Hello from sunny California..

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

hondaman
Approved Member

Hello from sunny California..

Post by hondaman »

Hello,

I've been lurking on this site for about a year now and decided to sign up and join the community. I started in RC in the early to mid 80's with my Grasshopper. That was a great RC to have fun with. Bashed that around for a couple years before I moved on to my next RC. Over the years including my Grasshopper, I've collected a Tamiya Frog, a Blackfoot, a Fox, a Marui Samurai, Kyosho Double Dare (two of them), Losi JRX-2 (also 2 of these), and a Tamiya TL-01 Skyline. Decided to sell off a couple of these to fund my new projects though. The ones that are most sentimental to me will stay. :D

I got back into fixing my RC's again and decided to get one of the RC's I've always wanted, a Yokomo YZ-10, so I got 3 (2 in parts and one complete with vintage electronics). Now I have 2 870c's and a 93 Works. With all the info around here I have been studying up on these and am now in the process of getting parts for them to get them up and running and looking nice. I'll start a build thread in the Yoke forum soon to show my progress. 8)

I'm also looking to pick up an RC10 too even though I hated those damn bathtub shin crushers BITD. After all these years they have grown on me. Now I am looking forward to picking one up and seeing what I can do with one. Maybe I'll go with a graphite one instead. Who knows. It will probably be both or more. Oh well. But it is fun to build them. :roll:

I look forward to being a part of this community. :mrgreen:

Shawn

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Hello from sunny California..

Post by Coelacanth »

hondaman wrote:Decided to sell off a couple of these to fund my new projects though. The ones that are most sentimental to me will stay. :D
Welcome to the forum, Shawn...so which ones were the keepers? :wink:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Thanks for the welcome. Well the keepers are going to be the Frog and Blackfoot (I have a soft spot for the ORV chassis Tamiya's), the Fox, The JRX-2's, and of course the Yokes. I gave my Grasshopper to my nephew so it went to a good home and will hopefully give him the same fun I had with it. I've already just sold the TL-01 yesterday on Ebay. That will help fund the Yokes along with the Double Dares and Samurai I have which will go up next week or so. Had my fun with them so off they go to someone else to enjoy. 8)

I've seen a couple of your builds Coelacanth and I have to say that they came out great. The custom work you put into them was amazing. I really like your Optima's and they almost got me to buy one for myself until the Yokes came to me. May take the plunge and grab one for myself later. :wink:

Shawn

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

nice pick of cars .. i love the yz10 .. i did have alot into mine before i got out .. too bad i cant rember what happend to it

so your into hondas as well ?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Thanks for the compliments! Well, you can soup up a Yoke just as well as an Optima, some of the alloy front end parts between the two are quite similar. I don't know much about Yokomos but some of the Team Suzuki alloy parts look like they'd almost bolt right on to an Optima...and they're beautiful parts.

I would've kept the Samurai, myself. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Thanks integra22t. The YZ-10 was a car I liked from the get go. I saw one at a local track and drooled. Liked everything about them and they were quick. Wanted one then but way too expensive for me to buy new.

Been into Hondas since I turned 16. Used to be in Drag Racing business for about 15 years. I can truly say I got to see the current Honda phenomenon begin. The first event I worked was in 1991 at LACR in Palmdale, CA. My first car was an 86 Civic Si I got when I was 16. Still have it too. Just sitting collecting dust. Need to get it cleaned up again but space is a problem. Need a bigger place for my cars. I have a 73 240Z as well but that doesn't run. I guess that's why I got back into RC's. Little cars take up less space! :lol: Currently I drive a S2000 AP1. Just love taking it to 9000 RPM with the top down. Looks like you got yourself a nice DC2 based on your avatar.

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

@Coelacanth: I've read about the Optima parts interchangeability with the Yokes. Had me thinking as I am going to make one of the 870c's more of a runner. Would be nice to do since the mag stuff is brittle. One of my motor mounts has the end tab broken off. Have the front and rear RPM bulkheads for one of the cars but I have to say that someone over there at RPM forgot where these things run. The front of the bulkhead is totally open so all kinds of dirt can get in. Would do wonders to the belt. :roll: I also read about the Tamiya stuff working too. Going to check that out since the Tamiya stuff is so easy to find so spares for a runner would be better.

I am still thinking about keeping the Samurai after I saw the white one on here when I was looking for replacement parts for it. I keep being indecisive with that one. We'll see though. I made my mind up about the Double Dare's though. Not into the monster truck thing anymore. 8)

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

for the front of the bulkhead i put a pice of lexan over it to keep the dirt out after i learned that belts and rocks dont like eack other

i uae to be a v8 guy till i drove a honda back in 97 and have been honda sence

my first car was a 78 civic thats long gone but ive got a nice h22 swaped integra with mugen parts .. oh and a s2000 exhust system under it ;)

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

I was thinking the same thing about putting a piece of lexan over the front of the RPM bulkhead in the front. Just think that it was dumb of them to not have that in the first place. Oh well.

I still am a V8 guy at heart. I put together a 1955 Ford F100 for my older brother. That was so much fun and simple. I still have a 1969 Camaro sitting in my Dad's garage that is begging to be reborn. But that is a huge long term project. Just don't have the extra cash for it yet.

I have noticed more of the H-swaps lately. I remember when the H2B kits were being developed. Those seem to be more common now. Seeing. How far the secene has come is really interesting coming from where it was when I turned 16. Ah tha stories about the Toyotas, Nissans, and Mazdas BITD. Takes me back. I still remember the hot set up for Hondas were cams, header, exhaust, and a set of dual Mikunis were high end. If you were rich then you had a HKS turbo kit or nitrous. Now its all changed like rc's. I have to study up on brushless and lipos now. :lol: