My KILLER ( Fox Knock Off) built with pics!!!

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mad Racer
Approved Member

My KILLER ( Fox Knock Off) built with pics!!!

Post by Mad Racer »

Hi Guys.

Well i got my Killer today thanks to Luke on this Forum and my lovely partner as this is my x mass present.

It;s NOT a Tamiya so i don't see the need not to enjoy building this and lightly run with other fox's . If it breaks i have heaps of Fox spares anyway.

First are some pics of the Box and contents. I have built a new Fox before so i can see some differences.

There is No driver figure . It does show it in the instructions.

Instructions are the same as Tamiya too.

Most notable difference is the the rear alloy cage, Wing, Front & Rear sway bars, Alloy shock tower, Wheels, Bumper & Motor Guard, Decals,

Any Questions please ask.

Well i had a few days off over X mass so i started to go over this rare kit.

No markings/Stamping at all on any parts. Chassis is also stamp free. Only give away is a tiny Made In Taiwan on the Box Divider.

Top Chassis cover is a slight brown color .Not all black like the Fox.

Main Chassis is black but no hump to take the hump packs back in the days

Wheels are nylon but and tires are very soft compared to Tamiya's at the time. One of the rear tires have the direction arrow point the same way on both side walls but only one rear is like that.

The instructions look like a direct copy of Tamiya's but are loose pages stapled together .

Let the building commence.!!!!!!!!!!
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

fristajlo
Approved Member

Re: My KILLER ( Fox Knock Off) NIB but not for long...

Post by fristajlo »

Sweet! Kits are supposed to be built!
How is the quality of the different plastic parts compared to the fox?

fristajlo
Approved Member

Post by fristajlo »

Looks like the bottle of shock oil is a Tamiya knock off also. With the checkered sticker and all :wink:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mad Racer wrote:Wheels are nylon but and tires are very soft compared to Tamiya's at the time. One of the rear tires have the direction arrow point the same way on both side walls but only one rear is like that.

That's funny that this kit uses directional tires on wheels that were molded non-directionally to cut manufacturing costs. The left & right side wheels are identical. :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Cool kit Mark! Glad to see you are building it. You know, those wheels would bug the crap out of me once installed. :lol: Too bad they didn't think to make them reversible so you could mount one backside out. I got a pair of those with a car I got for Christmas. Unfortunately one is cracked at the hub.
Gary

rsj

Post by rsj »

Nice find! Glad your not leaving it in the box any longer.
I bought a similar knock off buggy nib last year. Mine was boxed as a Great Vigor and in searching for info on it came across the Killer. I think the Killer was also made by Great vigor but was definitely sold through Maplins UK.
This next bit is a quote from an ebay ad for a Killer,

Killer 1/10 Scale 2WD Electric Powered Off-Road Racer.
This Rare, Vintage Kit is Brand New in original kit box
complete with the building instruction manual.
The model features : -
This is a 1/10 scale electric powered radio controlled high
performance offroad racing buggy. The overall length is
435mm, height 225mm, width 137mm, weight ready to run is approximately 1,590 grams. The frame & chassis is the monocoque type made from ABS resin. The gearcase, suspension and other parts are made from engineering plastic for high strength to weight ratio. 4 wheel indipendent wishbone type suspension is damped by adjustable coil over oil filled shock absorbers. Wide front and rear tread, plus low centre of gravity provides extreme stability on all off road surfaces. Sealed monocoque frame and gearcase protects the high performance mechanism and gearing from dust and debris during running. Kit contains the competition RS-540S high power motor. Rear tires are the low profile, oval block tread pattern, proven on tracks around the world. Front tires are straigh ribbed, low profile semi-pneumatic type, preferred by the serious competitor. The tough and lightweight, one piece wheels contribute greatly to the overall performance of this racing buggy. The scale like body is made from polycarbonate ( Lexan ) and is easy to paint and decorate using polycarbonate paints.
This is an interesting model in the style of a Tamiya Fox 2WD racer.

The seller was mikes_models ebayUK and if your quick you can see the car in his feedback sold on 14-Nov-11

Great Vigor were done by Kyosho for copyright late 80's early 90's and their products were then taken from the shelves, Maplins were probably done by Tamiya as well looking at your kit :D If you search web for Fox knock off/replica or Maplin Killer buggy you should find some more info. Make sure to replace all kit grease as it probably won't be greasy any more!!
Hope you enjoy the build.
j

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Re: My KILLER ( Fox Knock Off) Built with new Pics!!!!

Post by Mad Racer »

Thanks rsj , Gary & fristajlo.

The info that you described of the Killer is the same as on the Box.

The build of the Killer was as good as Tamiya's Fox. The front end with the low mounted sway bar was very hard to get right. The rest of it went together well and the gearbox was very straight forward. The Alloy bits like the sway bars, Alloy rear bumper & cage all look to be very well designed. In fact the rear sway bar looks to be the same as my Wasp rear sway bar on my Boomerang. The links and pick up points are exactly the same so i think Wasp designed and made these parts for Killer.

It is all built still waiting for electrics to go in. Been busy with new projects.

Here are some pics of it finished in Box Art. The only thing i did was to install some decent wing buttons instead of the speed nuts that was supplied .

P.S I had a very good offer on this but after thinking it over I decided to keep it as I enjoy running my vintage racers.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That's a sharp-looking buggy. I'm imagining how it would look with some gold shocks... 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Thanks Marc.

My Golds are for my Kyoshos only.

I forgot to mention that the shocks are Junk. Not smooth and very thin bodies . I can see the oil through them LOL. I have plenty of Fox shocks so will use those.