The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC10resto

Re: The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Post by RC10resto »

If you guys have not already seen it........try to catch the Mat Hoffman "Big Air" show on ESPN. It is one of their 30 / 30 series shows and worth the view.

Kayne
Approved Member

Post by Kayne »

I watched it. Man it was awesome seeing all the cool stuff he invented. I especially loved the weedeater motor he mounted on his bike just to ride that humongous ramp. The Dave Mira thing with the world record really pissed me off though. The Condor did it first. :lol:
oh yeah I jave a 90's model quadangle (just the frame) and an 80's model Haro master in sad state of disrepair. After watching the film it got me itching to rebuild the quad.
Matt

Drive It Like You Stole It!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Man - i've beenreading through this thread & I must say there's some real sweet machines that some of you guys own........ there must also be something in our blood that makes us compulsive to buying the things we had or couldn't afford when we were kids - be RC10s or bicycles :lol:

I really like the Raleigh Burner series of BMXs - I don't think you got them in the States (perhaps it was called the 'Rampar'?) To be honest they weren't a patch on the American bikes - but they were robust & came in some great colours/designs, when I was a kid a Raliegh Burner was all I wanted 8) Some 25 years later Raleigh re-released a couple of the models & I brought the gold 'Super Tuff'. Here it is, but I must admit the quality is not anywhere near that of the original Nottingham built bikes.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

My latest. This is a Firemans Texas Cruzer. A 26 inch bmx bike. I built this bike for long rides, but I think it's going to be my #1 non-commuting bike. It rides like a dream. It's a wheelie machine. It just feels "right". A new school bike with lots of old school flavor.
firemans1.jpg
firemans2.jpg
firemans9.jpg

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Very nice but I thought you said "Bling bling is not my thing."??????? :lol: :mrgreen:

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

MelvinsArmy wrote:My latest. This is a Firemans Texas Cruzer. A 26 inch bmx bike. I built this bike for long rides, but I think it's going to be my #1 non-commuting bike. It rides like a dream. It's a wheelie machine. It just feels "right". A new school bike with lots of old school flavor.
firemans1.jpg
firemans2.jpg
firemans9.jpg
Are those Pauls brakes and Crupi pedals?

dsmith
Approved Member

Post by dsmith »

drbelleville wrote:
MelvinsArmy wrote:My latest. This is a Firemans Texas Cruzer. A 26 inch bmx bike. I built this bike for long rides, but I think it's going to be my #1 non-commuting bike. It rides like a dream. It's a wheelie machine. It just feels "right". A new school bike with lots of old school flavor.
firemans1.jpg
firemans2.jpg
firemans9.jpg
Are those Pauls brakes and Crupi pedals?
looks like bullseye pedals and profile hubs...nice...

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

slotcarrod wrote:Very nice but I thought you said "Bling bling is not my thing."??????? :lol: :mrgreen:
My words come back to haunt me. :lol: Nothing is polished though. 8)

Yep, Paul brakes and Profile hubs, the pedals are Crupi. I'm going to replace them with Profile Gas pedals when they become available again.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

In my junior high school days, I had a Diamondback BMX (could've sworn it was a "Viper", but it looked almost exactly like this "Pro" model from 1979). The decals on mine were slightly different than the pictured bike, I don't remember the orange snake being there, and the lettering I believe was blue/silver on the prismatic background.

I wonder how much that bike would be worth these days? It was in mint condition when I sold it around the time I went to high school and outgrew it. I must say it was a stunningly beautiful bike, with the Chromoly frame and an abundance of blue alloy components.

http://www.os-db.net/content.php?134-Pro-(Large)
Attachments
1979 Diamondback Pro.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

SofaKing
Approved Member

Post by SofaKing »

Very nice bike sir!

I love the black and gold combo. Those tires look like they took a little massaging to get on there.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

They are a tight squeeze. As long as the rear rim stays true, I'm in good shape. There is about 1/8" clearance on each chain stay and about the same between the top of the front tire and the bottom of the steering tube on the fork. I like the look of the big tires, with that tread and their size I think they look very MX.

cyclepsych0  It’s my birthday!
Approved Member

Post by cyclepsych0 »

What an awesome tread this is! 8) Makes me want to dig out my 2 bmx's from back in the day. I still have my 1990 Free Agent Ambush and 1998 Dirt Master H.F.O. The Free Agent was the first quality BMX bike I ever got new. And the Dirt Master was a high school graduation gift. My parents did some embroidery work for Mike Devitt at SE racing back in the late '90's before it was sold. At that time Mike had brought back the Dirt Master line from the 1970's and my dad arranged for me and my best friend to go over to SE directly and pick out our choice of frame, fork, cranks, wheels, bars, etc.. We got a tour of the facility and got to go in the back warehouse to hand pick our parts! I ended up with the Dirt Master and my friend got the 24" SE Floval Flyer. Still one of my favorite times to look back on.... :mrgreen: :D :D 8)
"Relax. Alright? My Old Man is a television repairman....... Got this ultimate set of tools... I can fix it!!" - Spicoli

David H
Approved Member

Post by David H »

This thread is awesome as this is one of my other hobbies. I have around 15 old school bmx bikes now (some complete some not). Here is a pic of my 1986 cycle pro jammer that I just finished. It is all og except for the wheels and chain.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

For a while now I have been thinking of tracking down an old Haro Master/Sport and would welcome any advice as to where I might find a good example?
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Just found this old photo the other day, and I figured you guys would appreciate this. It's the prototype JMC XP1 that was raced by little Ronnie West. I owned this frame for a few years in the late 90s, and had to sell it when I lost my job. Had it on the wall on display, original dirt and all. Was one of those weird internet stumbles that allowed me to acquire it. Spent about 2 hours on the phone one evening talking to the Jim Melton, and I guess he liked me. He offered me the frame and the price was right, so I bought it.

One of those things I wish I never sold.

It's in a BMX museum in Atlanta today, so it's at least in a good home.
Attachments
JMCXP1.jpg