Thinking of getting out of RC...mostly

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC104ever
Approved Member

Thinking of getting out of RC...mostly

Post by RC104ever »

Hey all, so I've been thinking more and more about getting out of RC. I still lurk and read here every day but I'm just not that stoked about it anymore. Part of it could be due to the fact that my kid doesn't want to run them anymore (he has a quad copter) and the other part is because I just bought myself a motorcycle (Yamaha R3).

But while part of me is willing to sell off some of the hordes of parts I've accumulated (all AE parts for RC10), the other part of me doesn't want to because it took so long to get it all.

I recently started collecting parts for the Ten4 conversion and have almost everything except the belts and maybe the wheels.

But my poor Hotshot has been sitting 85% completed for months now. I don't know what I'm waiting for but I just stare at it every day, almost wishing it would finish itself :lol:

Then I have my Tamiya M-05 GTI that is still sitting new in box, plus my RC10T x2 that were destined for shelf queen status but never bothered with those either. I also have a TC3 that I had plans for and my Sand Scorcher that is finished but I wanted to add LED lights front and back but never finished that either.

I also have several cars that need small things fixed but I've never bothered - they are just sitting collecting dust.

I know some of you have gone through this and gone back - what did you do? Did you box it all up and wait for a day when you got the itch again? I know I went through this with my VW that I used to wrench on daily but now its just a toy I drive sometimes. I haven't done anything to it in awhile - and it needs a tune up probably.

I guess I just like the shiny new toy in my garage now but don't want to give up too much of the stuff I've accumulated!

Signed,

Help I'm a borderline RC Hoarder
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Thinking of getting out of RC...mostly

Post by scr8p »

If you don't need the money, there's no reason to sell the stuff. Just put it off to the side for now. You can always go back to it later.

I honestly don't remember a time where I was ever without an r/c. Yeah, I may not mess with them all of the time. There were periods where I didn't even think about them. But I always came back to them in some way, shape or form.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

If you auction off your collection, your going to have to change your name from RC104ever to RC104sale:)

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Imo don't sell it if you don't have to. Like any other addiction, you'll be back and when you come back you'll wish you kept the stuff you sold for pennies on the dollar. Just tuck it away until your ready.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Interests change. As scr8p said, if you don't need the money, just box it all up and set it aside. I'd recommend doing an inventory and labeling boxes so you know what and where things are when you either come back to it or make the decision to sell.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Thanks guys. I think part of why I am having a hard time deciding whether or not to let it go is because of this place. Even though I literally haven't done anything for months, I keep reading up on what you guys are all doing.

I just feel like its a bit of a waste seeing it all sitting there. I have boxes of unopened tires, tons of derelict vintage RC10 parts. I will probably go through it all at some point. Hopefully before I retire :lol:

I did just do a semi purge in our garage with my kid and will likely do more when the weather gets a bit warmer. Felt good to get it all sorted and organized! Now I can actually find stuff when I want it without cursing, lol.

BTW limestang - RC104sale, lmao :lol:
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Keep it all! You will regret it in the end. I have done it once and regretted it and I got burned in the process with a rubber check. :evil:
Jeff

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Speaking for myself, I never fret about periods away from the r/c stuff. It just means I have a life. I went from 1988 to 2004 with the cars in the attic, and have been into guitars the last two years, to the extent my latest rc builds are sitting. You can sell off some stuff to lighten the load, but don't think for a minute that once the kid moves away and you retire, that you won't have a need to grab something and wrench on it.
- Brian -

My Gallery

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I think we ALL have projects that have sat collecting dust, at times lacking the motivation/time/money to do some wrenching. My meagre collection is a drop in the bucket compared to some of the RC hoards some of you have accumulated, but sometimes when I feel my motivation levels are low, I prefer to focus on my accomplishments rather than my unfinished projects. It makes me feel good to see the cars I've built, and know that eventually, I'll be in a frame of mind to build more. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

I'm in a phase right now where I'm not super into RC too. I was so focused on it for so long when I was designing the Ten4 that I think I burnt myself out on it. I've still been taking my b44.3 to the track about once a week, but as far as wrenching on them and doing projects I just haven't had much interest.
I boxed everything up neatly and got it out of my way, but where I can still access it fairly easily. And now I have a customer who wants me to build a Ten4 roller, so I'll be working on that.
Maybe after I build that roller I'll start on some new projects I've been thinking of for a while. Or maybe I'll take another break. Either way, I'm keeping evdrything, I'm sure I'll always want to come back to it.

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

Good advice from the folks here. Take it from a guy who lived and breathed RC from a pre-teen kid to his late 20's who decided when he got married and had his first house that it was a good idea to throw away (yes throw away!) all of his RC stuff.

Now that I am back stronger than ever a day doesn't go by that I don't regret getting rid of all my stuff. RC is in our blood and DNA. It may go on hiatus but it will never leave. Like folks have already mentioned, if you don't need the cash, just pack it up for awhile until you are ready to come back to it.

-Mark

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

If you have any Tomy bits give up now and sell the items to me :lol:

Seriously (that was serious if you have) I would keep the stuff, put it to one side and look back in a while from now. I have sold things in the past which I regret. One thing, an old car would no be worth a hell of a lot of money. I very much doubt I would ever afford one now days and I honestly think about it most days and regret it. I'm talking about a real car here.

I sold a fixie cycle a few years back to fund my road cycle. I regret selling that fixie, I should have found another way to get the money.

I have a mountain bike paid for by money my Nan gave me years ago. My Nan is no longer around, I would never sell that bike.

Keep the stuff man, if you feel the same in a year or two then sell it on.

As for the R3, good choice. I'm genuinely looking to get a black and gold 2010 R6 next year. Wouldn't sell the NX650 I use daily to fund it though.

Saying that, I currently have a load of Action Man stuff for sale on ebay, don't care much for dolls :roll:

Good luck what ever you decide and be careful on the bike.

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Nah. That's crazy talk. Just forget about it for a while. You'll come back around at some point.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

I'm with duckhead. I threw away so much in my college years it pains me. I had real cars, women and a new career to worry about. I still have all that, well an old career and one woman, but wish I could have it all back 20 years later. Keep your stuff, one day you will want it. I even purged a bit two years ago of my new vintage stuff and wish I had not. Now its costing me three times as much to by it all back on the eBay.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

I can only concur to everything that was said above. Iv'e been thinking many times of selling pretty much everything I've amassed over the last ten years and when I do sell a chassis or even a pair of springs, I always feel like I should have kept it as I might need these for an unknown project at a later stage. It always hurt at some point to get rid of good vintage RC stuff. I've been addicted to RC since I was 7 or 8 and only had a period of real void between say 17 and 25 years old. I always regretted selling my first cars (Ultima, TopCat and later a super nice Team Car), to the point where I am today with something like 50+ cars in various stages. I reckon it's a bit too much and I still think of thinning down the collection, but I will always keep some of the nicest cars. So yes, keep the best stuff, nicely organise what's left, put it away in a dry place and allow you time to get back to it like a magnet :-)