Slammed looking body on gold pan

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

askbob
Approved Member

Slammed looking body on gold pan

Post by askbob »

Are there any of the newer looking low fitting bodies that will work well on the gold pan chassis?

fredswain
Approved Member

Re: Slammed looking body on gold pan

Post by fredswain »

A few people have adapted some modern bodies to the older cars. My objection to these bodies is when you see the rear shock tower sticking up behind them like a giant air brake and the rear wings cut out because they sit behind the rear shocks. At this point they are nearly useless for aerodynamics and are only decoration. It's the modern trend though. I personally feel that the RC10 team car body is the nicest body ever made for the RC10 but that's just me.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

I really like the protech II body. Really looking for some pics of something newer on the gold chassis.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The protech II is a hard shell to find original, and there are questionable reproductions about the bay- as for the "slammed" look, it can be achieved with any one of the AE shells, and even some of the B4 shells but they all require the chassis to be shaved on the sides in order to get the shell low-

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Nothing is as ugly as the old Parma Eagle body! My friend has one because it's different and I can't help but laugh everytime I see his car. He even thinks it's ugly. He just likes it because no one else has it.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Thanks for the input. I definitely don't want to cut down the frame. Might the B3 body work? I like the original body too, but kind of fancy the Protech II. Who might have a decent reproduction? It doesn't have to be hard core exact, but very similar.

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

B3 won't fit . If you want to Slam a gold pan you are going to half to cut the chassis. If you can't find the the pro II body go with the viper body.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Bob-

look up teambluegroove on ebay. They have recently added a protech II to their line. Some have said TBG's product is iffy, and I know in the beginning there were some that "shattered" on guys running them. I just bought my first repro body from TBG and it seems fine to me. That said, I don't do the "restore and shelf" thing. I wanted a runner body, and wasn't concerned with perfectly formed mold lines etc. To me, its hard to swallow the price of the repro when you can get a viper or protech for 1/3 to 1/4 the cost, but it was worth it to me NOT to have what everyone else has.

Here's my TBG Optima Pro on an Ultima Pro (Mid conversion) I went mid to save more of the appearance of the body, and to keep those shock towers from invading the wings airflow. This body looks a little more low profile than the original Ultima Pro body also.

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

What about this body? Will it fit the gold pan? This is the direction I also want to take the paint scheme.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

yes, that's a viper. Still available widely, and inexpensively. A little hint, extend the clear area of the windshield down the hood, it looks better as the mold lines for the windshield are a little small. That one has a nice scheme though. :D

nsr250_repsol
Approved Member

Post by nsr250_repsol »

losiXXXman wrote:yes, that's a viper. Still available widely, and inexpensively. A little hint, extend the clear area of the windshield down the hood, it looks better as the mold lines for the windshield are a little small. That one has a nice scheme though. :D
Good Point! That was my body, just sold it to askbob, and I never nottice the front window does look a little small. I wouldn't make it much bigger though, otherwise the line from the bottom of the front window wouldnlt look right in respect to the side windows. Maybe keep the window size the same but make the trim line under the indented mold line...I have painted countless vibers and never really notticed this before now :( You sir, have a very good eye for details! Thank You :D
eBay ID: Nsr250_sp_repsol

Jeremywhipkey99

Post by Jeremywhipkey99 »

askbob wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:08 am I really like the protech II body. Really looking for some pics of something newer on the gold chassis.
Hi I realize this is an old thread but maybe someone else will need this information. You can use modern stock car race car bodies by installing a Vintage RC Associated RC10 Bolink Stock Car Body mount. They are like $26 for the mount on ebay. 30 years ago this is how the first carpet sr10 was born. We used a Bolink mount on the rc10, and then painted it like our favorite nascar drivers!!!

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Jeremywhipkey99 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:21 pm
askbob wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:08 am I really like the protech II body. Really looking for some pics of something newer on the gold chassis.
Hi I realize this is an old thread but maybe someone else will need this information. You can use modern stock car race car bodies by installing a Vintage RC Associated RC10 Bolink Stock Car Body mount. They are like $26 for the mount on ebay. 30 years ago this is how the first carpet sr10 was born. We used a Bolink mount on the rc10, and then painted it like our favorite nascar drivers!!!
Welcome to the board!

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

Jeremywhipkey99 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:21 pm
Lots of factors. You say "modern stock car body", There are many different stock car bodies on the market with varying widths and wheelbases. You also limit the description of the car to just "rc10". RC10 original short arm, rc10 ce long arm, rc10ds? All are different widths and would need different width bodies depending on how concerned with body to wheel fitment. It's best to measure out the over all length and width (front and rear) plus wheelbase and then find out what the measurements are of the body you are interested in.