Long lost Member needs help (Welder to Fuse Box/Panel)!!!

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rctenracer
Approved Member

Re: Long lost Member needs help (Welder to Fuse Box/Panel)!!

Post by rctenracer »

If breakers are still availilbe for your box looks like you have two holes left for them.Looks like you have 80 amp service. You need two 30 amp breakers I would use 10-3 cable with ground. Buy the outlet you need for the welder and mount it where you want it. If the cable run is more than sixty feet you need 8-3 with ground with the 50 amp draw on the welder. Red and black are your load wires from the breakers to the outlet brass screws. White goes to the neg. buss and silver on the plug. Black is ground green screw on the plug also goes to the neg. buss. Anything below the panel must be run threw condiut and anything out of the top threw ceilngs walls you are good to go with romex and clamps.

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

rctenracer wrote:If breakers are still availilbe for your box looks like you have two holes left for them.Looks like you have 80 amp service. You need two 30 amp breakers I would use 10-3 cable with ground. Buy the outlet you need for the welder and mount it where you want it. If the cable run is more than sixty feet you need 8-3 with ground with the 50 amp draw on the welder. Red and black are your load wires from the breakers to the outlet brass screws. White goes to the neg. buss and silver on the plug. Black is ground green screw on the plug also goes to the neg. buss. Anything below the panel must be run threw condiut and anything out of the top threw ceilngs walls you are good to go with romex and clamps.
This is real wrong. You have to have either a 2 pole fuse setup as mentioned before, or a 2 pole breaker. 2 single pole breakers are illegal for what he is doing, not to mention the amp draw is listed at 50A so he needs minimum #8 wire depending on the type of insulation. 2 30A single pole breakers don't equal 60A.

At this point maybe you should just hire someone who knows your local code. I'm in Chicago and your whole setup is illegal here :mrgreen:

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

Ok, heres what Ive done today. I went and talked to the Electrical Guy (a very grizzled old man) at Lowes. Showed him the pic of Fuse Box/Panel, and he said: I would have no problems wiring the Recepticle straight from any one of the 2x60a ganged blocks. (I choose the Stove - see #3 below) Red and black to ganged block, and white and naked anywhere on the Bars on either side of Main (where ALL the other white/naked wires are). Only question I forgot ask, was where to put the Naked Wire, on the recepticle end. He really seemed to know what he was talking about, but if anyone sees any problems with it, Id be much obliged to hear it.

I spent some time this evening "tracing" everything in the Box/Panel. Here are some things I found. 1. A lot of the list inside the Panel Door was wrong. 2. I found one ganged block (2x30a), that doesnt seem to run ANYTHING in the house. 3. The Stoves ganged block (2x60a) has wires 3 times the size of all the others.

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

You only need the white or the bare wire to the ground of the receptacle. The screw should be green. Just select one of those wires and cut the other on both ends. Then take the other side to the neutral bar.

Where do the wires from the "stove " fuse go? Stove? A/C? Don't you need these? They are bigger than anything else because it's a 60A breaker :mrgreen:

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

AscotConversion wrote:You only need the white or the bare wire to the ground of the receptacle. The screw should be green. Just select one of those wires and cut the other on both ends. Then take the other side to the neutral bar.

Where do the wires from the "stove " fuse go? Stove? A/C? Don't you need these? They are bigger than anything else because it's a 60A breaker :mrgreen:
Uhh, to the "stove"...I was gonna wire the Welder in WITH the Stove, just not cook while welding. There are other 60a blocks, but they have the same size wire (1/3 the size of Stove wires) as everything else going out of the Box.
This seems simple ( I understand how/what to do), cheap (already have everything), and "sounds" safe (but what do I know...not much). But as I said, anyone who sees a problem, PLEASE tell me about it.

Truckguy

Post by Truckguy »

Just curious, What kind of welder did you get anyhow? (Stick, mig, tig?)

I would've bought a double breaker and just wired into its own. You have the space in the box to do that. I also would have bought breakers to replace the ones with fuses also.
I don't mind being behind the modern times, at least we had common sense back then.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

As for the naked wire, I mentioned it in a previous post.

You can either do 2 things:

wire both the naked and white wire to the bonding bars inside the panel. at the receptacle end, wire the naked wire to the green screw or whichever is labeled with the '->' symbol. then wire nut and tape off the white wire in the receptacle junction box.

OR, do the exact same thing, but wire nut and tape off the white wire at both ends. Leaving the wire in place leaves you an option of flexibility if you need it in the future, and is more 'correct' than just cutting the wire back to the jacket.

wiring to use the stove fuses is perfectly fine if you are sure you don't use the stove at the same time. the only problem I see with that is if you are ganging it, you might not be able to physically get both sets of wires in the gang block, they are oversized, but not so much that you can double up really heavy wires. Do you plan to use the stove receptacle or use a completely different one? If so, just get another gang fuse plug it in and avoid the stove fuse headache.

ONE other question, you say you have a ganged fuse that isn't doing anything? Can you replace the fuses with 50a fuses? if so, all you need is the fuses, and wire to that gang block.

does the house have a dryer? one other option you might have is to use the dryer socket, and run an extension from there. alot of times the dryer is near the back of the house, or at least, one of the closest rooms to the garage.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

Ok, it done. I wired in with the Stove. Did it Thur or Fri, but havent had a chance to try it out. Got some pieces together to make a simple CD/VCR Tape Stand today, but noooOOooo, the WIfe decides to COOK!!! :twisted: THE KIDS DONT NEED TO RIGHT NOOOWWW!!! :lol: Anyway, at least what Ive done so far hasnt burnt the house down. So, if the Welder actually WORKS (and still doesnt burn the house down, :lol: ), I should be good. 8) :D

Thanks everyone!!! I'll let you know how it goes. I might even try to make an ACTUAL RC related post!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: