Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Post by Coelacanth »

True. What usually ends up being rare & collectible are items that nobody initially wanted, items with very low popularity.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

if i get one it will be flogged often. i don't own shelfers.

bxlt
Approved Member

Post by bxlt »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I use the word "investment" sarcastically. Anyone who collects rc cars as in investment probably shouldn't be allowed to handle money.

And in my experience, it seems that anything that is designed to be a limited run "collectors item" usually isn't worth collecting at all. Especially remakes of old products. Nascar diecasts, guitars, bmx stuff, Tamiya, Schwinn, and on and on and on. Good thing these things aren't serial numbered or there would probably be a big deal about trying to score a kit with a low number.
AE is watching and now these will all have serial numbers! :)

But I couldn't agree with you more about investing in RC, if you score a deal today and find a case of 6010's or whatever sell them today because you never know what the market will be. Sadly we are all getting older and as this generation gets older and dies off you will find that the prices will start to drop as well. I'm 38 now and love buying, building and restoring cars but when I'm 60 I doubt I'd be able to hold the screwdriver all day to work on one, as it is now I can only handle about 2 to 3 hours.

bxlt
Approved Member

Post by bxlt »

Coelacanth wrote:True. What usually ends up being rare & collectible are items that nobody initially wanted, items with very low popularity.
Or items that typically don't survive, ie children's toys, that's why cars with box or mint in box draw a premium over those that were used and abused.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

rcrob wrote:
MelvinsArmy wrote:Is everybody excited to have a new RC100 that they can run and not be afraid of scratching and breaking, or are people more excited to have a new box to put on the shelf to collect dust as an "investment"? All this talk and concern about limited numbers begs the question.

Inquiring minds want to know.
I can't see that they will have any "investment" value, as they're not the real deal. Kinda like fake boobs, they look good but deep down inside everybody knows they're not real. I mean the A-stamped cars aren't worth what the Edinger (sp?) originals are, so how can these ever even approach those kind of re-sale numbers or values?
I lost count, trying to tally up how many people only logged in here saying they were pre-ordering one, or two or three - and I'm guessing 75% will change their mind when it comes time to send in their credit card information.
If people were really that interested in having a runner, they'd have already snapped up one of the dozens or so originals for sale on ebay any given day, or just slowly assembled the parts necessary to build one.
And I'm not sure about it starting a vintage class based on one car, as I tend to think they're going to be like the bolink legends car. The coolest thing ever when they came out, everybody wanted one, they looked cool and different - but between them handling like piles (because of the antiquated design) and the inability to do anything to them as a result of class restrictions, people lost interest rather quickly.
It was like I was reading, somewhere, RPM made a run of front and rear A-arms for the originals and found out the cars just weren't as popular as people thought because they could't sell them and they now have no interest in producing anything else for the car. You can still get them at Tower, they have tons in the bins.
I see a lot of people excited about the RC10 re-re, just because, but I don't think the overwhelming majority ever had one or have any idea how badly (compared to current cars) these were out of the box.
I've mentioned a couple of times that I think it will be funny when people start fighting getting the 6-gear tranny to work halfway decently, and not a single person has asked why - and I know it's because they've never built a 6-gear.

I'm going to be really surprised if these things are still The Buzz in a year.

I'd really love to see vintage racing explode, but at the same time I think my expectations are a bit more realistic. I just don't know.
If AE does a good job with their updates to the 6 gear, there's no reason it should be hard to build. And yes, I have built a 6 gear.
Why are people excited?
.You can buy and build a brand new Rc10 and not feel bad about running it
.There's a chance this will spawn re-releases of later Rc10's
.Parts that have been out of production for a while (short arms, rear bulkhead, chassis, nose plate, transmission, anything made from white nylon, etc.) will become available again. Other than the shocks, body, wing, dogbones, and axles, there's not going to be a major part on this car that's currently available new.
And I know it's been asked before, but in what way is this not a real Rc10?
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Is everybody excited to have a new RC100 that they can run and not be afraid of scratching and breaking, or are people more excited to have a new box to put on the shelf to collect dust as an "investment"? All this talk and concern about limited numbers begs the question.

i bought one to build as a boxart shelfer since i never did one bitd, another to build and run, and the last to keep in the shrinkwrap.

i didnt look at all the old crap i bought over the years as an investment, but it ended up being one. kinda...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

How many of you are gonna drill holes in your pans to decrease weight? :P
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

badhoopty wrote:

i bought one to build as a boxart shelfer since i never did one bitd, another to build and run, and the last to keep in the shrinkwrap.

i didnt look at all the old crap i bought over the years as an investment, but it ended up being one. kinda...
Yeah, if I knew then when I first got the bug, what I know now that I've outgrown the bug, I'd have bought a lot more stuff. To think that items that people are paying top dollar for today were practically given away just 10 short years ago.

orangemazda
Approved Member

Post by orangemazda »

I'm torn, I keep coming back to this thread, trying to figure out what I want to do.

In one reguard, It would be very cool to own a re re original replica. However I never liked the narrow front arms and the kidney bean wheels...

So I'd almost be forced to swap out for the team car arms and wheels...

Then I think, if I don't buy a re re now, maybe AE will "see" not as much interest and not release a re re CE or team car? Not that my one purchace will swing the balance...but if several people think as I do, hmmmm....

At this point I'm more excited about the parts like other people have said.

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

I can't wait to receive mine. I plan on logging in here and asking "How much is it worth...?" :lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Coelacanth wrote:How many of you are gonna drill holes in your pans to decrease weight? :P
scr8p raises hand....

Chopping the sides down too. :wink:

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

im not sure who started but this seems like spill over from what they are saying over on rctech and my usual stomping ground, urc.

for the record i too have already back ordered one through tower.

i think the people who expected (and are now disappointed) some worlds or ce rc10 to convert into a old-is-new racer are missing the point. my opinion is that it would have been wrong to be that. i also think collecting these as some sort of investment is a mistake as well. ill be shelfing mine but only because i have rc10s to run, i want to enjoy looking at one that does not.

i was talking to a rc friend this morning, he has been around long enough that he did buy an original, and a few more besides. me? i wasnt even born yet (91) and didnt get into the hobby till 98-99. he put it pretty well, this is a chance for some of us to buy a newly released rc10.

they are being re-re'd for us to enjoy, lets enjoy them ;)

also, some food for thought, think about how many tamiyas and rc10's were sold bitd and think about what cars are selling the best right now. if i were gonna put money into a collectors car id buy a few nib slash 2wd's. in 20 years that'll be the cars to lust after.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

SRTracer121 wrote: also, some food for thought, think about how many tamiyas and rc10's were sold bitd and think about what cars are selling the best right now. if i were gonna put money into a collectors car id buy a few nib slash 2wd's. in 20 years that'll be the cars to lust after.

Not a chance. They sold so many of them it is not even funny and like other vintage Traxxas RC's, they will not pull in much $$.
Jeff

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

The reason why I preordered mine: I didn't get to build one back in the day. I got the Kyosho Ultima, and my best friend got the RC10. I always coveted his, and now I can build one. I have a very clean original Edinger for shelf purposes, and now I can have another I can modify/run with pleasure.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

SFC K wrote:
SRTracer121 wrote: also, some food for thought, think about how many tamiyas and rc10's were sold bitd and think about what cars are selling the best right now. if i were gonna put money into a collectors car id buy a few nib slash 2wd's. in 20 years that'll be the cars to lust after.

Not a chance. They sold so many of them it is not even funny and like other vintage Traxxas RC's, they will not pull in much $$.
I bet there were a lot more RC10s sold then there have been Slashes sold. 10 years ago you could pick up RC10s and spares for next to nothing. Nobody (except a few of us) was interested in them. That slowly changed and here we are.