Stripped screw removing tool?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Stripped screw removing tool?

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Hi

I am taking appart an old AYK Super Trail and a few of the very small hallen screws are stripped and rusted. I don't know the size for sure but it's likely 2mm

Do you guys use a stripped screw removal tool of some sort?

Anything to suggest?

Thanks

GJW
Approved Member

Re: Stripped screw removing tool?

Post by GJW »

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i will either use a dremel tool to slot the head to take it out with a flat head screwdriver or cut the top off and remove it with pliers once head is cut off. i never tried the bits

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

If its above the surface I would try cutting a slot in it with a Dremel like mikedealer suggested. Be very careful of surrounding surfaces though while you're cutting.

You can also try gooping up the end of the allen wrench with some valve grinding compound.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

That reminds me of a time around 1989 or so. Me and a buddy were in Illinois at an off-road race. Everything was going fine when my buddy totally stripped out a screw on his RC10. The guy in the shop did that trick with his Dremel and we thought “What a genius!”. Then…he turned to us and I guess read the expressions on our face that we were impressed. “That will be $14.” I remember it plain as day. $14. That would be a rip-off today, and unimaginable in 1989. We were 14 or 15 and had no choice but to pay. It’s one of those “Wish I knew then what I know now” moments. If that happened now I’d take that ol’ boy outside and show him what I thought of his proposition… :evil:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:That reminds me of a time around 1989 or so. Me and a buddy were in Illinois at an off-road race. Everything was going fine when my buddy totally stripped out a screw on his RC10. The guy in the shop did that trick with his Dremel and we thought “What a genius!”. Then…he turned to us and I guess read the expressions on our face that we were impressed. “That will be $14.” I remember it plain as day. $14. That would be a rip-off today, and unimaginable in 1989. We were 14 or 15 and had no choice but to pay. It’s one of those “Wish I knew then what I know now” moments. If that happened now I’d take that ol’ boy outside and show him what I thought of his proposition… :evil:
well i would have told him to put that screw right back where he found it !! and as there was no quote so no dice ... 14 years old .. ok you pay and learn :lol:

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

if you had a bench grinder and a old scrwewdriver, you could probably cut the old tip with a grinder to a sharp one sided lip and maybe try that, i never did it myself but it could get that extra grip you need.

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

OK this is all good but not enough for my problem. I know the drill bits but they are way too bing. I'm dealing with a 2mm screw! Also it is in a transmission outdrive so it's a screw that does not stick out at all. It's like the ones on the RC10 metal shock collars. There must be a way to do this....

Thanks for the suggestions though... But I need something else. I gess the drill bit but hobby size version would be the key but I don't know if they exist...

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Try putting a dab of silicone on the end of the wrench. Might help fill the small gaps. Sorry, I got sidetracked on my answer.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

what kind of allen wrench are you using?
sometimes switching to one of the hardened/machined tip wrenches will do the trick if you were using one of the soft extruded type tools.

you can try soaking it in a penetrating type oil to help free up the threads. After soaking for a while clean the oil out of the socket and try a tiny dab of epoxy or jb weld on the tip of the driver. let it cure the appropriate time based on the product, and see if that works.

If all else fails, find a 1.5mm dril bit and have at it.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Whenever I stripped a pinion setscrew I would take some CA and glue an old Allen wrench in there, let it cure, then break it out. Then cut the end of the Allen wrench off and save it for use again. Use one of the soft steel L-shaped ones, I always had tons around because they came with every kit and some pinions gears. Just be careful to not get any CA on the threads. Epoxy or JB Weld might be a little stronger if the CA doesn't hold.

I'm shocked at the hobby shop wanting $14 for a job such as small as that. My LHS offers services with labor rates for bigger stuff, like when somebody wants an engine swapped or something, mostly to deter it, but if it's a quick repair or something they'll do little things like that for you all the time; resolder a wire, drill a hole in your body for a transponder, etc. Is that shop still in business? If I saw a guy in a shop do that to a customer (forget charging, doing it after the fact without mentioning it up front) I'd be sure to tell him what I thought for everybody in the store to hear. Forget the internet and mail-order, the reason most hobby shops have gone out of business is because of their customer service.

N2Deep
Approved Member

Post by N2Deep »

usually stripped screws mean that you have bad or poor tools. i recommend MIP products. I have had stripped flat allen screws before, have used Hudy drivers to take them out without success until I used the MIPs. They have very high tolerences. That or the dremel method is the next option I'd go with.