MIP Help...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Re: MIP Help...

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Who doesn't need a white gearbox? :roll:

I have a ton of the black ones if that'd suit....

I'll be making a list of all my spares tonight.

Anyone else need anything?

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Ron - you don't need the whole front gearbox mate - I sent you all the gear etc.......you just need the casing. Seeing that your gearbox is black - perhaps one of the docs would suffice?

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

asashaw
Approved Member

Post by asashaw »

i dont think the one way gear from the cable drive kit will fit in the black chain drive case (the chain drive uses a ball diff with a smaller gear). has anyone ever tried to fit this?

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

asashaw wrote:i dont think the one way gear from the cable drive kit will fit in the black chain drive case (the chain drive uses a ball diff with a smaller gear). has anyone ever tried to fit this?
I have and it all fits, the front top shaft (both 15T 48P) and diff gear sizes (forgotten :oops: ) are the same on the cable drive parts (white casing one way diff.) and the chain/belt parts (black casing, ball diff.).

asashaw
Approved Member

Post by asashaw »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:
asashaw wrote:i dont think the one way gear from the cable drive kit will fit in the black chain drive case (the chain drive uses a ball diff with a smaller gear). has anyone ever tried to fit this?
I have and it all fits, the front top shaft (both 15T 48P) and diff gear sizes (forgotten :oops: ) are the same on the cable drive parts (white casing one way diff.) and the chain/belt parts (black casing, ball diff.).
as i hold them in my hand the one way diff APPEARS bigger, but I counted and you are right. they both have 30 teeth. so then I looked at the gearboxes and the insides look exactly the same so... my hats off to you, you are correct!

ANOTHER IDEA:

Could you use an sp-1 tranny (chain drive) with two top shafts (instead of the special middle shaft for the chain conversion kit's pulley) for a cable drive system? The top shafts have the threaded end for receiving the gear screw, or... possibly the speedo cable from the cable drive?

toybaron
Approved Member

Post by toybaron »

I am trying to keep as stock as possible but no issue with a black front case as I have the 400 transmission in black already...Ed, can you set aside a black gear case for me until you get the rest of your spares list together? then we'll make something work out...

Thanks,

Ron

(ps, still no package with the transmission parts)

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

asashaw wrote:Could you use an sp-1 tranny (chain drive) with two top shafts (instead of the special middle shaft for the chain conversion kit's pulley) for a cable drive system? The top shafts have the threaded end for receiving the gear screw, or... possibly the speedo cable from the cable drive?
I am not entirely sure what you mean, but...a top shaft has a threaded hole for screwing on the spur gear/spur holder and a small pin (~1mm) for locating/driving the spur gear holder.

-A cable drive system uses a square ended cable which needs a shaft with a square hole broached into it where that threaded hole is now. So they won't fit together.
-A chin drive pulley won't work on the top shaft either as they are either to long or to short (I can't remember which) and the 3mm grub screw in the chain pulley won't go through the ~1mm hole on the top shaft.

So no that won't work. I take it you are missing the correct parts so I will take pics when I have time, to show what is needed...
toybaron wrote: (ps, still no package with the transmission parts)
This is very strange, but I have managed to get to the post office and am filling in a form so they can trace it and then they'll try and find it. Pm sent.

asashaw
Approved Member

Post by asashaw »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:
asashaw wrote:Could you use an sp-1 tranny (chain drive) with two top shafts (instead of the special middle shaft for the chain conversion kit's pulley) for a cable drive system? The top shafts have the threaded end for receiving the gear screw, or... possibly the speedo cable from the cable drive?
I am not entirely sure what you mean, but...a top shaft has a threaded hole for screwing on the spur gear/spur holder and a small pin (~1mm) for locating/driving the spur gear holder.

-A cable drive system uses a square ended cable which needs a shaft with a square hole broached into it where that threaded hole is now. So they won't fit together.
-A chin drive pulley won't work on the top shaft either as they are either to long or to short (I can't remember which) and the 3mm grub screw in the chain pulley won't go through the ~1mm hole on the top shaft.

This is very strange, but I have managed to get to the post office and am filling in a form so they can trace it and then they'll try and find it. Pm sent.

ok I understand about how the cable mounts now. I have a NIP 4-400 kit. no need to take pictures. I was trying to use a later sp-1 to drive a cable system, stupid idea anyways... NEVERMIND

However, you can use the top shaft to replace the chain pulley shaft, you just have to drill out the hole in the shaft to fit the grub screw from the pulley, (and shorten the shaft if you WANT TO with a dremel). It works, I have done this plenty of times before.

And as a final note... see what I mean about the MAIL!

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

asashaw wrote:ok I understand about how the cable mounts now. I have a NIP 4-400 kit. no need to take pictures. I was trying to use a later sp-1 to drive a cable system, stupid idea anyways... NEVERMIND

However, you can use the top shaft to replace the chain pulley shaft, you just have to drill out the hole in the shaft to fit the grub screw from the pulley, (and shorten the shaft if you WANT TO with a dremel). It works, I have done this plenty of times before.

And as a final note... see what I mean about the MAIL!
I don't think the gearbox would be a problem. But do you have all the parts in the 4-400 kit? I don't know what's included but do you have the rear output shaft and the flange for the cable outer to attach to the rear gearbox? Part numbers escape me at the moment. You see all my kits are made from parts pieced together...

As for the mail I probably jinxed myself with it saying it was good the other day :shock:

BTW because of work I haven't had time to go through the parts yet sorry. I have about 10 kits now in loose and NIB parts so it might take a while. Sorry. :oops: