out of room

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

longboardnj
Approved Member

Re: out of room

Post by longboardnj »

Diamond Dave wrote:
longboardnj wrote:cool i thought you had a toy store (comic /collector store) but what your talking about sounds cooler. next thing you will tell me you get in alot of old bicycles too , id be extra jealous.. 8)
Bikes are one thing we stopped taking many years back. Just no room to store/display them. At one point we had many rows of hooks in the ceiling of the storage area, the city inspectors came in and said it

was not up to code and we had to take it all down. I did manage to get myself an early aluminum Parkpre Pro Image mountain bike (95-96?). I think it is the Image model, just says IM on the frame.

:lol:
rules suck .. cool bike, old school stuff just looks great. i like the old bikes that you could just take apart re lube and be like new. im also a fan of the old steel full rigid mountain bikes with rim brakes . too bad you cant get a bike like that for under $1000 but you can get a ton of alloy bikes with front shocks for less then $1000 . i dont get it

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, i have no real room for finished cars, they are after all, designed for rough terrain and not sitting still, so they roll off of every flat-ish surface. I have almost all of them I have collected (not counting the original cars I used as a youngster) in cardboard boxes. the goal is to get some more room after moving, so it's good they were mostly packed up to begin with.

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

You hoarders are amusing :D I tend to have one example of each object / hobby which I think is my favorite. So one rc car, one bike, one model car, one home hi-fi, one car hi-fi etc. That way I can live a more minimal tidy life. Crazy to you guys no doubt!
GARBO 1/8

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

kink, what will you do when your single item is finished? move on to another hobby?

if i did that i'd have thousands of different things and no continuity.

if i didn't race i probably wouldn't have as many, but racing and talking rc always leads to another car...

my last hobby was collecting rifles, when ammo got too expensive i sold most of them except my favorites.
sometimes i think about "downsizing" my collection....maybe someday....

on topic, when i ran out of room i got a bigger house. :lol:
now i have a huge workshop that just looks empty with my meager collection.

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I will probably end up with two mint runners. My favorite 1/10 scale is in the pieline now. Next would be something completely different. Possibly an 1/8th Turbo Burns newbuild with NovaRossi engine.

But yes I like different hobbies. Other things to do include changing my car, then installing a proper hifi in it. That is a mission by itself. Then tweak the bike some more. Then maybe tweak the rc model/s again. Or more likely get side tracked with DIY projects at home!
GARBO 1/8

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

We haven't heard from Bob Stormer yet in this thread. :mrgreen:

I don't have anywhere near what some of you guys are describing. I have a single small room dedicated to R/C vehicles and parts and I try to organize everything neatly so I can find it in the future and have room to work.

I have two 3-drawer rolling storage totes that hold a lot of my electronics and larger parts, peg hook hangers from an auto parts store on the wall for my NIP stuff and rollers, a small desk to display my boxes, a large shelf for some of my rollers and a large desk for my runners and for working on things/soldering/swearing. Oh yeah, I also have some tiny portable speakers and an iPod for some tunes. :mrgreen:

What I find that takes up the most amount of space are 1/10 scale bodies, especially oval wedge ones. I have 10-12 NIP pieces and they take up more room than hundreds of smaller parts...but they're cooler to look at. 8)

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I guess if I had tons of space (plus enough time and money) then loads of models may appeal more. As it is I have to be selective. Not sure I'd be too popular if I ended up with loads of stuff everywhere! Good for you guys if you are cool with it though.
GARBO 1/8

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

kink wrote:You hoarders are amusing :D I tend to have one example of each object / hobby which I think is my favorite. So one rc car, one bike, one model car, one home hi-fi, one car hi-fi etc. That way I can live a more minimal tidy life. Crazy to you guys no doubt!
I agree, one of everything...........including one of each rc10..........ever made :mrgreen:

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I'd have to sell my Audi to pay for that. Even then I may be a little short :lol:
GARBO 1/8

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

last year, i remodeled the small back room (6 x 11) on my 2nd floor to become my new hobby room. i was getting sick of working in the unfinished basement. well, i brought some stuff up, but i have yet to bring up any tools or a workbench. i just can't get into being up there yet. just more comfortable in the dungeon.

i better do something in there soon before my wife gets any bright ideas......... :roll: :lol:

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I tend to move around a bit with work and good job offers. We are still yet to buy a house (in a couple of more years) so when we are looking for accommodation it MUST have a garage. Usually it has internal access so. Being a Carpenter/Builder I consider myself pretty handy. This means I can build whatever shelving, benches etc.. I like. Typically I keep all my cars packed away in postal boxes which are just the right size to fit my buggies plus some wheels and spares. I build pigeon hole type shelves which allow my access to any one car with out having to battle with items the might be on top of it. Essentially this means storing 60 odd cars easily with lots of extra room to have projects on the go.
Works well for me.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I was thinking of building a pigeon hole cupboard to fit all my cars but my wife had a better idea to display all our stuff. We are going to line the side of the garage with glass cabinets to display everything.

I liked the pigeon hole idea but as soon as you get one car that doesn't fit it sucks..
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

I would love to hear what Bob has to say, should be informative.

I also have a few decent tool boxes that are organized into section by parts and such, and another few smaller portable tool boxes with electronics and small tools in them.

I even went as far as labeling some plastic containers with all the parts for one car or truck in it. I am going to end up with stacks of them. :lol:

Hanging lexan bodies is the easiest for me. A push pin through the excess lexan near the front bumper (new/unpainted) and I hang them in rows on the wall.

Painted ones take their place on the unit is was painted for, spares sit beside them on the shelves.