ok guys a lil oval car build help

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

farmer
Approved Member

ok guys a lil oval car build help

Post by farmer »

OK so im a pure offroad racer, been all my racing life with a little sedan here and there, i have raced oval a few times. Not by choice more like went to the track expecting to race offroad but they where racing oval , so i raced it and thats about my racing extent for oval. well the other day i went to the track and they where racing oval,i just went there for a part. While i was there one of my offroad buddys was there racing his sprint car and he asked me to drive it. I said hell ya (any chance to drive something im all game) so i grabed the radio and started doing laps. It was cool than he told me my lap times where on top of class, i said no way ,and he showed me the lap times average lap for sprint class was 5.8 to.6.1 i was running consistant 5.8 to 6.0 with even a few 5.7 no joke! I was pretty stoked. I havnt even driven on a oval for at least 10 years. So we started talking about me racing oval. i said well lets see what i have at home and lets see what i can come up with. I dont want to start racing oval with any seriousness but if i can throw something together, cheap than hey i might show up and race every now and than!
so this is what i have that i think i can throw together for a late model class.
so here are my questions
as you can see from the pics the front end sticks way past the body, im not stuck on this body its just what i have is there any way to narrow the front end other than moving the front mounts in,and cut the chassis a lil to allow the a-arms to swing. I will be running foams
for that seems to be the tire of choice.
or is there short oval arms that i can get to fix this. i will be making a custom shock tower
also do they still make oval rims and foam tires that can bolt on 1/4 cvds in the back and stock fronts
are would it just be better to get a wider body,this body is 7-3/4 wide im guessing i would need one about 9"
also thinking about running front shocks with limiters all the way around
in the one pic there seems to be some type of slider steering rack that will be gone
so any help, ideals, advice etc etc
thx farmer
also mods we dont have a oval forum so if you feel this needs to go somewhere else
thx farmer
Attachments
oval 001.JPG
oval 002.JPG
oval 003.JPG
oval 004.JPG
my spelling not so good! but i can DRIVE the wheels off anything!

Phin
Approved Member

Re: ok guys a lil oval car build help

Post by Phin »

Don't cut that chassis!

That body is for narrower pan cars and you just need a different one....a wider one built for a 235mm/9" track width. McAllister sells some you can use, or you can get a Latemodel oval body from Custom Works.

Honestly that chassis should be used to build a sprint car...especially if you're going to race against sprint cars. If you want to build a street stock oval racer a tub will do the job. There's more than a few oval builds in this forum that do just that.

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

I agree with Phin, I would not cut the chassis, I think there was some short arms made but im not sure if they are easy to find nowadays. I hasve a set of andys short arms on my Ascot Sprint car, Here is a picture of them, Its actually for sale on ebay at the moment so its all boxed up and i cant get any better pictures lol. (Not trying to sell is in this thread, just the only car i have with short arms for a sprint car)

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

these 9 and 10 inch bodies will fit plenty underneath

http://www.mcallisterracing.com/index_files/Page801.htm

i would leave the slider rack on. they are great for saving room on the chassis.

i agree with phin, that chassis was made for sprint cars so you might as well.

sprint cars are the most fun you can have on oval imho. the best racing too.

if your stuck on a street stock/bomber class a gold pan chassis or even just a hacked out, home fabbed g10 chassis will get you going plenty fine.

what would you say your price range is for getting the car built? ive built stuff with cobbled parts for no more than 20-30 bucks and ive seen guys drop a grand on the track trying to beat 30 dollar cobbled cars.

farmer
Approved Member

Post by farmer »

thx guys
ya i dont want throw money at it , i might try to get a wider body

it wont be raced against the sprints. It will be a late model wedge i guess thats what its called
i do have a couple hacked pans, just had this chassis and a few more like it, so i thought this would be a more oval'esk way to go maybe i can find some old fiberglass oval chassis that i can customize for dirt oval
maybe we can do a hacked team rc10talk team build and i can post some vids and updates on my adventure into oval racing
farmer

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

regular old gold pan will work just fine actually. that chassis is in good shape and not super rare but atleast still pretty desirable imo. if you had the cage parts you would have something special.

we have a 17.5 latemodel class that is based around 2wd buggies and atleast 60% of the class is gold pans and graphites. turning same laps as the b4's and what have you.

farmer
Approved Member

Post by farmer »

SRTracer121 wrote:regular old gold pan will work just fine actually. that chassis is in good shape and not super rare but atleast still pretty desirable imo. if you had the cage parts you would have something special.

we have a 17.5 latemodel class that is based around 2wd buggies and atleast 60% of the class is gold pans and graphites. turning same laps as the b4's and what have you.
well i guess to the bst section it goes maybe someone can use it for a sprint build
and i can get some type of oval chassis
dont wanna hack something that someone else could use
farmer

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

farmer, the original stock short arms would bring the front end in quite well for ya

I think you would still need a wider body.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

farmer
Approved Member

Post by farmer »

thx jk
im thinking about going a different route trying to work a deal for a late model chassis
this chassis will be BST
i got the dont hack that chassis lol
when you coming up to race you missed the JBRL
farmer

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Farmer, I'm guessing you run at Rainman's/Racers Haven? If so you definitely are going to want a proper oval chassis to go play, especially in their 17.5 LM class (check on that because I know there was talk of most of the guys switching over to 10.5 edm because that's what we run in the "Best of the West" summer series). Also is the track sealed right now? (usually is in the summer) for a sealed track you're going to want to be on magenta or purple compound tires, if it's wet clay like they run in the cooler months, then gold or bronze compound tires.

Ask around if they have a Street Stock Class? we run Street Stock in the Best of the West series and it's a great class for someone getting started in oval racing, stock buggy based chassis and a spec motor/battery/esc to keep the cost down.

I'll be making the trip down there on the July 7th & September 15th weekends for their big oval races, come by and check them out!

farmer
Approved Member

Post by farmer »

PBR Allstar wrote:Farmer, I'm guessing you run at Rainman's/Racers Haven? If so you definitely are going to want a proper oval chassis to go play, especially in their 17.5 LM class (check on that because I know there was talk of most of the guys switching over to 10.5 edm because that's what we run in the "Best of the West" summer series). Also is the track sealed right now? (usually is in the summer) for a sealed track you're going to want to be on magenta or purple compound tires, if it's wet clay like they run in the cooler months, then gold or bronze compound tires.

Ask around if they have a Street Stock Class? we run Street Stock in the Best of the West series and it's a great class for someone getting started in oval racing, stock buggy based chassis and a spec motor/battery/esc to keep the cost down.

I'll be making the trip down there on the July 7th & September 15th weekends for their big oval races, come by and check them out!
ya i run at rainmans,,,, haven is long gone
it is sealed and very grippy, turn one has a nice bump rite at the start of the apex not bad but its there
they kinda had a buggy type 70s stlye car body class but from what i understand they racers keeped arguing about the rules so that class is no more
but if i can get a pan chassis i wanna race with the big boys go fast baby
hell ya ill come by and see ya when you come down its always cool to meet fellow members
i just want to do a cheap chassis and drive the beans out of it
farmer

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Here are my cars so you know which pit table to look for.

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

they're to clean to be dirt oval race cars...............

this is how a dirt oval race car should look

stir stir stir

:mrgreen: