New Vintage RC Guy from Sunny Tropical Malaysia

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

Hi everyone, names Rama and I am from Malaysia. Some of you may already know me from other forums, youtube or ebay.
I was born in 1976, and will be turning 38 this march 11th. I started with hobby grade RC cars in early 1990 when I bought a beat up Tamiya Boomerang with a sanwa dash stick radio. The boomerang was missing its body and front gearbox internals. But having a Tamiya was a big deal to me, considering I only owned toy grade rc cars before that. I really had fun with that Boomerang , and got to know more RCers. A guy told me a LWB optima mid was for sale cheap, and I promptly bought one. I only saw Kyoshos and Yokomos in magazines in 1989 and one ad in RC car action showing the Optima mid and Turbo Optima Mid SE painted half white and half yellow was what hooked me on the Mid. So in late 1990 I scrimped and saved with a friend of mine and we bought a used Optima Mid Custom. Then my brother bought a used Turbo Optima Mid. The funny thing was we couldn't afford radio gear so we bought the cars first and learnt about the mechanicals. Suffice to say when I did run the Mid I had even more fun with it, and did some pretty stupid things like attaching a 13 turn modified to the Mechanical Speed Controller, well which caused the MSC to meltdown. In 1993 I bought a used Lazer ZX.
All these cars I still have until today, except the boomerang.
In 1997 I quit toying around with my mids and went to touring cars. I got the Vintage Offroad bug back in 2011 and here I am again. I rebuilt my optima Mid custom with numerous period mods and modern parts as well as my own designed parts. I am trying to get the Mid to be competitive against modern cars, its been an uphill battle but I feel I am getting there.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Re: New Vintage RC Guy from Sunny Tropical Malaysia

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Welcome to the forum,Don

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

Assalamu alaikum,welcome sir, nice to hear stories of how guys started out,i also started around the same time,but with a Grasshopper,sad to say that how much i mod it to be competitive it just dont drive well enough to race it,so ended up selling it and getting a hoshots II,well you know the the results so ending up with a optima mid CS which happily stayed till i got my losi and Rc10,then the rest is history! Hahahah welcome to the addiction!!!!

Sent from my Nokia Star Tac using Tapatalk
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

JPAE07
Approved Member

Post by JPAE07 »

Welcome!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Welcome to the forum! As an Optima fan, I'm looking forward to pictures of your cars and rebuild projects! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

Coelacanth wrote:Welcome to the forum! As an Optima fan, I'm looking forward to pictures of your cars and rebuild projects! 8)
You are legendary my friend . Your obsession with blue alloy and your creations are one of a kind and top notch too.

SONYtec

Post by SONYtec »

Welcome!!!

Post some pictures.

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

SONYtec wrote:Welcome!!!

Post some pictures.
I have! In the kyosho section.

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

slow_jun wrote:Assalamu alaikum,welcome sir, nice to hear stories of how guys started out,i also started around the same time,but with a Grasshopper,sad to say that how much i mod it to be competitive it just dont drive well enough to race it,so ended up selling it and getting a hoshots II,well you know the the results so ending up with a optima mid CS which happily stayed till i got my losi and Rc10,then the rest is history! Hahahah welcome to the addiction!!!!

Sent from my Nokia Star Tac using Tapatalk
If you are coming to malaysia look me up.