Brushless motor

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bud

Brushless motor

Post by Bud »

I bought a brushless motor and esc combo for my rc10t a while back. It's a 3300kv Hobbywing. file:///C:/Users/Harvey/Desktop/Amazon.com_%20Hobby%20Wing%2038010203%20Max10%20ESC,%20with%203652SL%20Brushless%20Motor%20-%20Combo%20(3300Kv)%20_%20Toys%20&%20Games.html I haven't been able to test it yet because of the snow and I'm wondering if I should change the pinion gear. I took out a 12 turn brushed single wind motor. It has an 18 tooth pinion in it right now and I've heard from various scorces I should go up a tooth or two for the brushless setup. This is my first brushless setup so I'm kinda lost. any advice would be greatly appreiated. Thanks.

juicedcoupe

Re: Brushless motor

Post by juicedcoupe »

Best I can tell, a 3300kv is similar to a 13.5 turn sensored motor.

Here are the current 6T gearing recommendations, should be a good starting place.

Just keep in mind that the transmission ratios are different. So target the final drive ratios, not the pinion and spur combination.
Screenshot_20220127-145217_Drive.jpg
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Bud

Post by Bud »

I think I'm going to try a 20 tooth to start. That drops 2 teeth off what is recommended the 2.60 tranny. I have a 4500kv ordered too. I'm a little afraid that one might be a little hard on the tranny gears. Going to have to be careful when I try it in there. :mrgreen:

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Be careful with your diff adjustment. New diff gears and rings are getting harder to find (reasonably priced, anyway). Probably better to run a little tighter than risk trashing parts.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Bud

Post by Bud »

Just tried it out. I found I didn't have a 20 but I had a 21 tooth so I put that in. With cold road rage 2 tires it was all I could do to control it. Cold tires had a lot to do with it as we run them on our rc10gt s and have to get them warmed up before they work good. And that's in the summer. It'll be interesting when the weather warms up. Don't know what I'll do with the 4500kv I ordered. I have a lot of tranny parts and spurs so blowing the tranny wouldn't be the end of the world but still not what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help,,

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Bud wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:39 pm Just tried it out. I found I didn't have a 20 but I had a 21 tooth so I put that in. With cold road rage 2 tires it was all I could do to control it. Cold tires had a lot to do with it as we run them on our rc10gt s and have to get them warmed up before they work good. And that's in the summer. It'll be interesting when the weather warms up. Don't know what I'll do with the 4500kv I ordered. I have a lot of tranny parts and spurs so blowing the tranny wouldn't be the end of the world but still not what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help,,
People here seem to be driving some pretty powerful brush-less set-ups.

Between the slipper and the punch controls on a modern brushless you shouldn't have to blow up anything.
  • Set the slipper properly. That is going to help with making sure that the drive train isn't over stressed.
    If you need a new v1 slipper pad kidagain has some. Make sure you don't have the slipper locked out.
  • Set the punch control of the esc to be softer, basically limit low end torque, this way if you get traction you won't tear up the transmission. That coupled with the slipper settings should keep the gears nice and healthy. Brushed systems never had this kind of setting and this can really keep you from busting up gears.
  • Run a tight diff. With the extra power make sure you keep the diff nice and healthy. Stop driving if you see one wheel stuck and the other moving so the diff doesn't melt.