(almost...) new built JRX-Pro SE

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lonestar
Approved Member

(almost...) new built JRX-Pro SE

Post by Lonestar »

Howdy yall

long time no speak. Lots of RC as both my kids race with me now, both on- and off-road... we don't race that much, but the amount of prep/maintenance to keep >6 cars running (plus the bashers to goof around in the yard) especially when the yougsters don't understand these things just plain break when they bang boards is quite significant :lol: So that leaves about zero time for vintage... modern racers barely get done on time for the next race at all :?

Obviously, with the confinement and all, and now all cars are 100.00% ready for a racing season that is just not coming, I could finally work on a project which had been on the back burner for quite a while: My Losi Pro-SE :wink:

I can't quite recall how this one came into my possession, but this definitely was quite a few years ago. I think it *might* have been bought from @Rick Weeks, but I can't be sure. Anyways, it's a car built mostly from new parts, with a few interesting bits such as a retrofit trans (but no hydra... more on that later), lightweight bones which I think costed an arm and a leg back then, for instance. The chassis is brand spanking new, a lot of suspension parts are too. The whole car except the servo rod seems to be mounted on tecnacraft-lookalikes, and then there's that amazing powdercoated neon yellow motor plate which complements those wheels so perfectly 8)

Net, a perfect base for a good-looking shelfer :)

(TBC'ed)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

jb7778
Approved Member

Re: (almost...) new built JRX-Pro SE

Post by jb7778 »

She's a beut! The uneven finish/look of the molded chassis even new out of a kit box used to drive me crazy!!

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Great looking car. I would love to get a better picture of those aluminum drives.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Cheers guys for the kind comments.

The box-art mill for the Pro SE is a Losi Revolution "Jr's Choice" probably because it was Gil's favorite wind, I believe a 16x2. I don't have one, but I have this:

The only yokomo-based motor I'm willing to sacrifice is a bit too modern (cooling vents on the stator, a few black bits too many), but that'll do, all the others have perfectly good stickers that I am not at all inclined to remove. I am a lot less hardcore about period-correctness than I was in the past, if only because I have sooo much RC stuff in tyhe man-cave already I don't want to buy anything else in the next 25yrs :mrgreen:

Once cleaned- and stickied-up, and then mounted on that lovely yellow plate:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Lavigna wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:45 am Great looking car. I would love to get a better picture of those aluminum drives.
Here you go:

not of the best picture quality, I now realize :? will try to do better next time. It already shows you the milling marks on the bones :)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

The rest of the work continued (the car is almost finished now but I'm trying to post this in the right order :mrgreen: )

This car will be a shelfer, and always stay there, no way I will run her in the yard, what's the point anyway when I already have so many other vintage runners that barely run one or two batteries per year... So I decided I would do things a bit differently when it comes to electronics, and not tap into the pristine, fully functional, top-of-the-line vintage electronics stash. They still have to look the part, though :wink:

A few years ago as I worked on my "black widow" TRX1, which is a runner, I had fully refurbished a very-nice looking 411P. Only to find out that it was just not working when I first plugged it in :lol: It still looks good though, but as most of you know, the challenge with vintage speedoes that have already been wired is to make sure the wiring works with the car you want to drop them in. In the Pro SE, fitting the electronics is a challenge anyway because the side poontoons are so narrow... Net, I was able to make this work with all kinds of cheating such turning the endbell upside down to allow the soldering - who cares if it runs backward because it won't run anyway :lol:

Then the steering servo - I am using a standard airtronics from bitd, a 94102 from my box-o-vintage-servos... Somehow it had a KP servo saver on it already, AND a (cheap) threaded rod installed... perfect candidate for this build. It's a bit of a weak servo, but it will be perfect for shelf duties. The Pro SE chassis is not drilled to mount the servo on anything than servo tape, and I am not planning on drilling it. Again, who cares, I am not planning on running it anwyway :lol:

I have to admit that such as small bit of tape was not enough to hold the servo in place at all when moving the wheels "by hand", so I replaced it with a bigger one later :roll:

Now we have throttle and steering (for show only!) , we need a radio. I had a spare Aitronics receiver and a TX-only VT-2P on the same 75Mhz band, and I believe this is the correct pair anyway. Plus the VT-2P is missing the battery retainer bottom part (if anyone has a spare one ...), so it was not going to be used on any runner anyway :lol:

This is actually a pretty sizeable receiver - and space is limited on the racing-only SE:

That antenna is at least 3 ft long (I'm barely exaggerating here :lol: A bit of black shring wrap helps a lot. Looks much tidier now.

And with the radio (and its missing battery tray which one cannot see anyway!)

TBC... :)

Nige55
Approved Member

Post by Nige55 »

Sooooo nice, awesome build. One of my fave cars ever. Loving that Tekin in it too <3

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

I love it!!!

Did you replace the battery box foam too, or was the existing foam still in good shape?

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

jkelm24 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:04 pm I love it!!!

Did you replace the battery box foam too, or was the existing foam still in good shape?

Not sure, but if it's new it's at least 10 years old anyway :mrgreen: