Thinking outside the box...

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Diggley
Approved Member

Re: Thinking outside the box...

Post by Diggley »

Hmmm,

Now for a little Krylon "Fusion" magic which will make these semi close to this:
Attachments
IMG_8883.JPG
IMG_8882.JPG
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Diggley wrote:Hmmm, "Thinking outside the box" 2.0...

I decided to make the car a lttle less silly..(I loved the cartoon look, but this may be at least a little closer to what I originally had in mind.)

Like my other projects, they'll be a few twists and turns before it's completed.
Looks more something that might actually work now, but I'd narrow those rear rims from the outside if I were you.

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Mr. ED wrote:
Diggley wrote:Hmmm, "Thinking outside the box" 2.0...

I decided to make the car a lttle less silly..(I loved the cartoon look, but this may be at least a little closer to what I originally had in mind.)

Like my other projects, they'll be a few twists and turns before it's completed.
Looks more something that might actually work now, but I'd narrow those rear rims from the outside if I were you.

I'd agree, but..

I'd like to narrow the axles to tuck in the rear tires, but I don't have a lathe..and don't want to spend the money at a machine shop. Modifying the axle housing would be fairly easy.

I need to keep most of the F&R wheel outer edges/offset in order to fit the VW style wheel halves correctly.

(I'm looking for a place that does chrome work on plastic...the Krylon Fusion hunt didn't turn up anything close to chrome or aluminum.)

If I could find another set of 1.7" front wheel covers, I might be able to shave only about 1/8" off the rears.

I'm not going to sweat it to much, the car isn't a true semi-scale project anyway...and the fat rear tires sort of lean towards the gaudy customs of the early 70's.

For now, it looks like a giant slot car... :D
Attachments
IMG_8976.JPG
IMG_8975.JPG
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...