My first Yokomo restoration

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

trailblazer04
Approved Member

My first Yokomo restoration

Post by trailblazer04 »

This will be my 1st Yokomo restoration. Can anyone help identify what model/year this car is. Also it looks pretty complete but I am thinking it requires some battery hold down pieces, am I correct?

Thank you
Attachments
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG

Jirka
Approved Member

Re: My first Yokomo restoration

Post by Jirka »

it's a 870c from 1988 with some hopup parts: Jammin top deck, unknown (for me) white rear arms, titanuim Lunsford or RCPS links (they looks the same), AE shocks, one way spur adapter & a good spur gear and finally "correctly" mounted rear wing mounts. It surely has been a race car with some "better than average" racer with those mods and electronoics that is has. You really have a nice car there!

Jirka

EDIT: Manual can be found here: http://www.oople.com/rc/manuals/yz870c/imagepages/yz870c001.html
EDIT2: typo

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

X2

But if u look at the 870 manual the wing mounts are actually mounted the wrong way around. On the Early 870 you mount them on the inside if the shock tower and the wing wire curls around to the rear then u mount the wing. This setup changed in later models but really its no biggy, only if you want to replicate the original.

Looks like it will come up real nice with a bit of work.

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

I do meant that the wing mounts are installed behind rear shock tower not front of it so that wing wires do not have to turn about 179 degrees.

Jirka

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Oh and before i forget and to save you ALOT of time...try using a dremel with a soft disc wire brush to get the grime off your magnesium parts...i do it and they come up like new...! Very shiny and without the hard work...bit dusty so i'd wear a face mask.

I think they are are RC10 gold shocks? I could be mistaken?

Cant wait to see your results.

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Hey Jirka, yeah true i was just highlighting if it was to be a rebuild like the original was all. I only have one of my YZ's like the original wing mount setup as your right coming out the rear looks better especially with newer wings.

trailblazer04
Approved Member

Post by trailblazer04 »

Thank you to all. That is some great information and that's what I like most about this forum. I have started taking the car apart and I think it will clean up real nice. I will post progress pics in a couple of days.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I'm hoping toget going on a similar project soon. Many many variations on the yz10 and 870c cars. Yours has some different parts and is looking really complete.

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Thats a good thing about the early yz's you can set them up in so many different ways. I guess you can put your own personal stamp on the car or go for the standard stock setup. Only problem is once you do them up or rebuild them you may be reluctant to run it! Which is shame for a car that runs so well.

Personally i like to run them all, albeit not too hard and mostly on surfaces that wont damage the setup for the newer builds, always good to have a runner where you set it up with not so new bits n pieces and go harder! They deserve it and can handle it and as stickboy has shown are more then a match for newer cars.

trailblazer04
Approved Member

Post by trailblazer04 »

I have made some progress on this restoration. Does anyone know if the peroxide/UV works on Yokomo parts?
Attachments
IMG_0298.JPG

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Certainly does! I will put a before and after shot when i get on my lappy. In the sun in a clear glass jar works the best..some bits seem to work better then others although yours look ok already?

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

The peroxide works great.. I put multiple parts in a glass jar and set it in the sun for two days.. I was a bit worried to leave the part in the jar over night so i pulled them out at night and rinsed them them stuck them back in the jar when I got up.. the parts were fine and a nice clean white color..

Shawn

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Those rear arms look like they might be delrin. The only place/company I know of that has done delrin arms is Dynotech Racing, although I was never aware of them making arms for the 870c. They did arms for the Works YZ10 and the '94 for sure, though...

Your missing battery straps are part number ZC119. They are extremely hard to find, and I myself have been looking for an original set for my '91 Works restoration. I have so far managed to find some JG Racing lightweight battery straps (link: http://www.johnshobbiesandcrafts.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1561). There are still a few in stock if you would like to go that route. Or you can cut your own from a carbon fiber or G10 plate, which is what I did for my 870 runner.

A word of caution about the rear shock tower. I have my shocks mounted on the outermost hole, which leaves the inner holes empty. This is a structural weak spot on these towers and I ended up breaking one on a bad landing. You can of course order as many repro spares as you want from Fibre-Lyte, but regardless, if you know for sure which hole you want to use and do not intend on changing that, and if you intend on running this one, then I'd recommend filling the other two holes with epoxy to strengthen the tower. Not aesthetically pleasing, but it gets the job done.

Indeed you do seem to have a very nice example here. Well done! If you're looking for some pointers, I made a posting with a list of my 870c youtube videos --> http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=33915

trailblazer04
Approved Member

Post by trailblazer04 »

I replaced the rear arms with correct Yokomo arms but yes the white ones appear to be delron and I have not seen them before either. Thank you for the heads up on the shock towers, I had not decided how to run the shock placement so I appreciate your comments. I have another 870 that I plan on restoring just as a shelf queen.

Justjoe
Approved Member

Post by Justjoe »

Yokomo did make white arms for the 870C (ZC-407C). I have a set on my original 870. They are molded and look just like the black arms. There is a set on Ebay now, i have heard that they were developed for cold weather and less prone to breakage than the black arms (there was a thread on this site with that info). The arms that are made by Dynotech are made of nylon, the only delrin arms I have ever seen were the ones for the dukemo, but there are alot of one off pieces out there.
USAF Retired
870C, Works 91, YR4-M2 Pro, RC10 Graphite, RC10 Carbon fiber tub
Old Skool RC10 Gold pan, RC10DS, Traxxas REVO