Nitro Baja Beetle

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Benders
Approved Member

Nitro Baja Beetle

Post by Benders »

A while back I acquired a bunch of nitro stuff from a clean out basically…there was 11 cars/trucks in it in various states…today I started pulling out the ones that I thought would take the least amount of work and parts to get up and running…and please don’t give me grief as to the condition of this thing…it is as I found it at the moment…

Not knowing anything about nitros I reached out to a friend that’s into everything rc related…which I was in the process of sending him pics via text…as soon as I sent him pics of this thing he called me…from what I understand these are rarer than hens teeth…it’s a Kyosho nitro Baja beetle…which from what I understand was released in 97 and then was rereleased again in 01…the 01 had a little bit bigger motor on it from my understanding…now I have some questions to those that know these cars…it appears that someone removed the front axles/dogbones from it…it’s my understanding these are 4wd…and as the pics will show it’s missing a rear dogbone as well…I’ve searched using Baja beetle axle in the search engine which I get several that pop up so I don’t know how hard it’s going to be to find them…the next is the tires…it still wears the Kyosho chevrons that I’m sure are original to it however they are more than dry rotted so I’m wondering if those are available at all given what it is…I have found a body for it and plan on giving it a good scrubbing in simple green with a toothbrush and then reassess where it’s at…I would like to get it up and running but I’ve also been told to put it on the shelf afterwards just to preserve it…any help or guidance here would be greatly appreciated to say the least…
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 9.16.24 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 9.19.10 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 9.20.49 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 9.19.10 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 9.17.48 PM.png

Benders
Approved Member

Re: Nitro Baja Beetle

Post by Benders »

Apparently I ain’t worth .02 when it comes to posting pics…I uploaded them from my phone in order and I’ve posted the same pics multiple times…gotta love technology…

Hemiclod
Approved Member

Post by Hemiclod »

I believe the beetle, snakebite, and wild dodge ram all used same chassis. Check ebay for parts perhaps.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Hmm, I thought your car looked familiar. Google search and presto

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=45233

I think you're lucky to find this. Very cool little Bug. It's sorta like Tamiya's Monster Beetle but nitro and 4WD.

Here's a manual
http://www.dirt-burners.com/rcdox/Manuals/Kyosho/Kit%20manuals/1-10th%20scale/Gas%20powered/31681%20-%20%20Field%20Baja%20Beetle%20%28EN-FR-DE%29.pdf

TBG has the body
https://teambluegroove.com/collections/kyosho/products/vintage-kyosho-field-baja-qrc-beetle-body-set
Doug

Benders
Approved Member

Post by Benders »

XLR8 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:08 pm Hmm, I thought your car looked familiar. Google search and presto

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=45233

I think you're lucky to find this. Very cool little Bug. It's sorta like Tamiya's Monster Beetle but nitro and 4WD.

Here's a manual
http://www.dirt-burners.com/rcdox/Manuals/Kyosho/Kit%20manuals/1-10th%20scale/Gas%20powered/31681%20-%20%20Field%20Baja%20Beetle%20%28EN-FR-DE%29.pdf

TBG has the body
https://teambluegroove.com/collections/kyosho/products/vintage-kyosho-field-baja-qrc-beetle-body-set
I researched every post I could find on one before making the thread…wasn’t many…I don’t know if this one is a original 97 or a 01 (not that that matters to me anyhow…) which I’m leaning more towards a 97 because I would think the fan to be a upgrade for the 01 version…however none of the ones I’ve seen has had a yellow jug on it other than this one…which has me wondering if that’s either a upgrade or someone changed the motor…there’s also some funky wiring going on in the back of it which I assume is for a electric start? All of that will be documented and removed after it gets a good cleaning…might just put it in the truck and blow the guys mind at the local hobby shop once again…so far I’ve don’t it with a clod, and a x crawler each on separate visits…