RC car museum exhibition – Norway. New go from page 4!

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LurkingCAT

Re: Vintage RC car museum exhibition – Norway

Post by LurkingCAT »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Is there a virtual tour available? :idea:
Not any more, there was a virtual tour (at least sort of) on the museum site the first month. This is the place most pictures are available.

LurkingCAT

RC car museum exhibition – Norway. New go!

Post by LurkingCAT »

This museum display has sort of faded away from my mind a bit, although from time to time I get a bit frustrated that a few of my cars have been "locked up" in the museum for almost two years now. Last time was the running up to the NVC (Nordic Vintage Challenge) February this year. I really wanted to drive a Hot Trick Fox as I used to race this car round -86/87. It was called the "Pensel Fox" as my nick was Pensel and the only one in Norway at the time owning one. Since my built one, intended as a runner, was in the museum I had to go for a new build that I didn't get on the track before the race day... (Couple of pics of it down this thread: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=31649)

When this exhibit was finally happening back in 2012 I also had to take some of the cars through short turns to get things finished - there was a LOT of work. And the cars were just responsible for a fraction of the time spent (a bit of this described in the first post). I really "need" some of these cars to finish off projects I have at home, but I haven't really managed to call it back as long as the museum wanted to keep the exhibit.

Then last couple of days things seems to change. Another museum now want to borrow the exhibit for a few months this summer. I told the Norwegian Museum of Science and Technology that someone else wanted to borrow it and arranged to take it down in the near future (maybe April). I will have to make some new short cuts to get to change some things for the summer.

Last time I didn't get the ayk Radiant in so this will be my first project while waiting to take the displays down. Also I should get two 1/8 track cars ready. A Carlsson Comet and a RC500, as the two I had along, Carlsson Pro 80 and SG Columbia MkII, I borrowed. I will try to post whatever I get done on here as I go along.

See ya :wink:

V12
Approved Member

Re: Vintage RC car museum exhibition – Norway

Post by V12 »

LurkingCAT wrote:To a certain extent the history of Norwegian 1:12 is Swedish (Mirage, Minicars and Carlsson). In the first national champs in 1981 eighteen of the nineteen top of the list were Swedish cars. One RC12E managed to make it's way in on 13th… The Swedish dominance lasted to RC12I.

The cars in this display are Mirage 12 (1979) and Mirage T (1981).
Got a Minicars XII box and a few parts for the Minicars and Mirage but far away from complete cars.
Attachments
minicars box.jpg

LurkingCAT

Re: RC car museum exhibition – Norway. New go!

Post by LurkingCAT »

Minicars XII Comp - very nice! Actually the best result this car has achived was in the hands of a norwegian called Terje Haugen. He came third in the European championship in 1982, London. In the race report in "Model Cars" it says he was driving a Bolink Challenger, but it was a Minicars XII Comp. What is true is that Bolink Challenger was very much a Minicars XII with three cells along each side of the car (see this topic: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5283). The XII Competition had the standard stick pack configuration.

At that time Per Gustavsson, the owner of Minicars, sold the moulds and tooling to Bob Rule of Bolink Industries and they made the Challenger. Therefore the Challenger had it's layout and many of the parts from the XII. Same story for the early Bolink Diggers - basically a scaled up Challenger with an elongated chassis, wider rear axle and offroad tires. To increase the ground clearance they fitted the steering blocks underslung...

That box would have made a nice display!

hibernaculum
Approved Member

Re: RC car museum exhibition – Norway. New go!

Post by hibernaculum »

I didn't know that about the early Bolink Digger, thanks for the info.
Btw, where can I buy that Micro Racing Dune Buggy? :)

H.

LurkingCAT

Re: RC car museum exhibition – Norway. New go on page 4!

Post by LurkingCAT »

At last I'll try to follow up on this one... As mentioned in a post above this exhibit was going to be moved. It did, and the new opening took place on the 24. of August. This time I also did some redesign of the exhibit. Some new features, a few new cars and some cars were taken out. Various info on the background is found on page 1.

The first location was the Norwegian Museum of Science and Technology in Oslo (Capital of Norway). So before the new opening all the stuff had to be moved from this place.
Norsk Teknisk Museum.jpg
To this place - about 250 km away.
VTM.jpg
My little brother, eldest son and I started on the big move... First packing it all and loading the displays in the car.
On the move 1.jpg
On the move 2.jpg
Arriving some hours later at the new location.
On the move 3.jpg
On the move 4.jpg
Soon to be continued.

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

The former displays sort of in place.
Installing displays 1.jpg
Also got to borrow a couple of new ones.
Installing displays a.jpg
Then the mounting of the dirt track and the jump.
Installing displays, dirt track.jpg
Installing displays, jump.jpg

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

According to the museum staff in Oslo the exhibit was having a narrative understandable to the public. What I found as a weakness is the static nature of a display. The best way to make People get the feel of what RC-cars are all about would of course be to let them drive. The problem is to get space for a track, maintenance and human resources needed. To get some hands on activity the "solution" for now was to make a virtual RC experience - computer, screen, Futaba 4PL and VRC Pro. It's become a great success especially for School classes!

One, two
VRC 1.jpg
and three... On the left one can see the screen showing vintage RC films from Norway - 1:8 OR from 1982, 1:8 Track (Nationals) from 1985 and Tamiya Cup from 1987. The Tamiya Cup film has an interesting anecdote to it as the winner of the Cup in Norway 1987 was Petter Solberg - the later rally world champion (2003).
VRC 2.jpg
Also some mockups for new posters.
Poster mockup.jpg

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

No exhibit without any objects... So lets pretend everything is ready to put on display. Here you have some of the cars on the conveyor to the limlight.

Sort of restored ayk Sidewinder
Car, ayk Sidewinder.jpg
Kyoshos first electric off roader - Eleck Peanuts (never run)
Car, Eleck Peanut.jpg
Mardave 1:12 from 1977 with little run time
Car, Mardave 1 12.jpg
A lightly restored Killer (Fox copy). On some detail work it exceeds the role model - I think. Take at look at that rear tube frame!
Car, Killer 1.jpg
Car, Killer 2.jpg
One of Maruis martial artists
Car, Ninja.jpg
Another "killer" - the XR311
Car, XR 311 1.jpg
Car, XR 311 2.jpg

Tomas Karlsson
Approved Member

Post by Tomas Karlsson »

I love this my friend! Your collection and how you displaying it is awesome!

This makes me happy!

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Hi Tomas! Thank you for the kind words :D Since you're the father of the Nordic Vintage Challenge I can tell you that now finally there is a bit of time to make ready some cars for the January race. And progress progress! First NVC I got one car ready, second two, and now I think I'll get three cars on the line.

Looking very much forward to see you in Eskilstuna!

Cheers
David

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Getting enthusiastic help organizing the final setup.
Getting the cars in place.jpg
There are many regrets from selling my old cars and equipment. Fortunately I didn't sell it all - this is one of them. PK Corally tweak board from 1987 (also had the first Corally stick pack car, stiil bleeding from passing it on...).
Car on display, PK Corally Tweak board.jpg
Same setup as in Oslo. New built RC12L (fiberglass) on the tweak board.
Car on display, 12L on tweak board.jpg
I'm just SO happy I didn't sell my C Car SPC (saddel pack). Sold my stick pack version to a school mate some time after I bought the SPC, and with that for some strange reason the box for the SPC. This must have been round 1989. Contacted the guy three years ago to see if he still had it. He had sold the car and kept the box. I don't think he's EVER seen a person getting that thrilled over a cardboard box.

So one of my absolutely most valued treasures - the SPC and THE BOX for it. Bought new by me when the SPC arrived in Norway. The box is not in display this time but you can sort of see it in the former exhibit on page 2 (to the right of the 12L down the page). The unpretentious apperance of the SPC and early CAT boxes had (and has) a great appeal. Avatar 8)
Car on display, C Car 1.jpg
Group of RC12E, 12L and C Car
Car on display, 12E, 12L, C Car.jpg
Attachments
Car on display, C Car 2.jpg

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Nice pictures. Are there close up pictures of Mirage cars? Really like them.

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

V12 wrote:Nice pictures. Are there close up pictures of Mirage cars? Really like them.
Thanks! Sorry I don't have any good pictures of the Mirages for now. What I have is a similar setup as earlier with both the Mirage 12 (Corvette) and the newer Mirage T (a true Slotcar Production). A BIG difference now you can see in the box - a Sping motor! See you've also got one on your web page. Hope to use the Sping in a future replica of the Minicars XII Comp that Terje Haugen (Norwegian fellow) used in the 1982 Euros, and got 3. place.
Car on display, Race box 1.2.jpg
Car on display, Race box 1.jpg
Car on display, Race box 2.jpg

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Sorry for the terrible reflections on these pictures. When I got nearly finished museum staff was waiting to help me getting the glasses into place, so not much time to take pictures without. BTW I got lots of help from the museums in both ends on practical matters - quite a few things needed attention.

The jump ready - group of a jumping Frog, the Killer, The Fox (the role model of the Killer) and a Galaxy.
Car on display, Jump, Frog, Killer, Galaxy, Fox.jpg
Closeup of a star - the Marui Galaxy.
Car on display, Galaxy.jpg
Down to the beach - new built Wild One in a Batties bag and a draped Bolink T-shirt. In the background the Columbia Mk II.
Car on display, Wild One.jpg
The Bigwig - Takuya Yuras brainchild. Takuya Yura of Mooncraft Co., Ltd was assigned to design this outstanding looking car to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Taimya's RC car production in 1986.
Car on display, Bigwig.jpg
Group of Porsche 934, 959 and a Hot Trick converted Fox - Red Fox.
Car on display, 934, 959, Red Fox.jpg