Hydradrive on a stealth problem/question

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

transamman908
Approved Member

Hydradrive on a stealth problem/question

Post by transamman908 »

After locating a used upper shaft for mounting the hydra unit on a stealth trans, I'm having having a problem after the complete unit is installed and going to put the rpm gear cover on( cover hits the unit). I knew there was a problem as soon as I saw the spacing from the spur gear and motor plate. The whole unit is to far away from the motor plate. Was there different length top shafts or is the shafts that are made for a MIP gearbox longer?
Attachments
003 - Copy (10).JPG
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Re: Hydradrive on a stealth problem/question

Post by littleVETTE »

first do you have a shot of the shaft? is it squared on one end like this?

take the hydra unit off the shaft. make sure that the inside of the inner housing is free and clear of any crap and line it up on the top shaft again. everytime i put a new unit on a shaft it's always a bitch. just slowly, with slight force, push it on. it'll go on slowly. don't expect it to be hard at first than finally go on easily. it'll go on the whole way hard. push it on with both your thumbs, while your fingers are grabbing the motor plate. it's best to do it with the tranny out of the buggy/truck. as soon as you feel it going on, turn the the hydra unit 90degrees and keep pushing it on with your thumbs. this way you get the unit on evenly and not damage anything. take your time putting it on. that's the only pain-in-the-ass thing about the hydra on the stealth.

here's a shot of what it should look like. the spur should be 5/32'' from the motor plate.

let me know if you need a copy of the losi instructions for the hydra on the stealth. i'll send it to you.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

i just spotted the problem. you have to use your inner STEALH hub with the losi slipper pad. not the losi inner hub that you have on there.

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

littleVETTE wrote:i just spotted the problem. you have to use your inner STEALH hub with the losi slipper pad. not the losi inner hub that you have on there.
Great! Thanks for the help. I will give the steath hub a go. The unit I have is for a Losi trans and it does not tell about the steath in the directions so this was a big help, thanks.
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Whoa...first of all what is a Hydra drive and how does it improve your tranny?
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

RC104ever wrote:Whoa...first of all what is a Hydra drive and how does it improve your tranny?
It’s like a lock up torque converter from a full size automatic transmission. The interior rotor and the housing have vanes and it’s filled with thick shock fluid. It was combined with a typical friction disk slipper, part of the drive is through the fluid.

The idea was to run the normal slipper loose, so when going over bumps the fluid would give enough to prevent the tires breaking traction. But the fluid was thick enough to prevent burning up the normal slipper pads.

In the right conditions it worked great. At the ’91 Worlds where it debuted the Losis were dramatically faster and smoother through the whoops section. One can clearly see it in the videos from the race.

But then tracks started going blue groove and it fell out of favor. One of my many unfinished projects is to mount it to a modern car for running on big blown out 1/8 scale out door tracks. I think it could live again!

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Bongo Fury wrote:
RC104ever wrote:Whoa...first of all what is a Hydra drive and how does it improve your tranny?
It’s like a lock up torque converter from a full size automatic transmission. The interior rotor and the housing have vanes and it’s filled with thick shock fluid. It was combined with a typical friction disk slipper, part of the drive is through the fluid.

The idea was to run the normal slipper loose, so when going over bumps the fluid would give enough to prevent the tires breaking traction. But the fluid was thick enough to prevent burning up the normal slipper pads.

In the right conditions it worked great. At the ’91 Worlds where it debuted the Losis were dramatically faster and smoother through the whoops section. One can clearly see it in the videos from the race.

But then tracks started going blue groove and it fell out of favor. One of my many unfinished projects is to mount it to a modern car for running on big blown out 1/8 scale out door tracks. I think it could live again!

Wow, very cool! Are these still available out there?
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars