How does a 2 speed transmission work?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Heffay
Approved Member

Re: How does a 2 speed transmission work?

Post by Heffay »

So really, if the 2 speed is not shifting all the way through a battery pack, you could make an adjustment that would hopefully dial it in for the full run of the pack.
You probably wouldn't be getting the full advantage of the 2 speed at that point though... because you probably want it to shift at its highest point if you're looking for all of the available torque from the first gear.
JRX2 in the late 80s... have since come to my senses with the RC10T, yes of course it's vintage! Wife is always destroying her Tamiaya LunchBox to call me her personal mechanic a few more times. Enjoying the fresh build of an RJ Speed Digger.

budhatrain
Approved Member

Post by budhatrain »

I just picked one up for $15 for my rs4mt- looking foward to seeing in action with BL (not too crazy probably just 17.5 setup) and Lipo

Heffay
Approved Member

Post by Heffay »

Well, my tranny may be cooked. I haven't cracked it to look but there's a lot of sideways play on the spur shaft.
I may be in the market. :mrgreen:
JRX2 in the late 80s... have since come to my senses with the RC10T, yes of course it's vintage! Wife is always destroying her Tamiaya LunchBox to call me her personal mechanic a few more times. Enjoying the fresh build of an RJ Speed Digger.

Ron Jeremy
Approved Member

Post by Ron Jeremy »

I owned (and still have) the HPI 2-speed for both Losi and AE. They didn't work off road at all. Every jump resulted in a shift and managing attitude was very problematic. Also, the thing is shoeless. It is snap engagement. No clutching at all. Because of the low traction nature of dirt, predicting or tuning shift points was fairly impossible, which resulted in highly erratic behavior.
For on-road, when bashing, it was great fun. The firm CLACK sound of the thing shifting, especially when big HP was bolted in, was enjoyable. For on road, it responded well to tuning (the shift spring could be pre-loaded). I put one in a hacked together drag car that had humongous power and it handled dozens of shifts without any noticeable wear, so it is tough.
Another drawback of the design was that it was unbalanced. At very high RPM, the vibes were extreme.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

How does a 2 speed transmission work? - Not so well.

:lol:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I only worked with one and it was a pain in the ass! :x
Schumacher had(or at least advertised)a car with a 3 speed tranny. I can only imagine what a headache that would be. I'd have to do some searching, but I'm not sure if it made the production line.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Schumacher had(or at least advertised)a car with a 3 speed tranny. I can only imagine what a headache that would be. I'd have to do some searching, but I'm not sure if it made the production line.
they made it to production in their bigblock nitro line-up. Seen it in the mags and really wanted one til I seen them in person. Couldn't tell you the name right off hand but they looked great and were easy to use/work on/get to shift right. One of the demised LHS owners near me was a schumacher nut and he raced the truck he had in the nitro 1/10 stadium truck class on asphalt. Cool to see the wheelies all the time but you can't turn when they are in the air all the time but he would sure make up time in the straights :wink: . I'll see if I can find the magazine ads in my old rc mags...
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

klavy69 wrote:
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Schumacher had(or at least advertised)a car with a 3 speed tranny. I can only imagine what a headache that would be. I'd have to do some searching, but I'm not sure if it made the production line.
they made it to production in their bigblock nitro line-up. Seen it in the mags and really wanted one til I seen them in person. Couldn't tell you the name right off hand but they looked great and were easy to use/work on/get to shift right. One of the demised LHS owners near me was a schumacher nut and he raced the truck he had in the nitro 1/10 stadium truck class on asphalt. Cool to see the wheelies all the time but you can't turn when they are in the air all the time but he would sure make up time in the straights :wink: . I'll see if I can find the magazine ads in my old rc mags...
Todd
I'll look too. I'm sure I have it somewhere because I think it was just a couple of years ago. I really did mean my comment about them not working as a joke. In fact, I admire Schumacher for doing it. There's really no reason that it can't be perfected and even taken to the next level. I'm surprised there aren't more scratch builds dedicated to this. Some of the builds you see in the r/c world are amazing so I'm sure it's coming. I guess it's just easier(and cheaper)for companies to add more power rather than more gears.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Guys,

PB brought out a 2-speed electric setup for their Mini Mustang buggy all those years ago (mid 80s)..... I have a couple of them, and they do in fact work. Maybe not the best for offroad, but who cares, they're very different...

In the early 90s, Schumacher did indeed produce a 2-speed kit, originally for the Daytona nitro pan car - Cougar / Nitro 10 gearbox, flat pan chassis, RC10L front end (not a copy, actual RC10L parts!). This was either a direct copy of the earlier PB unit, or using the setup and parts of the PB 2-speed.... right down to the names of the parts. As it fit the Cougar and Nitro 10 setups, it could actually be retrofitted into the original Nitro 10 trucks, or (with PB 2-speed pinions) into a Topcat, Cougar or Cougar 2 - that's a project I just haven't done as yet....

A few years later, Schumacher stepped up another rung and developed a 3-speed gearbox.... which can be fitted to the Nitro 21, XTR-3E, and other similar trucks that use the same later model gearbox. There was also an onroad car at the time that used the setup. Not a bad piece of kit; I have a couple unbuilt, and the engineering is top class.

Schumacher do still produce 3-speed stuff, for the Fusion chassis.... a bit too new for me, but it's still there, so there must be a market for it.....

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

so i scored my second kyosho TF 2 it came on sat the car was new built and never run and the mountain of spares i got with it i replaced everything on my runner apart from the trans front and rear it also came with a two speed after reading this post i have to say i was very impressed it shifted well and the speed increase was very quick i didn't notice any drop of even using a nihm battery

Paul
Attachments
012.JPG
008.JPG