My Vintage runner

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CNA75
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage runner

Post by CNA75 »

Chris - have just seen this thread. Yet another really impressive build! I love the fact that you have managed to combine various parts and make the car into what promises to be a superior performer on the track. The Carbon Fibre chassis is a nice touch too. I have to say that I reckon the Fibre Lyte stuff really looks impressive in the flesh - almost too good to run 8) .

So, is the car set up for Lipo? Those battery holders look like they may be (I'm a complete novice when it comes to Lipo, so forgive me if I'm completely off the mark here) - where did you get those from? What motor are you going to use?

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Hi Charles how goes it? thanks for the kind words...I cannot take full credit on this build. I do know about the typical CATS mods to address its weaknesses (esp the drivetrain) but as mentioned earlier Raul Garcia was the original engineer for this particular car. I had some other hop ups planned for it like a Trinity drum diff and the layshaft pulley but it so happen this car was up for sale so it all worked out. I was also thinking of doing a belt above the chassis like the ones they ran at the worlds in Basildon just to try out but thought otherwise. I think the battery holders are off a B44 (not 100% sure) as the screws are SAE sizes.

Funny you should mentioned about fitment of Lipos...I was just at the hobby shop today to see what would fit but space is very much a premium with the std CAT shell. Width and length is all good but just have to be careful with the height. I think something in the region of 4200ma would do the job but that is a guesstimate as the shop only had 6000ma lipos :shock: I too am a novice when it comes to all this new EP technology as I am more verse with nitro cars. Not sure on the motor yet as I have not read up on the vintage rules but I hope they run rebuildable 23t motors as a stock class as they are quite cheap and fast (hahha told you i am old school with EP techonology). However, brushless motors do make more sense these days I guess.

You are absolutely right about Fibrelyte stuff and they were totally helpful about what I wanted too. I actually got the entire carbon set to do the whole car but thought the adjustable rear end would make it more racer friendly.

If you have not seen it this is the VONATS 2009 4wd A main race and the same car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLi2AMKS8eU

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Hi Chris, congratulations on an impressive custom build! I'm doing the same at the moment and will post pics and videos soon. btw thanks for the clips of Raul's car - brings back childhood memories.

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Hi Luke....welcome to rc10talk.com :wink:

Can't wait to see your builds......another Schumacher CAT fan to the club!

Raul Garcia
Approved Member

Post by Raul Garcia »

This is a great runner. I took some time in setting this one up. So for so good Chris.

tazz888
Approved Member

Post by tazz888 »

uzzi wrote:Come on Raul lets see it!
It is a killer cat2000ec. He bought a few off of me and built one super car. It is my pick for the vonats win this year!
Ron DePoto
Team Driver:
Schumacher / Speedpassion / Core RC / Express Motorsports / Dialed Inc. / ROAR Region 1 Director

Raul Garcia
Approved Member

Post by Raul Garcia »

Oh yeah, killer. Pics coming soon.
This is a low quality video of it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIS_ImcXIr8

kaszal
Approved Member

Post by kaszal »

Hi Chris.

Interesting, you used collets to secure the rear wishbone hingepin. I also see you're using Bosscat front hubs. Did you have to sand down the upper wishbone spacer T161 to get the right camber? How narrow did you go? Have you raced it yet? I'm going to have a go at Stotfold on Sunday. Wish me luck!

Luke

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Hi Luke,

Originally the collets were mounted at the back of the car but I switched it around to make removal easier. The upper suspension spacers you have mentioned is actually a 2 piece affair. One is 2mm and the other is 1mm and the original is 5mm. They have not been sanded hence it may have come from some of the later Schumacher cars. Have not had a chance to race mine yet it is winter over here and the local club is going through a rebuild. Fantastic you are running yours good luck mate!