My Old RC10 6 gear Trans

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DwightM73

My Old RC10 6 gear Trans

Post by DwightM73 »

Hello Forum,

My parents dug up my old RC's from their house. Tamiya Fox, Hot Shot, Optima Mid and my RC10 with the 6 gear trans. My gold pan is the closest to seeing batteries got dust her out . What I am asking is this what modern transmission would fit on the old gold pan? I would like to keep old parts from blowing up if I throw in lipo and maybe Brushless. Can't wait for this snow to melt and start working on them. Also I have a second tub that has been butchered painted etc. so thinking of swapping all out to preserve the gold pan. Any suggestions or links to previous projects would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
D

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Re: My Old RC10 6 gear Trans

Post by matt1ptkn »

There are projects similar to yours all over the forum. With a simple search, you should find more than enough ideas to help you out. The stock 6 gear transmission can hold up well to mild brushless power if it is built properly. Especially if you use the black plastic idler gears. You will be very limited in finding any other drop in transmissions, or at least ones that won't require modification of some type. Your best bet may be to find a used Stealth transmission. Check eBay. You'll need to drill new mounting holes in the chassis, though. Share some photos when you get the chance!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

DwightM73

Post by DwightM73 »

This is helpful I know that stealth transmissions work but finding one are pricey. Looking to have some fun with it. Not too many 30 year old parts are available. Do you believe Associate will Re-Release The gold pan again?

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

DwightM73 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:54 pm This is helpful I know that stealth transmissions work but finding one are pricey. Looking to have some fun with it. Not too many 30 year old parts are available. Do you believe Associate will Re-Release The gold pan again?
I really doubt AE will offer this car again. As I understand it, the tooling (molds, forms, fixtures, etc.) that were made to produce the re-release RC10 were lost, stolen or destroyed. Tooling is very costly to make so I believe it would be very difficult for AE to recover their investment on another run of these cars.
Perhaps there could be a resurgence in popularity for the hobby at some point in the future and this could spur another round of re-releases but I rather doubt that will ever happen. RC appears to be traveling down the same path as model railroading; like your grandfather's hobby.
Doug

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

yep....but it does make the Classic more "Classic" in my opinion, but i don't have one. I concur the vintage hobby is definitely for older blokes. I always look at peoples profile to see how old they are, (some wont disclose that info) but its always usually 45 yrs and up....and we're only getting older :lol:
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

coxbros1 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:03 pm I concur the vintage hobby is definitely for older blokes. I always look at peoples profile to see how old they are, (some wont disclose that info) but its always usually 45 yrs and up....and we're only getting older :lol:
Speak for yourself.

While it has become painfully obvious that I'm not young anymore, I'm far from old. :lol:

While my knees and hands aren't what they used to be, I can still put the young guys at work to shame. My knowledge and experience makes me more efficient.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

i just checked....u are a young'n!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Carknowledge101
Approved Member

Post by Carknowledge101 »

Who says it’s for old guys :lol: I like older rigs better than the new stuff... With the exception of one or two vehicles. But I’d say build it based off what you want it to do. And if you have a beat up chassis you can mod it to take a newer transmission. And a Scx10 transmission is a direct fit but a gearing change is in order.