Alloy grade of RC10 chassis ?

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Percymon
Approved Member

Alloy grade of RC10 chassis ?

Post by Percymon »

Does anyone know the type of alloy used on the gold and alter black alloy pan chassis / nose plates ?

I now have two used team car variants , so i will send one noseplate and tub for re-anodizing.

However, I'm cautious because earlier this year i sent a set of reasonable condition Kyosho gold shocks for reanodizing and they were ruined by the process (the fine screw threads of the shock caps and body were etched away). I was told 7000 series alloys often don't fair well in reanodizing (after the event !)

I obviously don't want a repeat experience with RC10 parts

I also have shock caps that I'd like reanodized as well - can anyone say what alloy grade these are ?

DMAT
Approved Member

Re: Alloy grade of RC10 chassis ?

Post by DMAT »

As many people that got stuff anodized here with out issue. I'd wonder if your anodizing guy just isnt up to par if your stuff is getting that damaged.

I really have no clue of the material though.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

as advertised by associated in a few places, the chassis and shocks are supposed to be 6061 T6, this goes for the gold pans and gold shocks. It get's muddy when you get to the later stuff, the 'worlds' chassis is called out to be either 7075 or 2023 and I don't know if anyone confirmed the exact alloy.

I had some ayk shocks burned up in the anodizing process, also a japanese company (like your kyoshos), it may be they use a particular alloy that doesn't reanodize well. some countries have region specific alloys, even though they are similar to industry standard.

judging from some of the projects from guys here, I would contact anyone who was really happy with the work to find that anodizer, who has already had some experience with these parts.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

I've seen great work posted by other member here from Don but I have no clue if he can take on the extra work but I'll eventually get to finding out.

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

Cheers guys

the guy i used had previously had good results with Kyoshos Optima shocks and chassis parts, so perhaps I was unlucky.

The other company leads i had for UK anodizers were rather negative - one didn't bother replying, the other wanted $140 (for 4 shocks) and even then wouldn't guarantee success.

I need to do more digging to find an answer to the alloy type