Marui Ninja Build

The place for all things Marui.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

caesar

Marui Ninja Build

Post by caesar »

Hi Guys,

I'm about to start a cleanup/restore on my Marui Ninja. It's in a pretty bad state and parts are hard to come by so most likey it will just be a tear down to clean and rebuild with what I have, unless parts fall from the sky :)
Has any one had experience with the repo body from penquin? Is the quality good?

Pics below of what I'm working with.

Cheers
Rob
Attachments
20200927_170750-756x1008.jpg
20200927_170451-1008x756.jpg
20200927_170430-1008x756.jpg
20200927_170401-1008x756.jpg
20200927_170347-1008x756.jpg

blast
Approved Member

Re: Marui Ninja Build

Post by blast »

Nice project you got ! It's seems almost complete.
I bought several bodies from Penguin : they are affordable but the lexan is too flexible , so they can easily crack at corners for example , I use them for the shelf for now .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Looks like a good starting point , very intact , from what I've read its the rear bumper mounts broken off the gearbox that you'll struggle to find parts for , otherwise a good clean and a new body will have it looking much better , I must admit I find them very Marmite ( love it or hate it ) with the body style but that's just personal taste , is it going to be a runner or a display car ?
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Pyxster
Approved Member

Post by Pyxster »

Tamiya Legends on YouTube just restored a Ninja, he used a repo body and decals. You could look up his video on how it worked out for him.

https://youtu.be/Jb2ay2pBIKs

caesar

Post by caesar »

Dadio wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:13 am Looks like a good starting point , very intact , from what I've read its the rear bumper mounts broken off the gearbox that you'll struggle to find parts for , otherwise a good clean and a new body will have it looking much better , I must admit I find them very Marmite ( love it or hate it ) with the body style but that's just personal taste , is it going to be a runner or a display car ?
It's almost all there and you are correct the rear bumper mounts are broken off the gearbox and bumper is missing. The center shaft and joints is missing, I picked up new center joint from ebay and the shaft looks easier enough to make. A cleanup and new body should bring it up. It's going to be a display car, so I will just keep my eye's open and replace parts as I go.
blast wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:57 am Nice project you got ! It's seems almost complete.
I bought several bodies from Penguin : they are affordable but the lexan is too flexible , so they can easily crack at corners for example , I use them for the shelf for now .
I was going to get a body from tbg but he has nothing listed at the moment, so I might just wait until he has some.
Pyxster wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:16 am Tamiya Legends on YouTube just restored a Ninja, he used a repo body and decals. You could look up his video on how it worked out for him.

https://youtu.be/Jb2ay2pBIKs
Yep watched that video and that's whats giving me a kick in the arse to start on mine. lol

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Here's a link to my Marui Shogun resto, pretty much the same car. Maybe it might be useful. I know I had to deal with a cracked bumper mount on the rear gearbox too, fortunately mine wasn't broken right off...what a brainfart Marui engineers had when they figured it'd be a good idea to have hinky-dink plastic tabs to mount the bumper directly molded into the gearbox...sheesh! But these silly but major design flaws are found in all Marui cars from that era. Very few survivors and parts are scarce & expensive. Fortunately for you, I think Ninja parts are somewhat more common than Shogun parts.

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=44446
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

caesar

Post by caesar »

I've managed to source some NOS parts for this. Got some wheels/tires/chassis and miscellaneous parts on the way.
I just need to fabricate a rear bumper, does anyone have one liying around they can measure and maybe send some good quality pics?

Cheers
Rob

caesar

Post by caesar »

Parts are starting to arrive, just waiting on the new body/decals. Also got some bearings coming. (hopefully they're the right size)
Only thing needed now is the rear under guard and center drive shaft.
Attachments
1.jpg