MIP 4WD kit rareity

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: MIP 4WD kit rareity

Post by Charlie don't surf »

scr8p wrote:all of the mip kits have to be rare because i've never owned one.

or i'm just too cheap to buy one. you know...... that's probably it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
X 2 but like Tecnacrafts, they sure are cool!

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

I have new, cable, chain and belt conversions waiting to be built. The Cable and Legend kits are still in bag. Chain kit is still in bag - but has parts missing - which I have in other bags!! LOL I really only need the first gen MIP "straight up" gearbox to complete my cable conversion for my Sand Scorcher too - thats a second cable conversion I have. Shodogs really holding out on me with that one!! ;) Also have my Legend 410 Runner.

Here is a movie of my Legend runnig at the St Ives worlds track a few years ago - before they completely rebuilt the track, love how you can hear the old school tyres scrabling for grip:

[youtube]n5OhMEMtseo[/youtube]

Here it is again - running at the Ryde track in Sydney - had 12 turn Quin in it - was flying - even beat the Optima mid in the end!! Embarrasased by my mistakes a bit but you can see that they really fly......my mate ben who was filming cuts away to a Yokomo 3/4 way through the vid:

[youtube]tYg8KSoywt0[/youtube]

I have sold 5 Legend NIB kits in total. My friend Olivier in Germany and one or two other private collectors have been the recipients. Nice kits, however they were painful to get parts for at the time - which is stange - because when I bought my lot (5 NIB kits plus - I got about 80 individual seperately packaged parts.......Australia must have got most of them!! :lol: :lol: I kept 1 NIB Legend kit to build and a selection of spares to keep my car running.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I really like the 4-10 kit and looking back wish I had not sold mine. At the time it was looking like MIP were looking at doing a re-release of the kit in some way but as it has played out we still have not got anything this far in.

I guess it depends on luck and the contacts you have when it comes to unearthing this gear. I still remember the day when Darryn picked up many of his MIP bits (along with Losi and other stuff) from an old hobby shop haul. No doubt it could have been one of the best hauls Daz has ever had as he was smiling ear to ear when I caught up with him that afternoon at the St Ives track for a run.

I unearthed my NIB 4-10 kit simply by chating with fellow members at my local track during a marshaling session. As it happened, another club member was rumoured to have a kit and it wasn't long before I got to chating with him about it. After a long series of events ( :roll: ) I finaly ended up with it and it was a cool bit of kit for sure. Not bad for $300Aud at the time :mrgreen:

Sadly when moving states for work I needed some extra $$$ to cover expenses so it (along with plenty of other things) were sold off to bankroll the transition.

Live and learn I guess :|
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

shodog wrote:
GJW wrote:typisch(oliver) now there is a collection id like to see :shock: the ultimate 8)

has there ever been an owned cable drive on 10talk?
There was a german article that profiled him. he has a ton of stuff

I have one of the cable drive kits

he is opening a museum isn't he?

Forgot about your cable drive jim, viewed such along time ago. Cool stuff

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

One of my smaller "hauls" - however was full of vintage "gold".

I do/did have contacts for sure - that happens after over 30 years of consistent racing. :mrgreen: There has never been much "luck" in the hauls I have made, has been alot of hard work and talking to people I have gotten to know over the years. That being said - some of the best buys were ones that I just "fell over" by asking the right questions at old hobby shops. One of my favourite hauls was actually quite random. I called into an old sporting store on the east coast of Australia, one that I vaguely remembered having a hobby section back in the day..............turns out they closed the hobby section down in 1990, they had all their old stock in a store room......now that was an awesome haul - they were right into racing back in the day and I got heaps of RCH, Pit Stop, MIP, Hot Trick and other gear - as well as a few kits and old race cars.

The buys are out there - even to this day.......got a little haul a few weeks ago from an old store that remembered me coming through on one of my "buying trips" five years ago, they finally got to their stash of vintage stuff in their farm shed....

Just ask the questions - most shops keep their old stock - amazing what you can find if you have the right attitude and ask the right questions.

Anyways - enough dribbling, this is about MIP kits.........sorry! :)

Cheers

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Yes - Olivier is opening a museum.

He has also bought a full sized Sand Scorcher replica (being built) to have in the foyer........

Olivier is a very passionate man - and a great person to deal with. Have known him for over 10 years now, is always up for a chat and loves Hot Shot's!! ;)

Cheers

Darryn

steve
Approved Member

Post by steve »

011.JPG
here is mine

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Thats Tough! :)

Cheers

Darryn

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

i stumbled a cross a 4-10 kit a few years ago on ebay. it was listed as a rc10gt if you can believe that but i knew what it was by looking really hard at the pics and i was the only bidder, picked it up for $125 bucks. it came with 2 cars a completely assembled gold pan stealth bushing car in original box, and a completly disassembled black pan 4wd 4-10 car minus shocks and body. everything for the 4-10 kit was there except the elusive front tensioner even have the front rims and bones. the arms were painted green and the chassis was painted white, it must have been raced hard the belt was worn a little and the front pully was worn. i was able to pick up a few replacement parts from darryn so i can put it back together. it got put on the back burner when my 2nd daughter was born it will get built when i get some time eventually.

minimini
Approved Member
Location: KWS@Hong Kong; 3.5 hours' trip to meet tiger1 and only 7,777 miles from Doug

Post by minimini »

I got 2 Legend kits on hand.......with 1 more set on the way to my door........:)
mini@vintage Team Yokomo/Associated

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

I think Gammacrush has a belt drive 4x4 kit here on the board...

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

I have a 4-10 kit and a second gen chain drive SP-2 complete kit that also came with the belt hop-up. I had another almost complete SP-2 kit but sold it to Aaron. Given the very relative success at the time, I don't think these are so common in good and complete condition. Most of them were raced and spare parts availibility was scarce even back in the day. What is really special about them is that Associated never made a real 4x4 kit until the BJ4/B44 and although there were constant rumours AE fans only had that kit to make their RC10 compete in another class... Just my 2 eurocents.

railey72
Approved Member

Post by railey72 »

So for my own clarification, there were 4 different MIP 4wd kits? I was not aware that the belt drive was a hop-up to the chain drive. I always assumed that they had the chain drive kit and then updated the kit to a belt drive version later on.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

railey72 wrote:So for my own clarification, there were 4 different MIP 4wd kits? I was not aware that the belt drive was a hop-up to the chain drive. I always assumed that they had the chain drive kit and then updated the kit to a belt drive version later on.
My sp-2 kit instructions had 7/87 date on them and my SP-45 kit had 7/88 date printed on them.

This is all very interesting!

Jerzi
Approved Member

Post by Jerzi »

I sold my not complete cable kit to Oliver many years ago.
I have talked with him via phone and have seen some pics from his collection.
Have to say when I saw the pics, WOW what a collection.
We had so much to talk and have to say, he have bought lots of stuff from me in the past.
The cable kit is very nice one.
Jerzi