the extreme, but there were a lot of stuffy people there. Ironically enough, the coolest people there seemed to be the ones in old blue jeans, tshirts and comfy sneakers who pulled up in an F40 with bugs splattered all over the front. It was pretty easy to tell the true enthusiast from the people with the status issues.

On a side note, I got to walk through an amazing shop in Elizabeth NJ around that time as well, Classic Coach. I think they were the hosts of the Concours show. Anyway, in that shop, as soon as I walked in there were 3 F40's in a row in the service bays. One was a race car, not street legal. They had one of Enzo's old racing Alfa's from the time before he started making his own cars. On the second floor were two modified Lamborghini Miura SVs that were at SVJ-like specs. I don't know if they were genuine SVJs or not, but they were totally bad ass. Sitting there collecting dust, waiting for restoration. There were tons of other cars in there two, some for repair, others for restoration, etc. There was one Maserati from the 50's (sorry, don't know what model) that they had just finished restoring, I believe they were selling it for $6 million.

Here's one of those F40s that was in the shop. This is an oil on canvas painting I did a while back:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

RER40 wrote:
fordtransman wrote:The Ferrari comparison...

I guess I missed something, but where's the whole "comparison"?? :shock:
Ferrari vs. R/C as far as expense. It's after noon so I guess it's ok to start drinking... :P
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Ferrari vs. R/C as far as expense. It's after noon so I guess it's ok to start drinking... :P
Ah, OK, I guess I just lost it in the translation/explanation (or lack there of) ......
I "guess" if there was going to be a "comparison" that comparison photos (before/after) might have gotten the point across a little better. Ya gotta have things to compare for it to be a comparison, ya know? :wink:

Don't really drink anymore, but I'll try this thread as an excuse with the wifey-poo and see if it flies. :lol:
(but if I get whalloped I'm gonna owe you one)

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

MelvinsArmy wrote:This is an oil on canvas painting I did a while back:
:shock:
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Ferrari vs. R/C as far as expense.
Wouldn't it be nice if all we had to do was sit back and collect exotic cars? Anyone want to sponsor me? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Mel, that's amazing! :shock: I'd kill to have any sort of drawing/painting ability. I carve a pretty good pumpkin though. Kind of on a different level though... :oops:
Ken

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I love all Italian cars. .........On a side note

Speaking of side notes, and foreign exotics - I once got to see a Porsche dealership's "inventory" in Orlando
get sucked into a sinkhole never to be seen again. :shock:
911's, Targa's, 944's, etc. still floating around in the Florida aquifer.

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

My first line:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I was beginning to believe that my taste in R/C was beginning to get expensive"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thus, we have "The Ferrari comparison"

Now, beyond the poor use of grammer, for which I do apologize...

1. Ferraris are expensive, when compared to R/C cars
2. I did not find it necessary to include a photo of an RC Ferrari
or any other R/C Car.
3. We all know what R/C Cars look like, and what they cost.
4. Many have not seen A Ferrari dealership. (New Ferrari Cars)

And it DID go over well with the wife, I hope this helps with everyone else's "other" as well.

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

uh, what?

:mrgreen:

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Halgar wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if all we had to do was sit back and collect exotic cars? Anyone want to sponsor me? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hey Halgar...I'll sponsor you...you take checks?! :mrgreen:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

klavy69 wrote:
Halgar wrote:
Hey Halgar...I'll sponsor you...you take checks?! :mrgreen:
Todd
Yes, but they prefer to be know as the Slavic nation ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :wink: :lol:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know why but you caught me off guard on that one...maybe its the pills :wink:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!