RPM Ultra Chassis eBay pick up

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dave00beer
Approved Member

Re: RPM Ultra Chassis eBay pick up

Post by dave00beer »

jwscab wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:31 am Yes tecnacraft. Looks great!
Thanks!
Got them all around, except the servo rod.

sandkil
Approved Member

Post by sandkil »

So good seeing a classic build.
All those refurbished parts all coming together forming a beautiful RPM RC10.

Excellent work!

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Had some more free time yesterday, was able to get this basically finished.

I did re-dye the chassis again, as it had some lighter spots on it. For the most part all the parts look pretty damn good, there is however some lighter blueish/purple color that I didn't notice, Until I started the assembly, on the top of the rear bulkhead mounts (little hockey stick looking things) and also a light area on the top of front bulkhead. Not terrible, but you can notice it once double looking. Kinda bums me out, but it is what it is.

I left a few things white to kinda break the black color, and added the white RPM cover. The stainless screws I think look much better then if I would have stuck with the stock black ones. I had thoughts of getting some wheels/tires, and maybe a body, But not 100% sure of what I'm gonna do with it just yet.

I did not touch the internals of the shocks, Im sure they need a rebuild, But if I keep it, It would only see a shelf either way.

Shes not super mint of course, as it does have some signs of being used, chassis and bumper wear, But I'm happy with the way it turned out, I think its a nice example of these molded chassis's, Just done in black.

Heres some more pics! 8)

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Amazing what some cleaning, a well-done black dye job to remove the ugly, and correct reassembly can do for an RC10. Even a bright pink/red/blue/green abomination from the 80's can look surprisingly good afterwards.

I've never seen any other dye color, even when done properly, that looks as good as basic black. Anything else looks toy-ish and cartoon-like.

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

I guess that I remain in the minority around here. I thought that the pink looked awesome (and very era-correct, for that matter). I would have purchased some pink Rit dye and gone just a little darker instead of black. Everything RC is black these days. Dare to be different... :wink:

Color aside, this is a really cool car and build. Thanks for sharing.
Something clever goes here...

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Thanks guys for the comments, I first thought about going pink again on the chassis, and doing everything else in black, But in the end black won me over, both for convenience (able to do all parts at once) and the simple fact I kinda wanted a more "modern" look to it. Plus the stainless hardware looks nice on black. :wink:

I did order some wheels for it from JC racing out of the UK, I have a question about tires, Have any of you guys that use the JC wheels ever use the new Schumacher tires? I mean yes their 2.2 size, was curious of how they actually do fit and look?

I guess my main concern was more about the fronts , I have seen a few pictures of the JC wheels on different RC10's and to me some of the front tires just look to tall.....I was looking at the cut stagger fronts, They have a "low profile" or a "slim" I guess the low profile would not be not as tall of course, Just didn't know how they "fit" on the JC wheels, Don't want them to look over stretched on the width? If you know what I mean.

I should have the wheels in about another week I would estimate, I just gotta decide on some tires yet. :?

Edit: It does have some pink......The shorty antenna tube :lol:

Dave

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

The wheels come in from JC RACING today, I also picked up some Schumacher tires from Ebay, the front tires have this white/gray film/powder on them, I'm guessing it's a release agent from the tire mold?

I haven't yet opened them, and was wondering if this stuff cleans off easily and or what to use? I have kinda read mixed stories on what to use with different results.
I wonder why the rears are perfectly clean and only the fronts have the grayish film? I mean I guess I have seen this in the past, but just kinda weird.

Been busy at work and haven't had much of a chance to do anything else except eat/sleep/work....repeat. Will update when I can.
Attachments
20190409_170531.jpg
20190409_170651.jpg

Headling
Approved Member

Post by Headling »

Warm up the grey tyres with a heat gun normally sorts it
If in doubt go flat out!

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

Really nice build!

I just read through the whole thread, and I’m like oh no it’s not finished yet?!?

Can’t wait to see her finished
*** POWDER - KING ***

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Hey guys, was able to get the wheels and tires mounted up, came out pretty good, I didnt use any foams for the tires, the fronts fit ok, I think the bead on the schumacher fronts are just a tad to wide, as they seem to not sit exactly perfect, but for a display I can live with it. The rears fit great, however one of the tires is missing like 6 knobby from the factory, again fine for a display, but kinda bummed me out.

I was thinking of getting a body for it, but I think I'm done at this point, Shes gonna be going up on the bay for sale here like real soon (maybe tonight) I just bought some new lawn equipment, riding mower, trimmers, etc. And I need a shed to store them in, So any extra cash will help.

Thanks for the comments and such, was a fun little resto for sure. But on to other things again.

Dave

Heres a few pics
Attachments
20190420_105916.jpg
20190420_105709.jpg
20190420_105608.jpg
20190420_110027.jpg
20190420_110055.jpg
20190420_105355.jpg