brushless VS ocean

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vintage AE
Approved Member

brushless VS ocean

Post by vintage AE »

I recently posted updates on my truggy about hitting the salt water with my brushless. Sorry for the double post, but I thought I would get more feedback with a new thread. The first thing I noticed was that the lipo was swollen. Don't ask why, but I got an extension cord and dragged the charger to the middle of the lawn to see if the battery was ok :twisted: no fires or explosions :( I don't dare use it though, don't want my car to catch fire. I didn't seem to care as a teenager, but now i do.

i just got around to seeing if my esc and motor is OK. Since the salt water reached the battery, it got to the motor too. I used a new battery and tried things out. The motor wires got real hot, the wheels couldn't turn very much, but the lights on the esc corresponded properly to the radio. As a precaution, I took the mamba max esc apart and used CLR and water to remove the salty crud inside. As per the motor, I took the 6 screws out but cant seem to manage to get the ends off. Even though the rotor moves ok something is making the motor over heat and not allow the esc to do the work.

ANY suggestions???????????????????? besides to stay out of the ocean next time.

jwscab

Re: brushless VS ocean

Post by jwscab »

the lipo is definitely shot now, just stick in back in some salt water, trim any wires and connectors off, and trash it after 24hrs.

as for the motor, it's brushless, and an inrunner, so the only thing inside the thing is the windings on the outer core, an inner core on the shaft, 2 bearings, and the endbells and can. I wouldn't think anything should cause a problem, but you will have to take it apart. with the wires getting hot, it sounds like maybe the windings are burnt out(shouldn't be though), or some of the crud is really binding up the bearings, or dragging on the inner core/shaft.

i would try the esc with another motor, if you have one, and likewise, try the motor with another esc. I would ohm out the motor though first, you should measure around the same ohms between any 2 pairs of the 3 wires, and an open(Megaohms) between any wire and the metal parts of the motor. If not, something is wrong electrically.

oh, one other thing, if you ever run those things in water, especially salt water, stop immediately, and flush out the parts. It's certainly possible now that trying to use the esc without washing it first smoked the FETs inside. electronics and saltwater might as well be electronics and aluminum dust as far as short circuit damage.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: brushless VS ocean

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

If it is ruined send it to Castle before buying a new one. I'm sure their warranty doesn't cover sea water, but they may charge you a lot less for a new one. Be warned though, I think their repair schedule is pretty backed up so it will be gone awhile. Saw the car by the way. That's a very sweet rig. 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken