My Vintage runner

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

uzzi
Approved Member

My Vintage runner

Post by uzzi »

Chapter one

After restoring a few shelf queens CATS I thought it would be nice to do a CAT I could actually drive and perhaps enter in some vintage races. The criteria for this particular build was to not limit it to any purist vintage ideology rather a robust, functional and perhaps my version of the ultimate CAT. The search began for a low mileage model; it did not bother me whether it was a Procat or a normal CAT as long as it was reasonably complete. Imagine my luck when I saw Raul Garcia’s VONATS winning Procat for sale, a deal was quickly made and the car was on the way to Australia. For those that do not know, Raul is a Team Schumacher driver so his skills are right up there but the work that went into making the CAT a formidable vintage runner is something else too. Lots of careful thinking and engineering went into this car especially in addressing some of the weaknesses of the CAT. I had previously been following some of the modifications Raul had done to the car but after seeing his run in the VONATS on youtube I was sold….what a rocket!

The car as I received it

The car today!

Now I already had in mind what I wanted to do with my build, the dilemma was to preserve it as is or do I go ahead with the build? Most of the job was already done by Raul which was probably the more critical part of the build (robustness and functionality of the drive train). So the main reason for this route I took was the fact that I really like the looks of the original CATs….form over function perhaps? There was no way the standard ProCat chassis would fit under the original CAT shell so the decision was to go for Fibrelyte’s Carbon chassis for the XLS. Who could say no to some carbon goodness in their cars?

The list of mods include,

Trinity machine diff pulley at the front
Ceramic diff balls (f&r)
Bosscat front hubs
Lunsford turnbuckles all round
RPM ball connectors
Custom lay shaft with alloy pulleys
JC racing wheels
Bosscat rear Diff
Bosscat rear suspension plates
Alloy belt tensioners
Slipper clutch (I think this is a Schumacher option anyone knows?)
Traxxas Rulon pegs
Buds main belt (Orange)
Buds wing mount
Custom carbon steering arm
Fibrelyte carbon chassis and top plate
New bearings and trust bearings

Rear end
Front end

The eagle eye Schumacher enthusiast may recognize the shocks are different to that of the standard shocks. Now I may be wrong but I am pretty certain this was a Procat SE (the model between the std Procat and the Bosscat) at one stage in its life. I checked with Raul and he said that the shocks were standard and another tell tale sign were the motor plates which were black anodised before. I have not decided which side I would run the servo and may still change it to how it was orginally on the Procat. This was probably one of the most satisfying build to date everything is so smooth and free. It is by no means finished yet but it is pretty darn close to it......thanks for dropping by.

lcpvcce
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage runner

Post by lcpvcce »

Procat hybrid nice.................... :D
Atomic carbon S44,S4,S2,CR2,Ultra 410,SS4.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Well done on getting another nice Schuey onto our shores. :D I built my Procat racer a few years ago and it has been a very very solid performer at many vintage and non vintage meetings. These cars set up well are no slouch and many of the mods you have on your car I also made to mine.
The 3mm ceramic diff balls go a long way into creating some very sweet diffs. I also have the Bosscat rear 23mm Pro diff in the rear and a Bosscat slipper too. The Bosscat rear hangers for the arms and the front hubs are also used which make for a very robust car on the race track.
I think im running a 12 single Orion 'V' spec motor in mine and it drives very nicely .

When will we see you at one of the Sydney or Melbourne events?
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Hi Jason,

Yeah I would love to make a trip over east for a big meet...you guys seem to be making it happen for vintage racing over there. The local club here has made some noise about hosting vintage racing but we shall see. You are right about the ceramic diff balls.....super smooth! Now for the shell......hmmmm.

Raul Garcia
Approved Member

Post by Raul Garcia »

Looks great. Wait till you see my new Vintage racer....

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Come on Raul lets see it!

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

That is a schumacher slipper. It came with teflon slipper pads that fit on both sides of the spur. They worked well for the time period, but they were short lived, as the bosscat style slipper came out not long after. -Jeff

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Jay is correct. Its an original slipper for the Procat from Schumacher. Ofcourse an upgrade for the time. I have had a couple of these but when you swap out the spur you have to reset your slipper. The Bosscat style is far better for this reason also.
Still a cool and rare item as you dont see them for sale too often.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Ahh ok…thanks for that guys it was not a functioning slipper when I first got it the plates were there but no friction material. I am not sure if it will work but I got some Traxxas Rulon pegs in there to try out. I also changed the bevelled washers and replaced them with a proper spring for a bit more consistency.

jeroen206
Approved Member

Post by jeroen206 »

Look here for how to put it together
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=50959&id=15092

Photo 5 (U770 slipper)

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Thanks for that Jeroen....I just thought I would try something different with the Rulon pegs. Who knows I may retrofit something else on there :P

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Very nice build there mate - good job.

I finally got around to running one of my C.A.T.S at the meeting we had a couple of weeks ago. Brought back alot of good memories for sure. I ran it in standard XLS form - with a few small mods to make it a bit more driveable. I swore I would not get any of my C.A.T.S running - cause I knew once I did - I would not stop - I really did love them back in the day.

Would be good to see you over here mate for a run. I am organising another event at Castle Hill later in the year - perhaps you could give it a go then.

Cheers - and again - great looking ride.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Sounds like a plan Darryn...have to brush up my driving skills again :? I have not driven in rc for sometime now let alone an EP buggy. I have plans to go for an overseas trip early Aug so perhaps later in the year (maybe when it is not so wet :lol: :lol: ) I am sure something can be worked out. Thanks for the props.....I still have a few things plan for the car yet :wink:

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Yeah it would be cool to have you come over for one of our big vintage meetings. I'll have a table available for you in my 'SCHUMACHER TEAM' pit space. :wink:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Very kind offer Mr Bormac it would be fun to actually meet fellow vintage enthusiasts like yourself and Darryn. As much fun as it is restoring vintage cars it would be something else running the old girls around a track.