Black Friday

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Momo5
Approved Member

Black Friday

Post by Momo5 »

So did anyone get any good deals?

I didnt go anywhere, but I got a pretty sweet deal on a new Xbox 360 250gig with 2 games for $199.99 with free shipping from the Microsoft store.

Perfect timing since the disk drive my old xbox 360 has been messing up pretty bad.

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: Black Friday

Post by kaiser »

nope, i'm working but if i was off the last thing i would do is go shopping.

one of my guys got up @4am to go shopping before work. lol

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

My sister & mother do this every year. Since it started early this year, they actually left Thanksgiving dinner early and went to stand in line at 5pm for a 9pm opening (they were 30th or so in line). I believe their plan was to shop at that store, then attend a couple midnight openings... crash at my sister's house for 3 hours or so and then leave at 4am for a couple 5am openings. My sister does live less than 10 minutes from the largest mall in NH so her house apparently makes a good base camp.

Personally I am working today.... half my day's pay will more than cover any savings I would get shopping today. Plus my office is climate controlled and no one is standing in line waiting to use my keyboard. :roll: :lol:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I'm at work physically, but gave myself the day off mentally...
It's dead anyway. They only have salary personnel work so they don't have to pay us. :roll: We do get free food and 2 days off for it though so it's not too bad I guess.

I looked thru the ads, but I didn't see anything that I couldn't live without. The last couple of years have been kinda bad for deals I think.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

civilguy wrote: half my day's pay will more than cover any savings I would get shopping today. Plus my office is climate controlled and no one is standing in line waiting to use my keyboard. :roll: :lol:
I feel the same way, back in my 8 to 5 days my labor rate was $100 an hour. How good does that sale have to be and how much crap would I have to buy to make it worth my time? It's not like they were waiting for the LHS to open! :mrgreen:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

funny you should mention the lhs, i was talking to the owner of my lhs (it's a huge independent multi hobby store, think hobbytown but way bigger and better)
i asked him if black friday was a big day for them, he said nope, the 10 day before xmas are the big days, xmas eve being the biggest. they average 20 kits a day in those 10 days, plus all the other no rc stuff.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I stayed up until about 5:30 a.m. Thursday morning and I bought a blue Wii for $99 with free shipping from WalMart.com instead of throwing punches to get one at the store today. :mrgreen:

I also bought my mom an eReader and a digital camera online with free shipping.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Most of the deals are just the crap they can't get rid of the rest of the year. Like laptops with odd size monitors for example.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

didn't go shopping. instead i took my border collie in to have her stitches removed and ended up bringing home another border collie. he is 6 months old, utd o his shots and they are going to fix him for free. he cost me $nothing. he needs a lot of work seeing he was bought at 3 months old as a puppy, ate a few chickens and ended up being boarded in the vets kennel for the next couple months until i brought him home. he has zero training and is very scared of people. i took him for a short walk at the park on the way home from getting him. every time someone walked by he laid down and curled up in a ball hiding his face shaking. it will take some work fixing this pitiful broken border collie but worth it in the end.

i named him "Black Friday".

wmcwings
Approved Member

Post by wmcwings »

I'd say yesterday was his LUCKY day. Too bad people treat dogs that way. I sure hope you are able to win back his love of man. Good luck!
Charlie
Redding, CA

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Let me know how you fix him, we've got a year old white German Shepard that isn't much better. He was bounced to 4 different homes in his first 6 months, none of which were the best places, particularly the last one.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Actually I forgot. I did make one Black Friday purchase. I had the ol' lady pick up this heating unit ($54 8) ) specifically to keep me warm at the computer! :lol: Man I'm getting old! :lol: Works like a charm though, and looks pure vintage! :mrgreen: A re-re woodburner so to speak. 8)

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

Halgar wrote:Let me know how you fix him, we've got a year old white German Shepard that isn't much better. He was bounced to 4 different homes in his first 6 months, none of which were the best places, particularly the last one.
well i thought about having them fix hm and insert prosthetic ... from neuticles. but i figured a regular neuter job would work just fine. if you are talking about behavior that's different.

i have ye to fail on training a dog. though i am having difficulties with one of my border collies but she is a special case. she had a severe head trauma as a pup only a couple weeks old. so complications from that have made things very difficult. but i still think she may have hope.

but as far as training and reconditioning "friday" things are moving along great. in the week we have had him he has been leash trained, will sit on command and also sit without having to be told when having the leash put on or taken off. i have also worked with him on training him to control his wants. i can now sit a treat on his nose without him moving or trying to get the treat until told. i have taken him out to socialize him nearly every day which has really helped out with his fear of others. he still has a way to go but he is catching on to everything very quickly.

have you checked into obedience classes for your gsd? what issues are you having with him and how much time each day have you dedicated to training?

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

LowClassCC wrote:well i thought about having them fix hm and insert prosthetic ... from neuticles. but i figured a regular neuter job would work just fine. if you are talking about behavior that's different.
Oh, I already took care of that. Took him out to the shop and used a hammer and an anvil. :wink:

Bet THAT just made everybody wince! LOL
LowClassCC wrote:but as far as training and reconditioning "friday" things are moving along great. in the week we have had him he has been leash trained, will sit on command and also sit without having to be told when having the leash put on or taken off. i have also worked with him on training him to control his wants. i can now sit a treat on his nose without him moving or trying to get the treat until told. i have taken him out to socialize him nearly every day which has really helped out with his fear of others. he still has a way to go but he is catching on to everything very quickly.

have you checked into obedience classes for your gsd? what issues are you having with him and how much time each day have you dedicated to training?
He hasn't been properly handled much, the result of an owner that doesn't have a clue how to deal with dogs (momma's a marshmallow ). He's pretty good with basic commands, our primary issue is his fear, which is of everything, but he is particularly skittish around me. When I say he's fearful, he wouldn't leave the house because a friend parked their motorhome in my driveway. Once he got out there and figured out it wasn't going to kill him, he was fine with it, but his gut reaction with all things is flight and hide. If the cat sneezes, he jumps. It's as if he's just waiting for something to be scared about.

Using some techniques from Cesar Milan, my sis and I have gotten him somewhat manageable, but his mother (my GF ) has no clue and thinks coddling is the way to go ... :roll: