Things that inspire you

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Things that inspire you

Post by TokyoProf »

Post the things, people, or experiences that inspired you along this journey called life.

I will begin (thanks to juicedcoupe for the idea)

Ft. Tom Sherman--a childhood hero for me. A life in service of others. Intellectual, humble, funny, and joyful. I wanted to be a Jesuit because of him, but holiness, I discovered is a hard path as I got older. Still, I saw through him that giving to others, and a life lived responsibly, is good for the soul and for the community.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

Steve71
Approved Member

Re: Things that inspire you

Post by Steve71 »

Alan Watts is someone that has inspired me a lot over the years as I get older. I have listened to a lot of his lectures, read numerous books of his, and own a few of his lectures on dvd. He was just a very well grounded straight forward type person and had a way of speaking that came across in a way that made you want to listen to him.

For those that don't know who is is this is one of his short lecture snippets set to one of Ludovico Einaudi's songs, which he just happens to be my favorite composer.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

What does it tell us about ourselves the that the "things that irritate us" thread is six pages long and this one has 2 posts (3 now) :lol:

I joke, but in reality I think we humans are naturally inclined to vocalize their complaints and internalize their inspirations.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

How many times can you be truly inspired? I mean, really inspired.

But you can be truly irritated many times a day.

Let's face it. The number of irritating morons out there greatly outnumber inspirational people.

Then there is the problem that some people are inspired by the same people who irritate others (religion and politics). Its not that I don't have religious or political beliefs, I just don't want to hear about someone else's.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Mortality (trump and Putin should be gone one day) with a bit of luck I'll see it

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Payday
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Something that makes my heart soar is watching my dogs tearing through the woods or across fields , they're Border Collies and so agile , I just watch memorized as they thread round trees flat out , how they don't trip up or collide with a tree is beyond me , I'm just in awe in those moments, almost riding with them , what it must be like to move like that , that's my daily inspiration .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

threesheds wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:38 pm Mortality (trump and Putin should be gone one day) with a bit of luck I'll see it
:lol: Am I reading that right? You are inspired by the thought that people you don't like will eventually die?

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

Dadio wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:30 am Something that makes my heart soar is watching my dogs tearing through the woods
This reminds of the dog olympics, or whatever they call the athletic competitions in which trainers lead their dogs through an obstacle course. It is truly astounding how they can move and how fast they can go! Similarly- frisbee dogs just basically tell the laws of physics to go to h---. :lol:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

1911Colt wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:14 am
Dadio wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:30 am Something that makes my heart soar is watching my dogs tearing through the woods
This reminds of the dog olympics, or whatever they call the athletic competitions in which trainers lead their dogs through an obstacle course. It is truly astounding how they can move and how fast they can go! Similarly- frisbee dogs just basically tell the laws of physics to go to h---. :lol:
Agility dogs and flyball dogs are just bonkers but lack the natural backdrop .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

juicedcoupe wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:29 pm How many times can you be truly inspired? I mean, really inspired.

But you can be truly irritated many times a day.
Absolutely spot on! 8)

I've been working on my negativity lately, though the "irritation" thread may not reflect this. :mrgreen: One of my issues is random thoughts will conjure internal arguments and irritation. If I don't stop these as soon as they begin, they can truly ruin my mood and day very quickly. The best way to end these negative thoughts is to replace them with positive thoughts, whether that's affirmations or good memories. I had a preteen foster daughter through the 90's, she was truly an exceptional little being! She was loved by everyone who met her. I use my memories of her to break the negative thoughts and arguments, works every time!

A quick story about her, I'm a contractor and I always went to my supplier at the end of the day to stock up for the following day. It became our "thing" for her and I to go together, she even asked my wife to stay home so that it would just be our time together. At any rate, once at the suppliers, we'd go through the store and gather up the supplies, then head to the contractors counter to check out. They'd let her run the register and check us out. About the third time of doing this, she made a bee-line for behind the counter and I stopped her. She gave me a funny look, the people behind the counter gave me a funny look, but all understood when I explained that this was a place of business, that she can't just go running behind the counter without being invited. From that point forward she'd either ask or they'd call her invite her back as soon as they saw her.

As I said, she was loved by everyone who met her and we got many many compliments on what a wonderful child she was. I have a deep catalog of stories just like this that never fail to snap me out of a funk. 8)
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

I picked up a few things along the way from different folks I knew. I wish I did and knew the following in my 20s lol.

Joseph: funniest guy and most positive person in any room.
Sean: dude would compliment (almost irritatingly) the hell out of everyone--EVERYONE liked the guy.
Mr. M: he was the smiliest cheerful guy I have ever met in school. I asked him what the story was with him being so damn happy and smiley ALL THE TIME. He said when he
got on a bus, children would look at his face and cry. He had a dark and unhappy face or natural frown that scared kids. He made a decision to practice smiling and being
happy after that traumatic experience. True story.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Being miserable is easy , nothing good comes easy , sometimes being happy is just a choice .

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Dadio wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:48 am Being miserable is easy , nothing good comes easy , sometimes being happy is just a choice .
Screenshot_20220226-140057_Samsung Internet.jpg
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.