=tuber10= again...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

=tuber10= again...

Post by badhoopty »

my old thread on this build (and all my other old threads on builds) are pretty much worthless since my picture host crashed awhile back.
:cry:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1041&hilit=%3Dtuber10%3D

anyway, for those of you who might not know it, heres my tuber10 after i built it the first time.
IMG_3022.jpg
IMG_3031.jpg
IMG_3032 1.JPG
while it looked nice, i had unknowingly ground off too much weld on one of the front shock mounts, and on its first run down a carpeted hallway at work it broke when i locked the brakes and slid it sideways into a cubicle wall.
IMG_3056.JPG
so i stripped off all the powdercoating, learned how to braze, and fixed it.
IMG_3127.JPG
IMG_3128.JPG
i barely got it fixed and rattle-can'd red before the '08 vintage nats, where i broke it on its first lap. this time a front camber link ballstud broke when i came short on the double due to a novak 6.5 in a portly rig using a first gen stealth slipper... i knew the slipper wasnt up to the task but i tried anyway... i had also mounted the upper camber links to the sway bar mounting holes on the front a-arm mounts since i didnt need a shock tower, bump-steer was acceptable but it brought the turnbuckle pretty close to the spring, and i'm pretty sure it isnt the best location in regards to strength and breakage of ballstuds...

anyway, here it is now. i picked up a set of alloy front bulkheads from atlas, which finally finish off the all alloy suspension.
IMG_4471.JPG
plans are to just tear it down and put it back together, this time with a stock tranny using a t4 slipper, mount the front camber links in to a trimmed piece of a front shock tower, and then give it a another shakedown and see what happens.

it's sad as heck that i've maybe driven this thing a total of a minute or so... :?
Attachments
IMG_4472.JPG

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: =tuber10= again...

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I like this car--what does/did it weigh in at?

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

fully loaded with lipo, i'd estimate its around 175% heavier than my vintage nats rc10, give or take.

it obviously wouldnt be near as heavy if i got rid of all the aluminum, and i know it would break less, but then it wouldnt be nearly as cool imo.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Cool tuber hoopty. Sounds like alot of work for a little run time so far but just think of all the fun your having building it yourself :wink: . You guys are gonna get me sidetracked off of my projects again with learning how to braze :lol:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

Super super nice. :shock: One of the best tube i've seen so far.
My collections:
Nikko Brat, Nikko Dictator II, Nikko Thunder Eagle, Kyosho Pure Ten Nitro, Associated RC10, Associated RC10T, Associated RC10 Graphite, Associated B4, Tamiya Tamtech 1/24 Porsche 962C, Tamiya Striker, Tamiya TRF 501X WCE.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

badhoopty wrote:fully loaded with lipo, i'd estimate its around 175% heavier than my vintage nats rc10, give or take.

it obviously wouldnt be near as heavy if i got rid of all the aluminum, and i know it would break less, but then it wouldnt be nearly as cool imo.
Then I suggest some Diet Coke livery, and a 3.5bl :lol:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

badhoopty wrote:fully loaded with lipo, i'd estimate its around 175% heavier than my vintage nats rc10, give or take.

Dude, this probably in my top 3 faves of all the old and new forums. :mrgreen: Please don't get rid of that aluminum! :cry:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

This car is definitely up there with my favourite RC10s. Those rims look great on it!! 8)

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

klavy69 wrote:Cool tuber hoopty. Sounds like alot of work for a little run time so far but just think of all the fun your having building it yourself :wink: . You guys are gonna get me sidetracked off of my projects again with learning how to braze :lol:
Todd
i didnt weld this one. but breaking it the first time was what made me learn how to braze so i could fix it.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

Charlie don't surf wrote:

its quite fast enough for me with the 6.5. 8)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

badhoopty wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:

its quite fast enough for me with the 6.5. 8)
There is no such thing as :evil: fast enough :twisted:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

got it all put back together finally. changed the rpm trans for a rebuilt stocker with a t4 upper shaft and slipper.
also mounted the front camber links to a trimmed shock tower. had to use tamiya ball-ends so the steering and camber links would clear each-other.

i discovered a shock cap thats jumped the threads on one end. if you look at my first post where there is a close-up pic showing the broken upper front shock mount, you can also see that the cap has also moved. :shock: must have happened when i originally crashed it. it's not leaking so i aint going to mess with it. it kinda screws me out of putting some thicker oil up there though. i'm afraid if i try to take it apart the threads will bugger up.

anyway, still got to zip-tie all the body panels on. i think it's ugly without them. if it wasnt cold as heck outside i'd take it to the beach.
Attachments
IMG_4571.JPG
IMG_4570.JPG
IMG_4559.JPG
IMG_4558.JPG
IMG_4555.JPG
IMG_4552.JPG
IMG_4543.JPG

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

and boom. there goes the dynamite.
Attachments
IMG_4579.JPG
IMG_4581.JPG
IMG_4580.JPG
IMG_4575.JPG

junkman
Approved Member

Post by junkman »

looks killer, I'm ready to see some video of it ripping it up now. (ripping up grass and dirt, not tube chassis, and parts) :D

Kayne
Approved Member

Post by Kayne »

That is sic :twisted: I bet that thing will tear up some dirt!
Matt

Drive It Like You Stole It!