Demon motor feature identification

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Frankentruck

Demon motor feature identification

Post by Frankentruck »

There's a Demon motor that has this unusual extra feature on the side of the can. It's a removable endbell modified motor, so this feature shouldn't be associated with holding the endbell to the can. Any thoughts what this could be for? I'm presuming it was added by a previous owner but could be mistaken.

Screenshot_20220623-072217.png
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

ChocoTaco73
Approved Member

Re: Demon motor feature identification

Post by ChocoTaco73 »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:30 am There's a Demon motor the has this unusual extra feature on the side of the can. It's a removable endbell modified motor, so this feature shouldn't be associated with holding the endbell to the can. Any thoughts what this could be for? I'm presuming it was added by a previous owner but could be mistaken.
Hard to tell, is the whole thing solder or is it something soldered to the can?
James - Losi fanatic :lol:

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I'm not sure. That was the best picture available. It looks like something else might be there more than solder. The label doesn't look burnt and that seems to be very large for being a random solder blob in that location.
Screenshot_20220623-085020.png
Screenshot_20220623-084934.png
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:30 am There's a Demon motor the has this unusual extra feature on the side of the can. It's a removable endbell modified motor, so this feature shouldn't be associated with holding the endbell to the can. Any thoughts what this could be for? I'm presuming it was added by a previous owner but could be mistaken.
Might be a good candidate to run past dinglem, being a Demon motor and all.
-Jerry-

Tommyd

Post by Tommyd »

From looking at it, was defiantly added on. My question to you is, the motor stock? Asking because I do something similar to my stock motors its for soldering on diodes on stock motors instead on mid motor for ground… just makes it cleaner. Now if its a modified most have lugs to add on to the top endbell where stock do not.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

This is a modified motor and it does have the capacitor soldering lugs. With stock motors I'm used to having can solder blobs, but usually not in this location. This feature just seemed a little different to me than what I'm familiar with so I thought maybe there could be another explanation. When I receive the motor in a few weeks I'll be able to examine it better.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I received the motor today. That was just a solder blob in an odd location. I removed it. I did also learn to be careful cleaning the can. The printing on the label can come off.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

DOH!!

Only just seen this thread - sorry.

Looks like you worked it out anyway. Which motor label type is it? I can see it is the gold version, but is it the one with the typical Demon 'devil' logo or is it the later one with the spinning arrow on it? If the latter, i have some original gold prism label Power King stickers here and i can happily send you one.

Motor cleaner strips these decals in one hit.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

307709753_492038629194499_3656218129438853070_n.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

The label lost very little during my cleaning. I was cleaning around the label and the timing marks were lost. I think it originally had a devil on it. It looks like the tip of the tail remains. The label was already mostly cleaned off when I got it.

My 2 red label Demons have nicer labels. I would like to do something nice with this gold label but I'm also ok with keeping the original label.
PXL_20220928_130137761.jpg
PXL_20220928_130807906.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

I think it was a label like the ones i have..... the POWER is at the top whereas on the devil logo ones it is below the timing marks.

Happy to send you a new original if required bud.
47683406_10158013603551258_5223181196921405440_n.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

That's a nice band of demons. 👹

I had never seen or hear of any in the US before seeing them on this site, but they definitely have character to them.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

I have quite a few, right from the very early silver can versions. These are just the ones not in cars. The best looking motor labels ever in my humble opinion.
240455820_10161303799566258_6377857008295500848_n.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Looking at your labels and again at my motor, it does look very much like this motor has a worn power king label. That replacement label would make a fantastic restoration for this motor.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The red label with the demon figure is just so iconic to any Brit racer , you just saw it everywhere.
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.