Kyosho Inferno MP5 Restoration / Build

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

K-Max
Approved Member

Post by K-Max »

Thanks Dennis! :)

I agree with you.. in these generations of buggies the option parts didn't quite have a matching color scheme.. these motor mounts were released with the first Inferno (MP3) if I'm not mistaken.
Shian

K-Max
Approved Member

Post by K-Max »

The last pieces for this build have finally arrived. I've managed to hunt down the optional Kyosho ballraced servo saver, as well as a silicone coupler from OS.

20200721_213052.jpg

I've also found the front steering top plate in the light champagne anodizing. Here's a comparison with the original piece (that I've polished).

20200719_223130.jpg

All installed including now the front torque rod supplied with the long wheelbase chassis kit.

20200721_213112.jpg
Shian

K-Max
Approved Member

Post by K-Max »

All together now, with new white wheels and a blue wing :)

20200721_213128.jpg
20200721_213138.jpg
20200721_214638.jpg
20200721_214606.jpg
Shian

Lavigna

Re: Kyosho Inferno MP5 Restoration / Build

Post by Lavigna »

First class build. Great work.

Great find on the blue wing. They are not easy to come by.

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Hi K-Max,
I haven't checked this forum for a while and it looks like I missed out this great build. The car looks great! Thanks for posting the close-ups shots as well. Would you mind if I make a reference and link to this thread on the Inferno Wikipedia page?
You mentioned, that the Torsen Diff was made by Kyosho, do you happen to have a part number for it? I picked up some used Fioroni diffs recently and will post them here when I find time for the hobby again.

The lack of a definite color theme for the aluminum parts at that time was a bit frustrating. If the radio posts you used are the later model, blue IFW-113's you could try using the IFW-102 special engine mount which is also in blue. Alternatively you could go for the BSW-54 radio posts in the purple which matches your current engine mount. Blue wheels pop up in Europe every once in while, so if you are interested I can keep an eye out for some.

Will you be painting a body for the car at some point? If you do, please post it here.
Current collection can be viewed here. https://flic.kr/ps/3guKZY

I am the initial author of the Kyosho Burns and Kyosho Inferno pages on Wikipedia. Please help to keep these pages up to date and feel free to translate them into other languages!

K-Max
Approved Member

Post by K-Max »

Hi Lexter,

Thank you. I don't mind at all, I'm happy this build can be part of your Inferno Wikipedia page. I referred a lot to this page for this project, essentially I tried to get my MP5 to Evo spec whilst restoring it. Thank you for putting together this very useful resource page!

Here's a picture of the Torsen LSD in its original packaging and you can see the part number too.

20200802_220958.jpg

Instead of the purple BSW54 radio plate posts I fitted IFW56 blue ones. I tried IFW113 blue ones but these were in fact shorter.

Do you know if IFW102 engine mounts would fit? They do look very nice and are in matching blue.

I did later find a set of blue wheels too, but the whites remind me of my car when I ran it back in the 90s. I did source for them from Spain.

I've got the body all trimmed, and at the moment am looking out for the decals.. they aren't so easy to come by, I must say.
Shian

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Hi K-Max,

thanks for the quick reply and the picture of the diff in its original packaging. That is a great reference for other fans of the MP5/MP6!

I had never heard of Kyosho Team parts up until now, and a quick google search didn't give many results. If you have any information about them it would be good to know. I will try to find out a bit more about them and will then add it to Wikipedia with a link to your thread. In the meantime I have added some information concerning other 3rd party suppliers in the optional parts section. More details and links to pictures including the Fioroni parts will follow as soon as I have time.

Thanks for correcting me concerning the radio-posts! IFW-56 were actually standard on the MP6 International :oops: . I noticed both these and the engine mounts were missing in the comparison table on Wikipedia so I have added them.
Unfortunately I am not sure whether the IFW-102 will fit, but Lavigna might know, or perhaps there is someone in this forum with an MP7.5 who can measure them for you. The cheapest I could find was on ebay in France (link below). Shipping is pretty cheap so it might also be worth buying and re-selling if it doesn't fit. The only drawback would be that the even the MP6 International was still supplied with the BSW-54 as standard so it wouldn't be period correct anymore.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/KYOSHO-IFW102-SP-Engine-Mount-MP7-5-/293328664672

Just in case you haven't seen them, here is link for some MP5 Decals. I bought the USA-1 decals from them, and they were very good, so unless you have to have the originals, this might be a good option.
https://mciracing.ca/products/1-8th-kyosho-inferno-mp5-decals

I am the initial author of the Kyosho Burns and Kyosho Inferno pages on Wikipedia. Please help to keep these pages up to date and feel free to translate them into other languages!

K-Max
Approved Member

Post by K-Max »

Hi Lexter,

Thanks for the link to MCI! Now I can get going on the bodyshell.

If I'm not mistaken, Fioroni made parts for Kyosho Europe. These option parts have Kyosho header cards. I've got a chassis from Fioroni like this.

Kyosho Team parts are similar in concept too, I believe they would be option parts made by other manufacturers. Here's another example (not mine). Kyosho Team card, this chassis for the MP6 is made by Alex Racing.

20200803_112555.jpg

You are right, to be period correct is to have some pink parts mixed with the blue ;)

I'm trying to find the source of information on the IFW4 ballraced servo saver that claimed the blue plastic is a different resin from Du Pont. I read this once but can't seem to find it anymore.
Shian

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

HI K-Max,

that is amazing information, thanks!. Please feel free to post any more information you might have on the Kyosho Team parts as I am sure this is of interest to others, or you can of course contact me via PM if you would rather not go too far off-topic in this thread. I have made a quick reference to the thread in notable options section of the MP5/MP6 and will expand that as more information turns up. It would be interesting to know during which time period the "Kyosho Team" brand was in use, and for which cars the parts were available. Do you happen to know whether the Alex Racing is the "Alex Racing" based in Austria or the former "Alex Racing Design" based in Japan?

I am looking forward to seeing the finished body at some point! Will you be going for a custom paint job or box art?

K-Max
Approved Member

Post by K-Max »

Hi Lexter,

At first I had assumed it would be Alex Racing Design that made the chassis but I think I am wrong. The arrow logo seems different from typical ARD logo.

20200805_212048.jpg

I'm sending the bodyshell to a buddy living in Spain, and I'm indeed thinking about box art, but I can't find enough pictures of the box art bodyshell. A view from the top would be useful but so far the best I can find is this:

minicataloguemp51.jpg

I've placed an order for the decals from MCI :)
Shian

Hoseman50
Approved Member

Post by Hoseman50 »

Hi K-Max.
Congratulations on a superb build, you have done a fantastic job on your mp5.
Love the torsen diff, I used to run an mp7.5 with Fioroni diffs all round. It was good for some tracks, not so for others, but gives the full bling factor.
The fact this is your original kit makes it even better.
I have attached a couple of pictures of my own mp5, it’s the basic kit, straight out of the box. Only additional parts are the shock towers and front chassis brace.
Attachments
8BBD9798-5DB4-4A1C-A059-1821D327ECDC.jpeg
9045D34A-43B5-4E0C-B985-D34F99526FF5.jpeg
B68FCF09-25C7-49E9-8E35-0F9AC021A71B.jpeg
8BED8079-3E79-472D-90E1-A6EB356A1640.jpeg

K-Max
Approved Member

Post by K-Max »

Thank you Hoseman!

You’ve got a really beautiful build there, I love your Repsol scheme!
Shian

K-Max
Approved Member

Post by K-Max »

A bit of an update after some time away - I managed to find some option parts available from Kyosho Germany. These alloy C-hubs replace the stock plastic ones.

20201117_003409.jpg
20201117_003524.jpg

During installation I realised the lower hinge pins wouldn't fit.. these new ones made later for the MP6 were very slightly larger in diameter. Fortunately my old used MP5 examples were still around.

20201117_003453.jpg
20201117_003511.jpg
20201117_003536.jpg
Shian

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Fascinating! Thanks for posting that, I did not know they existed. The part number IF05 is the same as the plastic versions. It would be great to know more about them if you have any additional details. They look really good on the car too!

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Very cool parts find. This is really a beautifully built buggy. Great work!