losi guru's apply

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GJW
Approved Member

losi guru's apply

Post by GJW »

im curious about a few parts on my losi cars the chassis and rear shock tower on the jrx2 look after market and the chassis on the pro did they come out without a slot for the servo saver pics attached
Attachments
144_4414.JPG
144_4414.JPG (150.63 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
144_4414.JPG
144_4414.JPG (150.63 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
144_4415.JPG
144_4415.JPG (162.19 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
144_4415.JPG
144_4415.JPG (162.19 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
144_4413.JPG
144_4413.JPG (142.71 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
144_4413.JPG
144_4413.JPG (142.71 KiB) Viewed 1710 times

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: losi guru's apply

Post by aconsola »

The jrx-pro and jrx-T used the same shape/wheelbase chassis. The T originally came without the slot in the chassis for the servo saver. It was a running change. I thought it started when they came out with the pro, but it is possible that the early pros did not have the slot, however it is more likely that you have a truck chassis that was converted to a pro as the pro manual shows the slot, so I would expect them all to have it.

That jrx-2 is a very early one. The rear shock tower has no holes, the lower link has only 2 mount holes and does not have the vertical reinforcement rib. your upper links also appear to be the 4-rib variety instead of the 3. Your shocks also have the early, fragile, spring clamps. I have seen some of the chassis plates that seem to have more of a pattern/texture to them, so I do not think that it is aftermarket, just early production.
take a look here: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3171 To see some of the ink variations side by side.
-Anthony

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

That old rear shock tower is calling out for flat head countersunk screws instead of button heads in the top, too. ;)

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

thats all great news besides the truck chassis.. thanks for the help gentlemen- is there anything we dont know

bgruen
Approved Member

Post by bgruen »

The original JRX-2 bellcrank Incorporated a vertical piece of plastic that would flex as a servo saver. This proved to be an inadequate solution so Losi popped a top plate on it taking out the servo saver action (like on your Pro). People were then forced to use the small Kimbrough servo saver to protect their servos, but if you look at the length of the bell crank arm you will soon see that the small Kimbrough servo saver would not have the throw to move the front wheels to their maximums. The choice left to the owner was drill the chassis for servo mounts and raise the servo off the chassis plate, or cut a window for the big servo save to hang through. Eventually Losi incorporated this into the design.

Bob
Writer, producer, and director of The Hobby Stop:

Available on:
  • Amazon
  • iTunes
  • Google Play
  • YouTube Movies
  • Microsoft Store / X-Box

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

First time poster here.

It looks you guys hit the nail on the head.

I purchased one of the JR-X2 Pro Formance kits when they first came out. About a week later, I purchased a jrxt. Both chassis did not have the slot. The slot became standard when the jrx pro was introduced because that kit required the use of an after market servo saver. The flexible saver/bellcrank was replaced by the red non-flexible bell crank.

I agree that the shock tower was from an early jrx2. My buddy received one of the first kits and his had the solid rear shock tower (no holes), aluminum yoke spacer, tiny thrust bearing, light orange wheels, non jrx2 stamped motor plate and the non-jrx2 body.

Regards,
Roger
(highwayracer)

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

I have sold a number of these early chassis and still have a few left. The are NIB and perfect. The headers read JRX2 and also have the notation for Car/truck.

The Pro-formance upgrade kit was released with the chassis having no slots what so ever in the chassis. I also distinctly remember the first Pro kits to hit the country here in Australia not having the slot in the chassis either. It was only a few months later when the second lot of kits arrived here that the slot was in the chassis. I remember using my trusty ARLEC (Cheap dremel) to remove material from the non slotted chassis on my Pro so that the big Kimbrough could be used. I just removed enough material for it to not hit - kind of like countersinking.

Either way Gary - that car of yours looks super slick! Your car is pretty much period correct with the exception of the rear shock tower - but you have been told that already. :shock:

Kind of worked out well for you having the early chassis - as it matches alot of the early production parts you have on the car. ....great job mate.

Cheers

Darryn Johnson

P.S - if anyone wants one of the NIB chassis like the ones here - please PM me - I have a few left. (Sorry Gary - not wanting to hijack your thread mate)
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

thanks very much for the kind words daz and for the chassis of coarse my main man..... welcome to rc10talk roger i knew you would be a very worthy addition to this forum just bought a jrx-pro.se off this man and cant wait to open that box... looks like im now chasing the early lt orange wheels for the jrx2 to keep her all early release like... still after parts for my pro to finish it also who wants my money? any takers or early chrissy present works for me im such a top bloke

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

what parts do you need for the pro? all I can see missing in the limited shot is the front bumper. I don't have any extra of those, just opened my last one a couple weeks ago for my pro build.

Good info on the pro-formance kit, I forgot about those.

RocketRob

Post by RocketRob »

marui hunter 73 wrote:im curious about a few parts on my losi cars the chassis and rear shock tower on the jrx2 look after market and the chassis on the pro did they come out without a slot for the servo saver
I know this was long-closed, but I'm new here and couldn't resist the temptation to chime in. :lol:

The rear shock tower is stock, someone's just used the wrong screws to install it.

I raced for Losi back in the day and was involved with a lot of these chassis issues:
1) the original JRX2 was designed on the same wheelbase as all the other current cars on the market - RC10, Ultima, etc. - so the car fit "the box" used for specing cars in tech inspection at the major ROAR and IFMAR races.
2) the JRX-T came out - was the FIRST raceable truck on the market, as a result of everyone taking their current 2wd buggies and buying tamaiya wheel adaptors and a bolink or parma truck body and going racing - and our testing showed us that the stock jrx2 wheelbase was too short to optimally work with the larger truck wheels/tires. So we lengthened the chassis. We also incorporated a taller front shock tower and used rear shocks on the front end, needed because of the bigger wheels/tire combo.
3) the extended chassis worked so well some of us took them and converted our buggies to the longer wheelbase, of the truck, and as a result the JRX-Pro was born and came out on the market. The other supposed "trick" at the time was to put longer rear shocks on the front of the car - and since we had that going on the jrx-t we carried all the parts over to the pro basically only changing out wheels and body.

The reason for the "slot" in the chassis, I was to blame, was to make room for a larger servo saver. Back then the servos on the market weren't the greatest, and to make the truck work (and get the wheels to turn on command) most of us generally ran a huge kimrough servosaver to enable our servos to have a long enough throw. And to fit the servosaver without it rubbing the chassis we had to cut a slot. These weren't done on all production pieces, but some of them - and usually just the jrx-t, but some slipped through on the pro's (I know I used one).

All of the losi factory carbon fiber chassis plates were smooth, with no texture or visible pattern. If you have a plate with a texture or pattern it's likely an aftermarket model, as there were several companies in the chassis plate biz back then (composite craft for one).