Have i messed up my white parts?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ROH73
Approved Member

Re: Have i messed up my white parts?

Post by ROH73 »

Most aqueous degreasers use sodium hydroxide (lye) as the main active ingredient, which is a base. For nylon, too long of exposure to strong bases can do what 'Charlie don't surf' described. I would try wiping the parts with mineral oil and then cleaning them again with a mild dishwashing detergent. In the U.S., Dawn works really well. Boiling the parts afterward will help as well. Probably not cosmetically, but it will help put some moisture (and flexibility) back into the plastic.

Have fun in the snow!!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Caine wrote:
ROH73 wrote:We have about 4-6 inches of snow today so i'm staying home to go out and play with my daughter :D
Don't let anyone sell you a Lemon Snowcone! :wink:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
Caine wrote:
ROH73 wrote:We have about 4-6 inches of snow today so i'm staying home to go out and play with my daughter :D
Don't let anyone sell you a Lemon Snowcone! :wink:
What's wrong with lemon?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Charlie don't surf wrote:What's wrong with lemon?
Well, nothing I guess if it's a legitimate proprietor of a Snowcone stand, but if it's one of your so-called buddies... proceed with caution! :shock: :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

that's why all parts turned yellow :?

Caine
Approved Member

Post by Caine »

Great day in the snow, far to deep and powdery for any rc action in it. One long day and one very tired and stroppy daughter later. I can report i managed to steer clear of lemon snow cones and managed to take my mind off messing up some precious parts :D

Caine
Approved Member

Post by Caine »

ROH73 wrote:Most aqueous degreasers use sodium hydroxide (lye) as the main active ingredient, which is a base. For nylon, too long of exposure to strong bases can do what 'Charlie don't surf' described. I would try wiping the parts with mineral oil and then cleaning them again with a mild dishwashing detergent. In the U.S., Dawn works really well. Boiling the parts afterward will help as well. Probably not cosmetically, but it will help put some moisture (and flexibility) back into the plastic.

Have fun in the snow!!
When you say mineral oil is it the same kinda stuff they use for oiling wooden chopping boards etc?

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

I think so. Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/Vi-Jon-Inc-S0883-Mineral-Oil/dp/B001B2RG1C

Baby oil is also mineral oil, but it usually has a flowery scent added to it. So if you want your parts to smell good, use baby oil :D .

In any case, mineral oil is clear, so it won't stain, and it won't harm the nylon, but it may give some oily-ness back to the plastic and clean up the chalky spots.

Caine
Approved Member

Post by Caine »

ROH73 wrote:I think so. Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/Vi-Jon-Inc-S0883-Mineral-Oil/dp/B001B2RG1C

Baby oil is also mineral oil, but it usually has a flowery scent added to it. So if you want your parts to smell good, use baby oil :D .

In any case, mineral oil is clear, so it won't stain, and it won't harm the nylon, but it may give some oily-ness back to the plastic and clean up the chalky spots.
Excellent, thank you for your help, will report back once i have had time to have a go at sorting them out :)