leisure 05 motors

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

leisure 05 motors

Post by GoMachV »

Just snagged a couple never run leisure motors. I know they did air and land, anyone have any info on these? One is a stock motor with "sagami" on the end bell, and the mod is blank.

Just trying to get an idea of what era car they belong in. I show them in the 1985 Hobby Shack catalog but not sure how far back they go

Just received another wacky version...interesting end bell, looks almost like an astro-flite

It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

V12
Approved Member

Re: leisure 05 motors

Post by V12 »

The stock motor looks exactly like the first Yokomo motor introduced in 1982, beside the endbell says not Yokomo as usually but Sagami. There is nothing wrong with this as Sagami was making the Yokomo motors but I never have seen this before, at least I can´t remember this.
The modified motor I think will be maybe not a real modified but a machine modified but for knowing exactly you have to disassemble the motor. I just can see Japan at the endbell but I think this again is a Sagami can, of different series. Some motors of Demon Products UK and early LRP motors were based on this can series also. One of the cans had a red aluminium frontplate looking similar to this motor but it was not good as the magnets were very weak. Another version looking quite the same but using a onepiece steel can had very good magnets and thick can wall and was one of Demon´s very best motors.

I have to go through my motor collection, maybe I have one of these still laying here. Overall I have to say these are not the early Leisure motors. One of their best vintage motors sold in about 1980 was based on the 2nd generation AYK motor. I try posting a picture in the next days.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Good info! From my reading it sounds like Sagami made motors for a lot of manufacturers bitd.

I know they aren't very desirable but the fact they were brand new I couldn't turn them down. I'll pop the mod apart and post up some pics.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Yes Sagami was making a lot of cans and complete motors which were sold with different labels afterwards. Most known are Yokomo, Reedy, Orion, GM-Racing, Corally and others but some of these brands also were selling motors based on other origin than Sagami. I think you won´t find much motors labeled as Sagami.

I don´t tink these Leisure motors are not desirable. I have not seen really much Leisure motors until now, most of them being Igarashi based but these newer ones I never saw before. The modified motor is maybe not the most advanced motor but this type of can should be very rare today. I like the sticker on the stock motor, it is looking a little like the old Igarashi based Leisure motors beside the colour. These were using white background.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Thanks for the info! Forgot i had another so i added it to the first post. Its the closed endbell variety which I prefer.
Factory Works website

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

The white one is the oldest of the Leisure motors.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Updated with another wacky variation
Factory Works website

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

The "wacky" Leisure motor actually is an AYK GZ1200R, made in 1980. More informations could be found at Classic RC, look for AYK motors.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Thank you, I will check it out!
Factory Works website

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

And a couple more for the collection....

Aluminum on the pinion side but plastic on the endbell
Factory Works website

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

Cool loking motors, good its got aluminum at least on one side, better heat dissipation but the back where the brushes are gets the most heated up, which they had aluminum backs as opposed to plastic ones. AND couldn't these motors have internal fans?? for better cooling!

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

The motor with the aluminium front plate reminds me of a certain Demon motor. Do you have a picture showing the bearing side of the endbell?

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Another Sagami arrived today 8)

Factory Works website